Show Andy some love!

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jen

Show Andy some love!

Post by Jen »

Hockey Ref is the only chatter to ever have a hike named after him. This happened because of his amazing description of the Highline/Swifcurrent pass hike that I have copied and pasted below:

I snagged this great shot of Andy along his signature hike out of his google photos. :oops:

Note: The Highline Trail/Swiftcurrent Pass hike has been dubbed the "Hockey Ref Hike" by Glacier chat page users who like my description of it. So here goes...

The Highline Trail/Swiftcurrent Pass hike is one of the most spectacular day hikes Glacier has to offer. Some consider it Glacier's "signature" hike, combining unsurpassed beauty, plenty of opportunities to encounter wildlife, and requiring only moderate physical effort.

There are several ways to enjoy this hike. To take advantage of its full 15-mile length (and don't let the distance dissuade you because it's not that difficult), take the morning hiker shuttle from the Swiftcurrent Motor Inn in the Many Glacier region to Logan Pass. You'll arrive at the visitor center around 9:30. The Highline trailhead is located across the road from the visitor center parking lot. Make sure to top off your water containers at the visitor center before heading out.

The day's first adventure begins with a series of narrow ledges along a cliff face known as the Rimrock area which soars a couple of hundred feet above the Going-to-the-Sun Road. But don't worry, it sounds scarier than it really is. And there's a cable to grab for the faint-of-heart.

Once past the ledges, the Highline heads northward along the Garden Wall and parallels the Continental Divide as it makes its way 7.5 miles to Granite Park Chalet. Spectacular vistas unfold every step of the way -- 500-foot high Birdwoman Falls cascades from a verdant hanging valley; snow-capped Heaven's Peak towers above the neighboring mountains; and McDonald Creek cascades through McDonald Valley on its way to Lake McDonald, the largest body of water in Glacier. In the earlier part of the season, waterfalls fed by melting snow tumble across the trail from above. Later, the meadows around the trail blaze with wildflowers. If you're making a one-way trip, be sure to turn around from time to time and check out the views behind you.

Chances are good that you'll encounter mountain goats and bighorn sheep along the way, along with marmots, ground squirrels, and other smaller mammals. You might even get lucky enough to spot a bear or two, so keep standard bear safety in mind. By the way, if you encounter goats or sheep walking on the trail, the rangers ask that you NOT step aside to let them pass. Instead, stay on the trail so that the animals will step off. The rangers prefer that the animals stay off the trail as much as possible, and humans giving them the right-of-way simply encourages them.

The hike to Granite Park Chalet is relatively flat, with only a few short uphill portions. For those with a limited amount of time, simply park at the Logan Pass visitor center and walk as far as time allows before turning around. A possible goal for those short on time is a saddle behind a rock formation known as Haystack Butte about 3.5 miles from the trailhead at Logan Pass. The butte is the large, flat-topped rock formation visible to the north from the trailhead.

About a mile before reaching the chalet a steep spur trail takes hikers to an overlook of Grinnell Glacier. The views from the saddle above the glacier are truly spectacular and well worth the effort. Keep in mind that you cannot leave backpacks at the foot of the overlook trail. To climb to the overlook without your pack you'll need to continue to the chalet, leave your pack there, and return.

Granite Park Chalet is a good place to stop for lunch (bring your own) as it is the halfway point for those going all the way to the Swiftcurrent Motor Inn. The view from the chalet is not to be missed, so make your lunch a leisurely one. And for those who have advance reservations, the chalet also is a great place to spend the night. Additonal info on the chalet is available at: http://www.graniteparkchalet.com/

Atop nearby Swiftcurrent Mountain, a peak just to the north and above the chalet, you'll spot a fire lookout. Those who make the steep ascent are rewarded with a 360-degree view of Glacier that they won't get anywhere else.

After lunch, there's a quick climb of several hundred feet to the summit of Swiftcurrent Pass. This is the most climbing you'll do all day (unless you check out the Grinnell overlook or the fire lookout), and it's not all that much. On the other side of the pass is one of the most spectacular views Glacier has to offer. All of Swiftcurrent Valley stetches out some 2,300 feet below you, with a chain of lakes leading your eye toward the Many Glacier Hotel in the distance and the start of the Great Plains even further beyond (bring binoculars).

