Photobucket's New 3rd Party Hosting Rule?????

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Deb1741
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Photobucket's New 3rd Party Hosting Rule?????

Post by Deb1741 »

I got an email from Photobucket on June 29th saying:

WE NOTICED THAT YOU HAVE BEEN USING
PHOTOBUCKET FOR 3RD PARTY HOSTING*

TO RESTORE YOUR 3RD PARTY HOSTED IMAGES,
PLEASE UPGRADE TO A PLUS 500 PLAN

Right now I just have the free plan which has gotten worse this last year for ads constantly flooding my page when I'm trying to do something with photos. Of course, the Plus 500 Plan is $40 a month to get unlimited 3rd party hosting. It looks like you have to pay $10 a month for linking. The cheapest plan is $6 a month which doesn't give you that much more storage and does not allow linking or 3rd party hosting.

So I thought, ok, no big deal......I just won't use photobucket anymore to put pictures on here or other forums. It never crossed my mind that they would go back and delete/override my photobucket photos that I posted here in the past. I checked out one of my old threads and found the following in place of my pictures:

http://www.glacier.nationalparkschat.co ... =20&t=9174

Has any other photobucket users gotten the email yet? I guess I'm going to have to explore some alternative system. It's just stinks that all the trip reports and other threads I've created over the years no longer have my photos accessible. :evil: :cry:

Deb
"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast" ~ unknown
"Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way" ~ Dr. Suess
Supersonic_Blimp
Gender?: Male

Re: Photobucket's New 3rd Party Hosting Rule?????

Post by Supersonic_Blimp »

I'm still completely in love with Google Photos. No real ads, I can deep link, etc. Might be worth taking a look.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I've used Photobucket for all my reports on this forum and xcskiforum.com. So basically all my reports have broken links. It sounds like Photobucket is struggling.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

"Free Lunches" disappeared a long time ago. Why does everyone expect "free" everything these days?
How do you think these companies pay their expenses? It's either annoying ads, OR a subscription fee.
So get over it.
I gently suggest y'all spring for the $5.99/month or $59.99/year Plus 50 plan.
The "free"services of Google, flickr, etc. subsidize their photo hosting service with other income.
I predict that will end too as all these outfits seek to "monetize" all their products.
Then what?

Are y'all cheapskate? Isn't that worth not having all your pics destroyed?
I have the Plus 20 plan which I don't believe is offered now.
I get no ads at all and the service has improved[for me] a LOT since all the hassles last year.

I'm one of the poorest people on this chat site. If I can afford it, I suspect all the rest of you can.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

That's fine for you Doug. You're not uploading the number of images some people are.

It doesn't help those of us(like deb) who already have a HUGE "investment" in terms of the number of images that we currently have on Photobucket. I have 1000's in over a 100 files.

I have looked at "practical" ways to transfer to another site, but not found any yet.
THAT would be a big help if anyone knows how to do bulk transfers.

So people like Jay, Deb, and me are essentially being forced into a paid subscription to stay with Photobucket.
Photobucket knows that some of us simply can't go anywhere else and some [me] will pay the very modest fee.

We all can start a new "free" subscription at flickr for new material, but that doesn't help for our older images.
Maybe I'm old school, but I'm a firm believer their ain't nothin' in this world that's "free".
You simply have to look for the price you pay because it's there somewhere. 8)

pete

PS
$5.99/month for Photobucket
Hmmmm, what's that? The price of a couple bottles of good beer, or one of those frufru drinks from Starbucks?
Wow, that's really spendy!
/sarc 8)

George Carlin
Deb1741

Post by Deb1741 »

While it's nice to have someone buy me lunch once in awhile I don't think I've ever thought I deserved a free lunch.

Anyway, I'm not upset about them charging for more storage or for the ability to link and use 3rd party hosting. I just wish that they wouldn't have gone back and delete/overide all the photos I had put on here and on the YNET forum. I put a lot of time and effort into writing trip reports and adding photos and now they're basically worthless.

I am not a high volume photo person and just use photobucket to add pictures to here and YNet. If we could just add pictures on here from our library I would do that. I make a good decent salary for Montana but yeah, I have a hard time justifying spending $72 a year for the cheapest photobucket plan.

Sorry if my post came off as i was whining. It wasn't my intent.

Hope everyone is having a great summer and for everyone that is able to get to Glacier this summer, please post photos on here if you can. I started having major issues with my knees last year. After getting to the point of being in tears every single day for weeks, I finally "bit the bullet" and went to the doctor this spring. It was way worse than I thought it would be and I'm scheduled to have both knees replaced next Tuesday. I am definitely not looking forward to the surgery but I am so ready for it to get done. While I have done some very easy hikes in Yellowstone this summer (tylenol is like candy to me) and have been walking 45 minutes every morning this summer, I'm depressed that I'm unable to do what I normally could do. It is my plan is to rehab myself with the goal of being able to get back to hiking the mountain trails that I love by next summer. Until then, I am living through your photos and stories posted on here. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Deb
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Deb, sorry about the knees...damn, both of them. Good luck on the surgery.

As for the photos, c'est la vie. The trip reports were something for the moment. A few people read them, but I doubt people are reading 2, 3, and 4 year old trip reports (or older). I've been planning to make a book (or three) out of them, so this is a kick in the pants to do it.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Deb1741

Post by Deb1741 »

Jay w wrote:Deb, sorry about the knees...damn, both of them. Good luck on the surgery.

