Photo editing software (split off from Pete's 2017 snaps)

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Photo editing software (split off from Pete's 2017 snap

Post by PeteE »

ND wrote:Yup, Elements has those tools. I usually use Clone tool. I'm surprised you already have dust spots. Doesn't your camera have a cleaning mode option, sort of like vibrating the dust away? Or maybe the dust is on the outside of your lens. Then never mind! :oops:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/24070 ... l?page=200
Hey Ken:

Yes, it has a cleaning mode. That didn't help.
The spot doesn't seem to show with either my Sony 35MM or my old 58MM Rokkar.
So it may well be on the 16mm lens.
As for dust already. It's over a year old.
Unfortunately, I guess I'm kinda hard on equipment.
I'll have to bemore careful.

Thanks Ken

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Supersonic_Blimp

Post by Supersonic_Blimp »

One more thing-- if it shows up on one lens and not the other, it doesn't necessarily mean it's on the lens, it could just be the settings. If you want to tell for sure, shoot with multiple lenses on the questionable body with the minimum aperture (f as high as it will go) and make sure to keep your ISO down. Depending on the lenses, they may be settling on different f stops (if that's being auto set) which can hide dust on the sensor. If I shoot completely wide open, I generally never see sensor dust. (Just a warning, closing it down and on a white wall and seeing it all, makes you question how your camera can take any pictures with all gunk though!)
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Supersonic_Blimp wrote:for those dust spots...
Dust spots on the sensor appear as out of focus blobs on digital photos. They are a common problem especially on cameras with interchangeable lenses. When you change lenses dust can easily enter the sensor area. The spots are most noticeable in places on the photo that are of a uniform texture and color. Like the sky.

Small specks on lenses will usually not appear on photos. Still it is a good idea to keep lenses clean and free of dust as that dust will degrade overall image quality. Always keep a lens cap on the front of the lenses when not shooting. Keep both front and rear caps on lenses that are not on the camera.

Dust specks on the mirror of a single lens reflex camera will appear in the view finder but they will not appear on the photo because the mirror moves up and out of the way when the shutter button in pressed.

Sensor cleaning is a difficult task that requires great care. The most I do with my cameras is to use a rocket blower to blow the dust off the sensor. This is a small rubber bulb with a nozzle. Squeeze the bulb and a blast of air can be directed toward the sensor. Do not use canner air for this as the propellant in canned air can get on the sensor and cause more problems. Most dust specks can be removed with a rocket blower. Changing lenses in the rain or snow can result in more serious specks that are more difficult to remove.

BTW: Some camera manufacturers include dust spect removal in there software. My canon camera (5D MKII) has this. It combines a blank image image captured by the camera sing the dust speck removal function of the camera with the processing software provided by Canon called Digital Photo Professional. Check the camera manual carefully to learn how to do this.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Thank you EarMountain for a very informative post---informative for me anyway.
Looks like I will not be changing lenses much, if at all, while out hiking in the future.
One more lesson learned.

That should do it for this thread.
I say end it.

Thanks to all

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Carol Lynn
Gender?: Female

Post by Carol Lynn »

When you do change lenses Pete, always hold the front of your camera down (the lens hole facing the ground). Less chance of dust/dirt getting into your camera that way.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Carol Lynn wrote:When you do change lenses Pete, always hold the front of your camera down (the lens hole facing the ground). Less chance of dust/dirt getting into your camera that way.
Good point!
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
JamesBurkett

Post by JamesBurkett »

This is a great topic, thank you! And what about retouching wedding photos, I recently found an article about what is better for wedding photo editing http://wedding-retouching.com/blog/post ... iting.html It seems to me that the lightroom is best suited, but I do not have much experience, can you advise me where to start?

Return to “Photography”