Baby Goats--Moe, Larry and Curly :)

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Baby Goats--Moe, Larry and Curly :)

Post by PeteE »

I got some video of baby goats "playing" at Logan Pass.
While we saw some goats at the Hidden Lake overlook, the real fun was on the way back home.
As we drove by the overlook just below Logan Pass, we noticed some nannies and their kids.
So I stopped and shot the best goat video I ever made.
If you like goats, I'm 100% certain you'll love this video--all 9 minutes. :mrgreen:

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Jay w

Re: Baby Goats--Moe, Larry and Curly :)

Post by Jay w »

Reminds me of the dance my dog and I go through we I'm trying to answer an email and she thinks it's time for a walk.

Fun,

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Carol Lynn
Gender?: Female

Post by Carol Lynn »

What a fun video to watch Pete. Thanks for posting!
netresult

Post by netresult »

Pete, you certainly have had your share of great wildlife encounters this season! Keep em' coming :) :)
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Enchanting!
Last edited by Tiggy on Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Those kids are so stinkin' cute! Looked like Mountain Goat Wrestlemania to me. That must have been so fun to watch. Thanks for sharing.

Tina
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Thanks everyone for the comments. :mrgreen:

It's better to be lucky than good as the old saw goes...and I really got lucky on this video.
Baby goats are really fun to watch all the time.
However, finding 3 of them together at the right place, at the right time, playing together like these three were, is a rare opportunity.[for me]

It's difficult for me to tell them apart. So I'm not sure which was the one exhibiting the "dominance" behavior.
Isn't it interesting how through "play" they begin sorting out the pecking order at such an early age?
These goats are only about 3-4 months old. I think goats are born late spring? April-May?

Thanks for y'all cheering me up a bit this morning.
I woke up at about 3AM feeling sort of queezy/weird/upset stomach. It was odd. :(
And though I feel OK now, it's too late to go do what I wanted to do today... :evil:
It borders on criminal to be inside today- It's so beautiful outside this morning after enduring the nasty smoke, etc. the last few days.
I had really wanted to try going up on Piegan today, especially after ScoutMom told me it had a little snow on it!
Oh well....there will be other days.
I need to shut up since I am blessed to live here.

pete :wink:

Here are some more pictures from the same day at Logan Pass.
I'll post them here rather than start another thread.

Those of you who like watching and/or photographing sheep and goats should spend some time at Logan Pass.
Early morning and late in the afternoon are best in my opinion, especially if it is hot. (HOT weather returns this coming Tuesday too)
If early mornings aren't doable for you, drive up to Logan pass after dinner. Plenty of parking then.

All the below goat pictures were taken about 100 yards past the Hidden Lake overlook.

I like this one since the flowers are going by with all the heat and dry weather

Ever vigilant and now beautiful in their new coats

This looks like an older nannie. She has a very nice horns...long and come to sharp points--and formidable weapons if needed defending her kid.

My name is "Hank", Who the hell are you? 8)

The goats and I get along just fine...Thank you very much :)

Here are a few random shots taken from the Mt Oberlin trail. The sun rose above the ridge line about 7:52AM

I fiddled around with closer shots like water cascades, etc since the smoke was so bad

If you look closely, you'll see the people on the Hidden Lake trail in the upper left of the frame of top picture

My name is "Cindy" and I'm trying to watch my weight. Don't I look good? 8) Please don't feed me your human junk food when visiting Glacier Park.[/b]

Thanks for viewing

pete
:wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Deb1741

Post by Deb1741 »

Great video and pics. I especially like the video of the waterfall taken from the side- a good angle that a lot of people tend not thing about when taking pics. If you handhold your camera while taking vidoes you do a great job holding the camera steady. I can handhold the camera steady if I don't have to zoom in a whole lot. Braeden does way better keeping it steady when the zoom is cranked up. I bought a monopod treking pole that works great for the camera (Sony 20x zoom). The pole is very sturdy but lightweight so is very usable for hiking.

I wonder if the pre-teen hormones were working overtime on the kids. I've seen bison calves trying to mount each other just like that in Yellowstone. I love the pics of the marmots.....Glacier marmots are way more attractive than Yellowstone marmots. Glacier marmots seem more used to people.....in Yellowstone they don't seem to let you get very close and they don't stick around for too long.

Thanks for sharing your pics. It has helped with my sadness over having to change our plans to backpack there the 2nd week of August. We didn't change our plans because of the fires but I sure hope the park gets some relief soon.
Deb
"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast" ~ unknown
"Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way" ~ Dr. Suess

Return to “Photography”