As for the photos, c'est la vie. The trip reports were something for the moment. A few people read them, but I doubt people are reading 2, 3, and 4 year old trip reports (or older). I've been planning to make a book (or three) out of them, so this is a kick in the pants to do it.

Jay
Thanks :D I could have had one knee done this summer and the other one done next summer but decided I didn't want two summers ruined.

And yes, you're right......probably not too many people go back and read old trip reports or look at old photography threads. My plan for the rest of the summer and into the school year while I'm still out on medical leave is to compile different still photos my grandson and I have taken over the years into movie presentations (or whatever they're called). I did one a couple years ago with pictures from one of our week stays at the Flathead cabin we go to every August and set it to music. It turned out pretty good for my first attempt so I want to do that with other pictures and videos my grandson and I have taken. Creating a personal book is an idea too.

Deb
Jen

Post by Jen »

Good luck with the knees, Deb!
Yeah. Photobucket sux. My next trip report will probably just be a slideshow on youtube. :?
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

Deb,

Good for you, investing in your hiking future like this. I hope your surgery goes smoothly!

I'm a PT and do post-surgical rehab with folks in their homes, and, for what it's worth, I've seen really good results with the clients I've worked with who get both knees done at the same time. Many of them them actually progress faster because they are forced to use the new knees immediately since they can't "favor" the operated knee by relying on the non-operated knee. Just be sure to listen to your physical therapist and don't do more (or less!) than they instruct you to do as you heal.

Also, maybe this will inspire you: my Glacier "mentor" is a gentleman who is 78 years old and still hikes (skis, snowshoes) there every week, year 'round. Indeed, he and a few of his buddies led me up to the top of Triple Divide Peak last summer. This past December he finally had to have a knee replaced, and I'm happy to report that he is back on the trail and summiting mountains again, etc. You'll do fine as well. This is an excellent investment in your hiking future.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about what to expect, tips for preparing your living space ahead of time, etc.
Deb1741

Post by Deb1741 »

joybird wrote:Deb,

Good for you, investing in your hiking future like this. I hope your surgery goes smoothly!

I'm a PT and do post-surgical rehab with folks in their homes, and, for what it's worth, I've seen really good results with the clients I've worked with who get both knees done at the same time. Many of them them actually progress faster because they are forced to use the new knees immediately since they can't "favor" the operated knee by relying on the non-operated knee. Just be sure to listen to your physical therapist and don't do more (or less!) than they instruct you to do as you heal.

Also, maybe this will inspire you: my Glacier "mentor" is a gentleman who is 78 years old and still hikes (skis, snowshoes) there every week, year 'round. Indeed, he and a few of his buddies led me up to the top of Triple Divide Peak last summer. This past December he finally had to have a knee replaced, and I'm happy to report that he is back on the trail and summiting mountains again, etc. You'll do fine as well. This is an excellent investment in your hiking future.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about what to expect, tips for preparing your living space ahead of time, etc.
Thanks Joybird. The fact that I want to be able to get back to hiking by next summer is what led me to decide to do both knees at the same time. That and the fact that is how my family rolls. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :lol: Both my mom and dad had both their knees replaced at the same time. They both stayed with me afterwards so while you can never know what it's like until you go through it yourself, I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. I've been walking 45 minutes every morning since school got out (I'm a teacher) and making sure that I walk up and down stairs even though I'm slow as hell and it is very uncomfortable. I don't have to worry about taking adequate time off of work to rehab correctly so that is a big relief.

dpratt wrote:Best of luck with your knees, Deb. That is probably something I should do too, but keep putting it off.
Thanks dpratt. I put off going to the initial appointment way too long. I really started having a lot of pain around Christmas but told myself I'd wait until summer break. After 3 week of being in tears every single day and one evening where I thought I was going to die when I had to get down on my knees to get something out from under the couch I decided to make an appointment. Even then I figured the first available appointment would still be in the summer but they had an opening the next day. That being said, the first available opening for surgery was still 3 1/2 months out so I am really glad that I did everything when I did. Looking back, I wish I would have gone in right away.

Deb
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by MarxMN »

I uploaded the pictures from my 2014, 2015 and 2016 trip reports to "printimage.org" and have linked to the "printimage" pictures in those trip reports. While that all takes time, the most difficult part was finding the correct images. I had old notes for the trip reports but found that I made some changes in the actual trip reports so then I had to find the corresponding pictures. While I doubt that many people go back to the old trip reports I do like to be able to refer people who ask me about Glacier to those reports. I don't know if I will get earlier trip reports updated. "printimage.org" was suggested by Dave Parker in another thread.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

While I doubt that many people go back to the old trip reports I do like to be able to refer people who ask me about Glacier to those reports.
I go back to old trio reports quite often, especially in the winter months. So I thank you for your efforts! That must have taken awhile.
JamesBurkett

Post by JamesBurkett »

This is a very useful topic for those involved in photography!
Last edited by JamesBurkett on Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

JamesBurkett wrote:This is a very useful topic for those involved in photography!
I used to have Photobucket years ago.
I looked into Photobucket last week for a friend new to posting pics.
I would NOT recommend it now.

I think Flickr is the way to go now for most people.
Flickr is now part of SmugMug's pay site where I put my images.
I don't care for Amazon nor Google's photo hosting programs.

George Carlin

Return to “Photography”