Photos from my last two Glacier trips.

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Badgerhiker
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Photos from my last two Glacier trips.

Post by Badgerhiker »

Hi everyone. First time posting. I visited Glacier for 9 days each in 2013 and 2014. I absolutely fell in love with the park. I've been a lurker here for to long and finally got my butt in gear and decided to post. The info everyone posted here was so helpful when I was planning my trip. I'd like to thank everyone who posts here and share some of my favorite pics with you.

I was totally blown away by the wild flower blooms in the high mountain meadows. I never realized how colorful the mountains could be. I thought mountains were rock with some trees and snow on top. It's nice to be wrong about such things. :D

A goat looking over the cliff edge a Siyeh pass.

The only bear grass I saw on my 2013 trip.

A big ram peeking over a rock on the Highline trail by Haystack Butte.

In 2013 the Sun road was closing in the evenings so I would go up there for sunsets. I had the place to my self and it was awesome.

Dawson Pitamakan Pass hike is the longest and best day hike I have ever done. One amazing view after another.

I had to laugh. ND posted a pic of Iceberg Lake from the same spot as this one. It's interesting how the flowers are different from year to year or maybe at different times of the year.

After 36 hrs of pouring rain the clouds broke so I drove up the Sun road to Logan Pass. Boy am I glad I did. I saw some amazing sights.

I was moving to a different angle on this shot when Mr Clutz (that's me) trips on a rock and they moved off. Oh well, at least I got this shot before I screwed it up.

On my last day in the park I hiked the Grinnell Glacier Trail.

I must of taken 50 shots of Grinnell Lake I couldn't stop it was so gorgeous.

Another thing I was surprised by was the number of animals in the park. I saw everything but moose but I made up for that in a big way on my next trip when I saw 5. I had a grizzly come within 20 yards of my campsite at Rising Sun. The rangers had to chase it away. It was amazing how quietly an animal that size could move through the brush. I didn't hear it until it stepped on a dry twig on the ground and I herd the crack. Luckily it was moving to the side and not at me, that would of made for some tense moments. That night a ranger handed me a flyer and walked away. It basically said all tent campers should leave because the rangers can not guarantee our safety. Yeah right, where the heck am I going to go at 10 at night? I slept with my bear spray and I lived through the night. I'm going to Yellowstone and the Tetons this summer so it will be interesting to compare wildlife sightings in the 3 parks.

I was watching these 5 rams with a group of people when everyone moved off leaving me alone. The closest ram puffed his chest out and started stomping his hoof at me. He must of thought with me being alone he could bully me out of the way. Well he was right I left pretty quickly.

That's it for my 2013 pics. I'll post my 2014 pics later when I get time. I hope you enjoyed my pics because I sure liked all the great pics you guys posted.
NDjason
Donator
Donator

Re: Photos from my last two Glacier trips.

Post by NDjason »

WOW! Great photos! Thanks for posting!

I can't wait to see more!
~ jason
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I agree with Jason. Really nice images--all of them.
Ya gotta love the Big Horn ram peering over the rock!
So yeah, post your 2014 pics. You coming out here this year?

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing.
Jen

Post by Jen »

WOW! That was like flipping through the postcard rack in the gift shop! Thank you for posting these!
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Loved 'em. You've been holding out on us.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Badgerhiker

Post by Badgerhiker »

PeteE wrote:I agree with Jason. Really nice images--all of them.
Ya gotta love the Big Horn ram peering over the rock!
So yeah, post your 2014 pics. You coming out here this year?

pete :wink:
Thanks Pete. I'm not going to make it to Glacier this year. I'm timing a trip to Yellowstone and the Tetons during the solar eclipse in August, hopefully its not cloudy. I had a trip planned to Glacier last year but had to cancel because of back problems. The year before that I was lucky to have great friends invite me to backpack the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal. It was the trip of a lifetime. I definitely want to get back to Glacier next year, it's my favorite park in the US by far.
Badgerhiker

Post by Badgerhiker »

Jay w wrote:Loved 'em. You've been holding out on us.

Jay
I was holding out on you guy's. I was a little embarrassed it took me 3 years to post these but I guess better late than never.
Badgerhiker

Post by Badgerhiker »

I found it interesting I was at the park the first 2 weeks in August both years but the landscape and weather was so different. 2014 had few flowers but huge bear grass blooms, there was more snow on the peaks and the temps were very warm (95 at Bowman Lake)

My buddy came out with me this year. That's him sitting by Cracker Lake. We also saw a bull moose jump in the lake and swim around, I was very excited since it was my first ever moose sighting.

Unfortunately my buddy's knee flared up on him so he took the day off and I hiked to Piegan Pass and Piegan saddle.

The sun was in the wrong spot for pics at piegan saddle but with a view like that who cares. I call these views holly beep views. I've had 3 of these at glacier so far Piegan saddle, Grinnell Glacier Overlook and Upper Pitamakan Pass. I look forward to discovering many more. This is a pic back at the pass.

We hiked from Many Glacier to the bottom of the Swiftcurrent headwall (easy on the knees). I normally wouldn't have did this hike but it was beautiful and we saw a black bear with 3 cubs and this moose with a calf.

My buddy could only stay 5 days so we stopped at Two Medicine on the way back to the airport and I got this pic of him looking over Two Medicine Lake.

Another great hike, Lee Ridge to Gable Pass.

This is one of my favorite pic's. A thunder storm is over Chief Mountain. I was hustling to my car because it was thundering all around me and I jumped another moose. I followed it's tracks down the trail and it's running stride had to be 10 feet maybe more. All I know is I took a lot of steps in between each hoof print. When I got back to the car the road was actually covered in hail.

Back to Logan Pass for sunset. I guess the picture is kind of self explanatory.

Mt Oberlin was a really fun hike. I definitely would like to do some more off trail hikes when I come back.

My last day in the park I meet a guy from Boston and we hiked to Ptarmigan Tunnel and Iceberg Lake. As good as the flowers were at Iceberg Lake the year before, the grass was barely showing this time. There was a lot more ice in the lake, so of course we had to do some iceberg surfing. Unfortunately I dropped my camera lens the night before so no pics from today. :evil:

That's it for my 2014 pictures. I wrote more than I planned but I could talk about Glacier all day.

PS I have the utmost respect for everyone who posted a trip report on here. They must take a lot of time to write up.
Last edited by Badgerhiker on Wed May 24, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jen

Post by Jen »

This last pic is my absolute favorite!
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Jen, does it have anything to do with a story about, "Just one goat?"

Love the photos.

Jay

Happened to tell that joke today.
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Jay: Perhaps a little. :mrgreen:

I love the depth and all the different subject matter within the same shot. :)
Carol Lynn
Gender?: Female

Post by Carol Lynn »

Thanks for posting your gorgeous photos!

Return to “Photography”