Photo editing software (split off from Pete's 2017 snaps)

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Photo editing software (split off from Pete's 2017 snaps)

Post by PeteE »

PeteE wrote:
Jay w wrote:I love that gorge. I've blown a lot of film there, and a lot of electrons. It just seems like the visual and sonic "coolness" is really hard to capture in an image (for me anyway).

Keep 'em coming.

Jay

Thanks Jay.
I talked to the fellow at the print lab today. He was really nice and will be extremely helpful going forward.
I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo far down on the knowledge curve when it comes to digital photography and especially the "print process".
It feels like I'm in "image kindergarden".
And now I understand why you have a 4K monitor 8)

pete :wink:
EDIT
After doing some research, it appears I'm done with this newest photo effort before I begin.
Neither my laptop nor my old WIN7Pro work station have video cards capable of supporting 4k graphics.
Plus. neither of the monitors I own have anywhere near the resolution needed even if the video cards were adequate.
Bummer :(

pete
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
cdsmith379
Donator
Donator

Re: 2017 "Snaps" Around Glacier plus...

Post by cdsmith379 »

PeteE wrote:
PeteE wrote:
Jay w wrote:I love that gorge. I've blown a lot of film there, and a lot of electrons. It just seems like the visual and sonic "coolness" is really hard to capture in an image (for me anyway).

Keep 'em coming.

Jay

Thanks Jay.
I talked to the fellow at the print lab today. He was really nice and will be extremely helpful going forward.
I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo far down on the knowledge curve when it comes to digital photography and especially the "print process".
It feels like I'm in "image kindergarden".
And now I understand why you have a 4K monitor 8)

EDIT
After doing some research, it appears I'm done with this newest photo effort before I begin.
Neither my laptop nor my old WIN7Pro work station have video cards capable of supporting 4k graphics.
Plus. neither of the monitors I own have anywhere near the resolution needed even if the video cards were adequate.
Bummer :(

pete

Pete, regarding 4k. I am in the market for a new camcorder for my Glacier trip and investigated 4k extensively. I came to a similar conclusion. Without a major upgrade to my home computer, TV, storage, etc, I simply could not process, store and edit 4k video. Guess I will have to stick to 1080p for the time being(oh the travesty).
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

cdsmith379 wrote:Pete, regarding 4k. I am in the market for a new camcorder for my Glacier trip and investigated 4k extensively. I came to a similar conclusion. Without a major upgrade to my home computer, TV, storage, etc, I simply could not process, store and edit 4k video. Guess I will have to stick to 1080p for the time being(oh the travesty).
Regarding video cameras, the Sony camcorder I bought 4 years ago is a good one. HDR CX260V

They say no inflation for the last few years? BS I paid 1/2 the price on Amazon 4 years ago for this same item.

As you have seen, I'm pretty rough on equipment and it's still with me 8)
The current models are probably better, but maybe not.

I also like the Sony software for basic editing.

The video card in this HP laptop is a ~1078x 760. The monitor sucks.
So I'm surprised I can do anything at all with a 6000x4000 pixel image, even viewed on the better Samsung 27" monitor I use with the laptop.
That may have been why one of the gorge prints I posted above "looked good" but the Walgreen 8x10 just plain stunk--an embarrassment.
Same Walgreen and same tech that did a pretty good job on the goat 16x20 so I don't think it was on their end. I just got lucky on the image.
The goat image just happened to actually be very sharp. The gorge picture is not despite how it "looked" on my monitor.
I just can't see what I'm doing in fine enough detail to "separate the wheat from the chaff" on my current monitor.
Or that's what I think. Doesn't matter. It sucks no matter what.

Take a look at Sony. I'm biased obviously but Sony makes good stuff when it comes to camcorders.

later

George Carlin
djallen35

Post by djallen35 »

Pete,

Love your thread here! I'm a photography lover and pictures are always better.

One question: What software do you use for post editing? You definitely have a good eye, and I think with the right editing your pictures could really pop. And no I'm not talking about photoshopping in a Grizzly in every scene, lol.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

djallen35 wrote:Pete,

Love your thread here! I'm a photography lover and pictures are always better.

One question: What software do you use for post editing? You definitely have a good eye, and I think with the right editing your pictures could really pop. And no I'm not talking about photoshopping in a Grizzly in every scene, lol.
Hi DJ!
Welcome again to the GNP chat.

I appreciate your compliment. I think my "eye" for pictures is good.
My "style", such as it is, may not appeal to everyone, but that's OK.
I can't make everyone happy! :)

I use Photoshop at the moment. I can do very basic operations, but that's it.
The PhotoFinish guy has convinced me that Lightroom is far superior. I believe it after listening to him and reading about it.

However, here are the requirements for Lightroom 6. I would spring for the subscription version today if I had adequate hardware to use with it.
It just seems pointless to spend big bucks for a superior print when I can't see what the hell I'm doing when looking at and/or editing it.
The crappy Walgreen print of the gorge only cost $2.00, so no big deal.
Spending $100 plus only to get a crappy image as a result is dumb.
That said, I don't believe PhotoFinish would do that. They'd tell me before printing if the image wouldn't hold up.