You'll make your way down a series of switchbacks along the cliff face, passing silky ribbon waterfalls fed by melting snow, until you finally reach the valley floor. The trail works its way through low underbrush with Mt. Wilbur and Mt. Henkel on the left and Grinnell Peak rising on the right. Be sure to look for moose browsing in the brush and along the lake shores or mule deer grazing on the ridges. A nice final rest stop is Red Rock Falls at the head of Red Rock Lake, about 2.5 miles from the end of the hike. Sitting on the rocks above the falls provides a good overall view of the valley, the lake, and the surrounding mountains.

The hike ends in the Swiftcurrent Motor Inn parking lot. All in all, this is a 15-mile day, but the lack of any significant uphill makes it quite doable for anyone who's in reasonable shape and who is willing to make the effort. One of the keys to making this a successful hike is to carry adequate water supplies, especially on hot days.

As noted earlier, you can shorten the day by hiking only a portion of the Highline. Even hiking just a mile or two will give you an idea of the incredible beauty this trail has to offer.

Another alternative is to hike the Highline to Granite Park Chalet then descend to the GTTS Road via the Loop Trail. In the past this route has not been considered quite as scenic as others, but reports since the 2003 fires indicate that it has taken on a new-found beauty. Descending to the GTTS Road via the Loop Trail makes it easy to connect with the hiker shuttle and return to your vehicle at Logan Pass. Just keep the shuttle schedule in mind to avoid missing the last one of the day.

One other thing...the Highline Trail doesn't open until all the snow has melted from the Rimrock ledge areas and the hand cables have been installed. The Swiftcurrent Pass trail also is dependent on snow melting before it is opened. This is typically in late June, or even early July. So if you're planning a trip to Glacier and the Highline Trail is on your list, make sure it's during a time when the trail is sure to be open.

So that's the Highline Trail/Swiftcurrent Pass hike, aka the "Hockey Ref Hike." Hope you enjoyed it. I've hiked it three of the last four times I've been to Glacier, and I can't wait to do it again.

Hockey Ref
(updated January 2009)
Last edited by Hockey Ref on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Hockey Ref

Please feel free to post photos, memories and thoughts here. It would be good to let Andy know just how many lives he has touched. :)
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Show Andy some love!

Post by Selkie »

Thanks, Jen! I can't wait to see all the good stories and photos make their appearance!
Jen

Post by Jen »

Thank you, Selkie, for the suggestion!
poky5mom
Donator
Donator

Post by poky5mom »

Andy going up one of the notches on Shangri Lai!
poky5mom
Donator
Donator

Post by poky5mom »

One of the lakes on Shangri Lai
poky5mom
Donator
Donator

Post by poky5mom »

Ice berg Lake with Andy after Shangri Lai
Jen

Post by Jen »

Hockey Ref wrote:My love affair with Glacier began when I worked at Many Glacier Hotel during the summer of 1973. That still ranks as the best summer I've ever spent. I'd never been west of the Appalachians before, and I rode the Empire Builder train from Chicago to East Glacier. I disembarked on a gloomy June afternoon and rode one of the famous red "jammer" busses to MGH. We passed the Two Med area along the way, and the sight of Rising Wolf Mountain -- the most massive thing I'd ever seen -- surrounded by broken clouds took my breath away. A short time later, I was awed by the sight of Grinnell Point rising majestically above MGH. It was a sight I was to see in many different "moods" every day for the next three months.

My co-workers were amazingly talented college students from around the country, and they put on shows for the hotel guests several nights each week. The rest of us would sit on the floor and enjoy the performances. The work shifts were long, the pay was lousy, but the benefit of being in Many Glacier with so many wonderful people outweighed everything. I even developed my love for photography from my Glacier summer.

In just a few short weeks, more than 60 MGH employees from the '70s will gather for a four-day reunion in Many Glacier. The reunion will include a serenade for guests in the hotel lobby, just like we used to do in the old days. So if you're in the Many Glacier area during the first few days of August, stop by and say hello. You'll find a lot of middle-aged former MGH employees hanging out there.
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

Andy had mentioned several times about a favorite spot of his to view the Many Glacier valley from above the Hotel. Clearly this was a fond location, as he visited here regularly back in the HeyDay with his fellow hotel employees. I just knew that upon his recommendation, it was gonna be sweet! Here is his description of the locale and what follows is a post that I made in return just before his 2012 trip.

