A Special, Final Message

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

ND
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: A Special, Final Message

Post by ND »

So sad to hear this. I was hoping you could beat this thing. You have been an important fixture on this chat page for a long time. I've always enjoyed your trip reports, great photos, and valuable information whenever someone had a question. Some of us come and go, but you have been consistent in posting even in the slow times on the page and always the gentleman. For all this I thank you. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

ND :(
TnTammy
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by TnTammy »

Andy,
It was such a privilege for Mike and I to get to meet you here in Nashville. With your iphone, you took us on photo tour over Pitamakin & Dawson passes with such vivid detail that we knew we had to go! It turned out to be just as wonderful as you described oh so well.

From your suggestion, we also ventured up the road behind the Many Glacier Hotel and onto a hill there to a glorious sunrise spot. Whenever we stay at Many G, we'll make the walk up to that beautiful place and think of you.

You have shared your love of Glacier National Park so generously! From great storytelling in your trip reports to what has to be one of the finest "Welcome Wagons" on the net...your FAQs. Your contribution of beautiful images will be enjoyed over and over again. Who else has a hike named in their honor?? Swiftcurrent Cabins weren't just another place to stay, it was your home away from home. And any chance to make another trip down to Fishercap was not to be missed.

To read of your adventures these past several summers has been particularly sweet, given that you shared how hard you worked to come back from your surgeries and chemo. I cheered to see your pictures back up at Dawson Pitamakin this past summer, what a victory that was.

Thank you Andy for all that you have given here. Your love of Glacier will long be remembered.

May God be with you and your family,
Tammy and Mike
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

Just to put things in perspective a bit...

The first member of this page was Tara and the second was Andy, us three go way back to a day, when a friend of mine had a Glacier Chat Page and there was no Glacier Chat Page as we know it now.

I will have a bit more to post in the next couple of days, right now, I am just a bit broke up and have been wiping tears away most of the day.

Dave

:cry:
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Hockey Ref wrote:And the next time you reach a cairn at the top of a pass, particularly if it's Swiftcurrent Pass, please toss a stone on top for me as well.
You got it. You have no idea how helpful you've been to so many of us. You've helped make our Glacier experiences better. In a big way. For all of your time and generosity here, THANK YOU. -Scott
Tara

Post by Tara »

Andy,
I am so saddened to hear your news...I don't know how much I can add to what others have said but I hope you and your family realize what a legacy you have built on this page...I love the term "welcome wagon" that someone else said. You really have been that to so many people, and have helped so so so many people with your FAQ's and other posts. I have yet to actually complete "your" hike but that just became my number 1 priority for this summer, and I will add a rock to the cairn in your honor too.

As Ralph said, miracles do happen and I will keep praying that one happens for you....

A big hug and prayers...
Tara
poky5mom
Donator
Donator

Post by poky5mom »

Andy -
I remember when I first found this board & we got to hike the Hockey Ref hike - that was such an amazing hike & I was so hoping I would actually be able to meet you - then this summer we got to cross one of our bucket list with you! It was such a joy to hike Shangri Lai with you - Kent & I feel honored that we were able to share that trip with you!
We will be keeping you & your family in our thoughts & prayers
Kent & Kim Wood
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

Andy,

I've always been amazed at the tireless generosity you've shown in sharing your knowledge of (and overflowing love for!) Glacier with both the newbies and old Chatters alike. Your contributions over so many years -- the trip reports, diligent fact-checking, kind words and gentle humor -- are a big part of what has made this Chat such a special place.

Though the weather precluded our hiking to Angel Wing together, I'm grateful that I was able to at least meet and share a meal with you last summer. But whether we actually hiked with you or not, everyone in this community has been made the richer for your presence here. And rest assured, the folks who join the Chat in the future will also benefit from the legacy you have left on these pages.

I, too, will leave a rock on the cairn at Swiftcurrent Pass. And one on Angel Wing as well.

Peace, strength and comfort to you and to your family.

Joyce
Kathy
Donator
Donator

Post by Kathy »

Ref...been prayin' for you for a quite a while, my friend, and that will not stop. As others have said...it ain't over, 'til He says it's over--and last I knew, He trumps any prognosis, treatments, doctors, etc., so continue to stand strong. IF He sees fit to call you at this time to the next chapter of your life, as you can see by the outpouring of love by so many here (many of whom have not even had the true privilege of meeting you in person)...your presence--YOU will indeed be missed. You have made a wonderful impact on those you've traveled with/bumped up against in this life, and in my book, that is the true definition of a successful life. - but you already know that---you only need look to your wife and daughter to see proof of that.

It is indeed a true privilege to be able to have traveled this earth with you at this point in time and bumped up against you in this world. As one of my pastors have said, "No one gets out of this life alive." So if He calls you in the near future to take the next journey, I will indeed place a rock at every cairn I find in Glacier, that place that I believe is just a mere glimpse of heaven here on earth, and I hope you will join me and stand with me in spirit as I do so each and every time.

So many want to DO something, SAY something to help, but what? I hope it goes without saying, your Chat Page family loves you, and if there is anything we can do, you only need ask.

Continued love and prayers to you, my friend.
"You never really leave a place you love....part of it you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind."
So....Live well. - Laugh often. - Love much.----And get to Glacier as often as you can!
distressbark

Post by distressbark »

Happy trails indeed. I wish you the best of luck in your journey.
- anders

"And what do the birds say? All there is to say about a massacre, things like Poo-tee-weet?"
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five
missguinness
Donator
Donator

Post by missguinness »

Andy,
We have had the priviledge of sharing a number of meals together, but never hike in Glacier. For that I am sorry. Your photos and unwavering love of Glacier has inspired many to take that plunge and go to Glacier. I am glad you have been able to go the past couple of years to a place you love. I am glad you also did some backpacking! Loved hearing those stories. Hoping there will be more meals at McKenzie River.
Love,
Laura
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
~Victor Hugo
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

Some photos from Laura's (Miss Guinness) Surprise 40th Birthday Party. Hard to believe this was six years ago. Anyway for those of you who have not had the pleasure of meeting Andy (Hockey Ref) in person, we thought we would share some photos of a very happy day spent with our good friend.

J.Peter
Donator
Donator

Post by J.Peter »

God bless you my friend.
My life was enhanced through all your posts for which I thank you.
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

distressbark wrote:Happy trails indeed. I wish you the best of luck in your journey.
I would like to echo this if I may

and say thank you for all you've done here. It means more than you will ever know.

Angela
elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

Andy,

Your FAQ's brought me to this wonderful forum thank you. Our prayers are with you.

Thank you for everything, you have made this place a better place.

as a famous man once sang

"He climbed catheral mountain Saw Silver clouds below Saw everthing as far as you can see
and they say he got crazy once tried to touch the sun and he lost a friend but kept his memory"

Terry
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark"
(Eclipse by Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon)
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

sorry to read this report. I lost my 50 year old brother in a similar fashion last December. seems like folks in this situation that display strength and grace teach us all how to live.

walked right past ref last summer near gunsight pass. didn't realize it was him. I think we might have played soccer against each other in a highschool state final. briarcliff v darlington 1971.

Return to “Hockey Ref's Wisdom”