Photoshop Lightroom CC/Lightroom 6 system requirements and language versions
Windows

Intel® or AMD processor with 64-bit support*
Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (64-bit), Windows 8.1 (64-bit) or Windows 10 (64-bit)
2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
1024 x 768 display
1 GB of Video RAM (VRAM). 2 GB of dedicated VRAM is suggested for large, high-resolution monitors, such as 4K- and 5K-resolution monitors.
2 GB of available hard-disk space
DVD-ROM drive required if purchasing Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® retail boxed version
OpenGL 3.3 and DirectX 10-capable video adapter for GPU-related functionality
Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.†

I don't understand how one can effectively took at, and edit a high resolution image on a 1024x 768 display.
What am I missing in my ignorance?

I'm really bummed out and frustrated. In the mean time I'll keep on taking pics and work on a better storage and filing system for images.

That brings up another issue 8)

Adobe RGB vs sRGB color space

John at PhotoFinish tells me that for PRINTS that he will process, I should be shooting Adobe RGB
sRGB is fine for display on the internet but not good for the print process he uses.

I take his word on that since I have seen his work and he has some very high end clients who won't settle for so-so work.
I know there is a lot of debate about sRGB vs Adobe RGB in the professional photographer community.
However, my reading last night tends to confirm his opinion.

So I changed the color space to Adobe RGB on my A77II. I can always convert an image(s) to sRGB for posting here if necessary.
That makes sense to me because there is no way to post an image on the internet and have it look good(or the same) for everyone.
Monitors vary all over the place in their ability to reproduce an image.
So if you want the best image to PRINT, then Adobe RGB makes sense to me.
I'll take all the help I can get.
So thanks!!

Cheers

George Carlin
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

I use Photoshop also. Just basic operations but most of the time that is all that is necessary.
The reason I have not upgraded to another software for post editing is that Photoshop seems to to a fine job for me. Also, I'm basically lazy and don't want to learn how to operate some new software. :D
The mountains are calling and I must go.
Carol Lynn
Gender?: Female

Post by Carol Lynn »

Pete,

Lightroom is the way to go for you once you work out your hardware issues. I have used it ever since it first came out and absolutely love it. You can use it to make all kinds of adjustments to your photos and it also has a great cataloging system which will become more and more important to you as you take more and more photos.

Photoshop is much more complex than Lightroom and therefore more difficult to use. It can do all kinds of things that graphic designers need, but photographers don't need, which means it can be very confusing.

Lightroom was made specifically for photographers and is much easier to use than Photoshop.
djallen35

Post by djallen35 »

+1 for Lightroom. To me, the simplicity of it is unbeatable, not to mention its just as powerful as photoshop for normal adjustments like contrast, saturation, etc. Plus you can save "presets" for 1 click editing once you have a style you like. I have about 20 different ones saved for different scenery, lighting, etc. The last thing I want to do is sit in front of my computer for hours editing photos. And I have the $10 a month subscription to Photoshop/Lightroom, I don't even notice the money come out of my account.

Pete, do you shoot in "RAW" format? You can do a far bigger range of adjustments to a RAW file than a JPEG for example. Lightroom makes that process very simple.

As for the display, its certainly tough to keep up with modern tech. I have a MacBook pro with 1080 display, but I'm looking to add a 4K monitor, especially because I recently purchased a drone (DJI Mavic Pro, thank you tax return!)
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

djallen35 wrote:+1 for Lightroom. To me, the simplicity of it is unbeatable, not to mention its just as powerful as photoshop for normal adjustments like contrast, saturation, etc. Plus you can save "presets" for 1 click editing once you have a style you like. I have about 20 different ones saved for different scenery, lighting, etc. The last thing I want to do is sit in front of my computer for hours editing photos. And I have the $10 a month subscription to Photoshop/Lightroom, I don't even notice the money come out of my account.

Pete, do you shoot in "RAW" format? You can do a far bigger range of adjustments to a RAW file than a JPEG for example. Lightroom makes that process very simple.

As for the display, its certainly tough to keep up with modern tech. I have a MacBook pro with 1080 display, but I'm looking to add a 4K monitor, especially because I recently purchased a drone (DJI Mavic Pro, thank you tax return!)
Hi DJ:

Yeah, I shoot RAW + JPEG with the A77II. I don't worry about the large files. I have a 64G chip in both cameras.
I will probably subscribe to Lightroom tonight. Seems everyone loves it.
I'll install it on the workstation I have--HP Compaq 6000.
It's much faster than my crappy laptop and has a better video card...and that'll have to do for now LOL!! I'm broke.

New issue I need advice/help on.
Two different people on here have noticed the same thing about several images I posted---a "green" tint.
One of the ground squirrel pics and now the Avalanche gorge pics.
Camera is set on "daylight" and that's about all I can tell you.