A good place is the ridge above the Many Glacier Hotel parking lot. Walk up the gravel road on the right side of the employee dorm to the top of the ridge, then turn to your right and look for a faint path through the brush that leads onto the ridge itself. The views up there are quite expansive, and it's a great spot for a panorama image. Again, bear precautions are advised. I've seen them up there several times.

Postby TnTammy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:23 pm

HR,

I'd wanted to make a photo in your honor, a little "thank you" for all that you give here on Chat. So I hoped that with my 4 day stay at Many G Hotel, one of the mornings would be just right for a panorama from the ridge that you've recommended above the Many G Dormitories. My chance came the morning of July 25th. I took Mike's new camera and bearspray at 6 a.m. and found the little trail up to the ridge....just as you'd described. My picture taking skills are limited to turning the camera on, setting the mode on "auto", pushing the button 1/2 way down to focus, holding real still and shooting. :lol: While this might be the best effort from the photographic equivalent of a kindergartner, I hope you like it!! :mrgreen:

Thank you Ref for sharing this special spot! Hoping that you feel great and have a terrific time in your Glacier! Tam :P

Postby Hockey Ref » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:28 pm

My pleasure, Tammy. I have a very similar photo framed in my living room!

Hockey Ref

Actually, Andy let me know that I didn't quite make to The Spot so again we tried in 2013. Mike and I got up there for sunrise and boy was it chilly! This time the skies were clouded and the characteristic mesmerizing glow on Gould and Grinnell Point was rather 'unenlightened'. BUT these clouds did have a silver lining. From Andy's Spot looking East over Lake Sherburne we were indeed rewarded.

I know we will return to The Spot to soak in the valley's many moods and always think of our friend Andy!
davidwayne
Gender?: Male

Post by davidwayne »

In planning our return trip to GNP in 2009, our first since 1991 and now with our two sons, I found this forum and used information posted by Andy to make it a memorable vacation. Since we were not staying at Swiftcurrent, we didn't make the Hockey Ref hike but instead did the Highline/Loop. But due to Andy's descriptions and advice, we made the hike to the overlook of Swiftcurrent Pass, his favorite spot, before going down the loop. Here is one of my favorite photos. You can see my sons off to the right taking in the grandeur.

Last year we were fortunate enough to stay at Swiftcurrent, so we were able to take the shuttle and enjoy the full "Hockey Ref" hike. Memories for a lifetime.

Thank you, Andy, for all the wonderful advice and information you have provided to users of this forum! You have helped countless groups maximize their enjoyment of GNP.
Heff936
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by Heff936 »

Andy was the first GNP Chatter we met after joining the page. We were excited to find out that there was at least one other Indy chatter and we soon discovered that we trained in the same two parks. So we arranged to get together to talk about all things Glacier and that started our friendship. We got to Know Andy well and also his wife Wendy. They attended the surprise 40th birthday party I threw for my wife Laura (Miss Guinness). Several chatters were in attendance and it was a very memorable evening. I was pleased to loan Andy some equipment when he decided to go backpacking for the first time in decades after becoming an accomplished dayhiker, tackling some long day hikes, like the one we affectionately named after him. It has definitely been a pleasure for Laura and I to get to know our friend Hockey Ref. My only regret is that I never got to hike with him in GNP. I'm proud that he asked me to take over the FAQ section and hope I can live up to the standard he set.

Heff
Ravekid

Post by Ravekid »

