Sony DSC HX10V "point and shoot" camera

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Sony DSC HX10V "point and shoot" camera

Post by PeteE »

I know it's a bit weird that I'm doing what amounts to a sort of review of my lil Sony P&S camera on the eve of the arrival my new Sony A77 II...
But I'll still be using my Sony DSC HX10V P&S for backup and specific situations.

The point I want to make regards the "sharpness" and overall quality one can achieve with P&S cameras...at least the Sony H10.
Lots of glass in the 16X(max) zoom but this lil cam still makes 1st class images and video for the money.

So those of you who may not want to spend the money on a full size DSLR with all it's "bells and whistles" might want to look at this model(it's still available).
Or something similar from Sony. The image quality can be quite good despite the zoom ratios with all that glass. And features like the "tracking focus" really work well.

I say that after I was looking at the technical details of the below pics. All in iAuto mode.
This first one of Clyde

Wide open f3.3 1/100 sec EV=0 ISO =100 lens at 4mm(fully wide)35mm FoV =~24mm
Technically not a great picture, but the exposure was at the extreme end of it's limit and still pretty good I like it anyway

Clyde had calmed down and was pretty still. Much sharper image. Still same exposure specs on this one---at the extreme wide open end.

These next two images show something about the sharpness one can achieve. This top image is the original "full frame" image as it came from the camera--~4600pixels x 3600pixels. Zoomed out to 56mm(14X) f 5.6 EV=0 1/100 sec ISO800

This is same image cropped to 750 pixels X 705 pixels. Yet look at his eye. The white streak you see from center eye to "8 O'Clock" is the snow bank he was sitting on. The dark area from 8 to about 1 is the dense trees behind the snow bank.The white area opposite the snowbank is "sky". and the large grey area is the pavement of the parking lot on the exit side. I think the image is pretty darned good considering it's zoomed 14X, etc. You can even see the tiny feathers under his eye that look like "eyelashes" in this image.

My lil buddy "Stinker"(Steller's jay, another corvid cousin of Clyde) showed up at some point. I could hear him long before I spotted him. These pics are all zoomed to the max--64mm(35mm FoV = 384mm) /b] :!:
Plus, the lens is stopped to 5.9(all the way) 1/250 sec ISO500. Hand held while leaning back to shoot straight up, these images of Stinker would have been impossible without "tracking focus" and "image stabilization"....both of which work well imo on the H10

Fully zoomed f5.9 1/200sec ISO800

This came out well. Zoomed 14X at 58mm f5.6 1/125 ISO800. The histogram looked pretty good

Bonnie making one of her strange calls. Zoomed 14X-58mm F5.6 1/250 ISO 800 EV0

Bonnie again. I liked the look of her tilting her head like that. Same exposure as above

I As I was getting ready to leave. I heard Clyde clomp across the roof and jump down to the mirror. The window was closed so he flew up on the door to keep an eye on me 8)

pete :wink:
Last edited by PeteE on Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
PeteE

Re: Sony DSC HX10V "point and shoot" camera

Post by PeteE »

Here is the video of Clyde's "vocalization". Clyde rarely makes any calls, but today he was making some I had never heard before.
55 seconds

I have a couple more pics and video but they will go better on the Spring 2016 thread.

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I probably should look at my own posts more often. I had put the same picture of Clyde in twice.
This is Bonnie as she is just beginning to make one of her strange (to humans) calls.
It's difficult to capture because she blinks her nictitating membrane when making her calls.
This image was a split second before she blinked. I just got lucky---finally. 8)

Bonnie making one of her strange calls. Zoomed 14X-58mm F5.6 1/250 ISO 800 EV0

George Carlin
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

That first one is great! Wow, so close...like you had to back up to get a shot.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Jay w wrote:That first one is great! Wow, so close...like you had to back up to get a shot.

Jay
Yeah, I did have to lean back away from him. His bill was only a few inches away from the lens. I got lucky with the timing.
Sometimes he likes to "peck" at the lens. Maybe it looks like an "eye" to him. I don't know.
I won't let him get that close with my new cam!!! It's no good at that close range anyway.

Another reason to not let Clyde ever get near my face too. These animals are scary quick with that bill.
I always keep the camera between Clyde and my face.
That lil Sony HC10 does a great job for what it is.
I highly recommend it for a point and shoot cam.

Thanks Jay!

George Carlin

Return to “Photography”