The gorge lighting was very dim due to weather. The squirrel was in indirect sunlight.
Seems weird that the green only shows up occasionally?
Any suggestions out there?

I can't begin to thank all of you for the help I'm receiving here.
It's a great help in getting me "up on the learning curve".

Thanks y'all!! Gotta love this place. :)

PS

This will sound "defensive" but I just want to let y'all know while I'm a total noob when it comes to "digital" photography...
I'm not exactly new to photography. 8)

I bought my first good camera gear in 1970 in Japan while I was in Uncle's USN. Minolta SRT101 system most of which I still have.
On my second WestPac, Vietnam cruise, I taught myself how to develop 35MM B&W film and print it in the Subic Bay hobby shop.
I subsequently bought a Mamiya C330 twin lens reflex with 55mm and 80mm lenses. Nice big 2 1/4 X 2 1/4 format.

And by then I had an Omega B22XL enlarger for printing. I did the negatives with a daylight loader and "black bag" in my girl friend's bathroom.
I had the enlarger set up in her blacked out garage. 8) It worked and I had a lot of fun.
I still have a few prints from those days. Maybe put some up here in non Glacier section.
So, while I was away from any serious photography efforts for a long time, I understand the principles of basic photography pretty well.
I'm still "adjusting" if that's the term to "digital" photography.
It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but I'm working on it. Something to keep me busy in my old age ya know 8)
Thanks again to all of you for the help.

I was bummed out last night and then this song came on the radio.
The lyrics cheered me up :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Some of rocks greatest musicians together as The Traveling Wilburys. I love the lyrics.

Verse 2: Tom Petty(A fellow Florida "redneck" like the geezer.)
Maybe somewhere down the road away
You'll think of me, and wonder where I am these days
Maybe somewhere down the road when somebody plays
Purple haze

8)
Last edited by PeteE on Thu May 18, 2017 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Carol Lynn wrote:Pete,

Lightroom is the way to go for you once you work out your hardware issues. I have used it ever since it first came out and absolutely love it. You can use it to make all kinds of adjustments to your photos and it also has a great cataloging system which will become more and more important to you as you take more and more photos.

Photoshop is much more complex than Lightroom and therefore more difficult to use. It can do all kinds of things that graphic designers need, but photographers don't need, which means it can be very confusing.

Lightroom was made specifically for photographers and is much easier to use than Photoshop.
Hi Carol:

I didn't mean forget you and your advice. You've always been helpful and I much appreciate it.
As you see from above, I'm "on it" as the kids say today.
Lightroom it is.
Yeeeehawww. Let's git 'er done 8)

Off to work and I cant reply with my phone anymore :(

George Carlin
djallen35

Re: Photo editing software (split off from Pete's 2017 snap

Post by djallen35 »

Without even looking at the "tint" you are mentioning, my guess is either a white balance issue (which is very easy to fix post in Lightroom, I shoot in auto WB and adjust it to how I want it later) or possibly some sort of lens filter issue. Do you a use a lens filter? Some of the cheaper ones are known to tint photos when shooting at a higher aperture. I'll take a look at the photos and see if I notice anything

-Dan

btw, if any of you folks are on instagram, my user name is @djallen35. I've only done photography here on the east coast but that will change this summer when I visit Glacier :D
southernguy
Donator
Donator

Post by southernguy »

I hope ya'll don't embarrass me too much. I use windows live photo gallery. Is lightroom that much better?
:oops:
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I bought Lightroom and have hardly used it. I use Photoshop for editing and Picasa (free) for cataloging. I really hate the whole concept of "renting" software so I'll likely never buy another version of Photoshop. I only use limited tools: levels, curves, feather, magic wand(s), sharpen/gaussian blur, gray scale mode (filtering in B&W), auto lens correction, and down the road, I'd really like to start working in layers and using luminosity masks. It's a really effective way to improve photos but I've only dabbled in it.

As for 4K monitors, if you're using 1080, I believe you simply have to enlarge twice as much to see the same level of detail (if something is sharp). I have a 4K monitor (surprised you remembered that Pete), but using a 1080 is certainly not a deal breaker. I think the advantage of the 4K is the incredible detail for your own videos (shot in 4K). Otherwise, I don't know. You may want to consider a way to calibrate your monitor when you purchase new. That may help with the balance issues and helps with printing. I agree that's it's easy to change white balance (Lightroom or Photoshop) if you shoot Raw. My guess is your camera is either set to the wrong white balance or you're on auto white balance and when the meter see lots of green, it compensates, which makes the green look bad.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I know just a sliver of Photoshop. It's a huge program. If anyone wants to know a bit about the sliver I know, let me know. I can try to write up something. There are tons of tutorials out there on Photoshop. You just need to find ones that are useful.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Thanks Jay.
I believe I'm suffering from information overload.
I have no idea what I'm doing anymore.
So I'm not going to do anything. Not going to buy or "rent" anything for a while.
Again, I appreciate everyone's help.

George Carlin

Return to “Photography”