My very first post on this forum was back in Oct. of 2006. I asked general questions, and the very first person to respond was Andy. In fact, looking back he responded on more than just that first post. Andy gave some great advice given the type of trip I was planning. What is going on in his life has struck a cord with me, actually even before I read his message today. One regret I have had over the last handful of years is not really getting out on some trails. Last year I finally told my wife that our trip to the SW would include some early day hiking, even if just for a day. I also told her that hiking trips will be planned and she could stay home and work, or come with and just relax at the hotel/cabin/inn. So last Oct. I finally spent about an hour or so hiking some smaller trails in the Needles District of Canyonlands. That moment solidified my desire to start planning some true day hiking focused trips. So a few months ago I planned a hiking focused trip for later this year for Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I've purchased the gear and plan to do some closer to home hiking in preparation. Talking to my wife about LeConte Lodge at the top of the mountain lit a fire in her. Now she wants to do at least that hike. Recently her dad has started hiking 10K+ peaks out west. Oddly enough, I was thinking about life in general and decided that a Glacier hiking focused trip needed to be done, followed by Yellowstone, then Utah, Canada, and Alaska. I'm by no means old, but as the years go by....well, I just don't want to miss out on seeing some beautiful areas of this country while I have the ability. Last night I told my wife about my plans and she is all for it. We both loved Glacier and the surrounding area. It is beautiful beyond belief and I actually feel at home there than here.

So today I came to this forum, which I visit every so often, to get some information on a trip that won't be taken for another year and a half. It is then I read the post from Andy, a person who I've never met, likely live within twenty miles of, but feel like I know given all the post of his I've read over the years. When thinking about this upcoming trip I thought of "that guy who also lives here who referees hockey games." Here is some of his sage advice he gave to me on my threads:
Hockey Ref wrote:even if your group isn't into serious hiking, you can take advantage of short and easy hikes in several places in the park. A hike to the Hidden Lake overlook (at Logan Pass on the GTTS Road) won't disappoint. From the same starting point you can do an out-and-back along the Highline Trail as far as you like. It's spectacular. Easy hikes in the Many Glacier region include walking down the Swiftcurrent Pass trail and its string of lakes in the valley, and the boat-and-hike combination to Grinnell Lake. If you're feeling more ambitious, Iceberg Lake and the hike to Grinnell Glacier, both in the Many Glacier area, are among the best in the park. They are rated as moderately difficult, but should be no problem for anyone who's in reasonable shape. There are other easy hikes along the GTTS Road (St. Mary Falls and Virginia Falls are nice), in the Two Medicine area, and on the west side (Avalanche Lake).

...there are a number of trails in Glacier that are flat or basically so. For instance, in the Many Glacier area, the Swiftcurrent Pass trail heads into a valley along a chain of beautiful lakes surrounded by soaring peaks on both sides. The trail undulates gently up and down, but the total elevation gain is something like 60 feet. If you make the effort, a walk of 1.8 miles brings you to Red Rock falls, which is a very worthwhile destination and not at all difficult to get to. Go a little further, about three miles one-way total, and you get to the last lake in the chain, Bullhead Lake, with the cliffwall of Swiftcurrent pass right before you. It's all pretty much flat ground.

...The Highline trail at Logan Pass is basically flat for several miles. You can hike out as far as you want and return without having made any significant effort and still see some great scenery and wildlife.
In 2015 I'll finally be able to put some of this great advice to use. Plan on going for at least a week, four days on the east side, three or four on the west.

'
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

Hard to believe it's been exactly two years since Hockey Ref crested the summit of that off-trail route which we'll all have to hike someday.

I know many of us miss his presence here. The Chat just isn't the same with him gone.

So, in honor of Andy, let's toss a virtual stone onto the Swiftcurrent Pass cairn -- and hold him and his family in our hearts tonight.

isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator

Post by isleroyaleguy »

Amen!
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Very nice tribute to Andy, Joybird. His voice on the board is surely missed. It's been a lot quieter without him.

I'm looking forward to doing his hike this summer.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I remember well that July 30th 2013 day Andy, me, pokymom and her husband did ShangriLa. Andy told me he had always wanted to do ShangriLa.
So we met that morning at Swiftcurrent to make it happen for him. It would be the next to last hike he ever did in the park he loved so much.
The day started out foggy, cloudy, threatening to rain.
Pokymom's picture above of Andy ascending that chute reminded me of Andy saying several times, "My wife is going to kill me for doing this". 8)
However, God was smiling on Andy that day. Just about the time we reached the top of the ledges, the clouds dissipated and the sun came out.
I took this picture of Andy as he contemplated for the first and only time this breathtaking scene as one tops the ridge for a view of Iceberg Lake and the incredible cirque around it.

RIP Andy. I'm sure the view you have now is far, far better :D

Andy would have been able to see the lake on his left as well from his vantage point in the above picture
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

Return to “Hockey Ref's Wisdom”