Hockey Ref Update

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

jennifer1280
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Hockey Ref Update

Post by jennifer1280 »

Hello Glacier Friends,

This is Jen, Hockey Ref's (Andy) daughter. I wanted to share the news that my dad passed away this morning. Our family was by his side during the last difficult weeks, he put up a good fight. Words cannot express the special place Glacier held in his heart. He loved the park more than any other spot and was hoping for one final visit this summer. He felt lucky to have made it back a few times during his cancer treatments, a feat of which we are so proud.

While my mom, brother, and I are not chat page participants, we knew first hand the joy this community brought to his life. He loved nothing more than sharing his love for Glacier with you all. His abundant posts, trip reports, FAQs, and photos speak for themselves. We cherish his Glacier photographs and many are displayed throughout our homes.

From our family, we thank you for sharing your Glacier passion with my dad. He took comfort and peace reading your final messages to him. We wish you all happy trails (or something more poetic and profound that my dad would have written :)).

Love,
Hockey Ref's family
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male

Re: Hockey Ref Update

Post by Ear Mountain »

I'm very sorry to hear this news. My best wishes to you Jennifer and your entire family. Andy touched us all in numerous ways and for that he will always hold a special place in our hearts.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Thank you for letting us know, and my very best wishes to you all. Andy is going to be in the warm thoughts of a great many people wandering the trails of Glacier this summer.

Mark
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Post by brindledog »

Jen,
We are so sorry for your loss, but glad that you were able to be by your father's side in his final moments. He made a difference to so many people who came to this site seeking information about Glacier. And his Q&A will continue to be a "go to" for anyone who is trying to learn more about the place he loved so dearly. In that sense, he will continue to touch lives. I always enjoyed his posts and comments. I wish you and your family peace and comfort at this difficult time. Thank you for letting us know. Your dad was a truly special man.

Meg and Andy
Winston-Salem, NC
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

Jen,
I am so sorry to hear this news. Thank you for taking time to come visit the Chatters on such a difficult day. Hockey Ref left an indelible mark. We are all poorer without him, and rich in what he left us.

Marjorie from Chicago
July Guy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by July Guy »

Words can't express how saddened I am to hear of your loss...
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker
mikie

Post by mikie »

Sad to hear the news that we all knew was coming. Please accept our condolences and best wishes. Andy will be sorely missed by so many. Thank you for letting us know the news on this difficult day. It means a lot to our small group of Glacier fanatics.

I am going to be doing the "Hockey Ref" hike this September, and I will be thinking of your Father.
poky5mom
Donator
Donator

Post by poky5mom »

We are so sorry to hear this Jen - we met your dad this summer while we were able to do the Shangri Lai hike - that was on both of our bucket lists - your dad was a great man & we were so happy to get to hike with him - I know he was every excited at becoming a grandfather! We shared our grandparents experiences with him! Please extend our sympathy to your mom & the rest of your family - he is now hiking the great mountains of heaven!
Kent & Kim Wood
Kathy
Donator
Donator

Post by Kathy »

Jen,

I had the privilege of meeting your Mom and Dad several years ago, and my heart just breaks for her and you and your brother, and I will be holding you all close in prayer. As a pastor of mine once said, "No one gets out of this life alive.", and although we know that and faith tells us the person we love is far better now than they EVER were here on this earth and we may believe that with all we are....there is that darned human-part---our hearts---that feel broken and just hurt so bad 'cause we miss them so much. Praying faith and all the wonderful memories you and your Mom and brother have of and with your Dad will help the part that hurts, your hearts.

"You never really leave a place you love....part of it you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind."---I believe the same goes with people.

As your Dad asked in his final post, I will indeed place a rock on every cairn I come to in Glacier and think of him, and when I do, I will also remember and say a prayer for your family.

With deepest heartfelt sympathy,
Kathy
"You never really leave a place you love....part of it you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind."
So....Live well. - Laugh often. - Love much.----And get to Glacier as often as you can!
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

I have been thinking of Andy so I appreciate you updating us so quickly. My heart goes out to you and the rest of the family. He will be in my thoughts while I'm in the Park this summer.

Tina
MISSY
Donator
Donator

Post by MISSY »

We are praying for all of Andy's family and friends. I would like to express our appreciation for all the help and information that we received from Hockey Ref's post when we were planning our trips to Glacier. It was a joy to read his trip reports. I always looked forward to his photos and Chat post.
With Sympathy,
MISSY, David and Stephanie
NDjason
Donator
Donator

Post by NDjason »

Jen,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I was fortunate enough to meet Andy several times - including both in Glacier and in Indianapolis. I first met him while in town for my wife's chemotherapy. Andy, Tim and Laura met us at Holliday Park for a concert. She loved Glacier as well and was always planning the next trip, so we talked about all things Glacier with Andy during most of the music. It was a great escape from the treatments.

I will be thinking and praying for you and your family.

Grace and peace,
~ jason
Jen

Post by Jen »

Jennifer,
Thank you so much for updating us.

Clearly, your dad touched us all tremendously with his love which is our love also. As you already know, there are know words that any of us can type that will be as eloquent as your fathers. So I will just say that his legacy will always remain here with all of us.

Peace and love to you and your family,
Jen
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by MarxMN »

Jen,

Thanks for the update and I am sorry for your loss.

Bill
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

I received this note today from Andy's Step Brother and figured I would forward it on to all of you:

Dave,

Andy(Hockey Ref) passed away early this morning around 2:00 AM. Please let the rest
of the chatters know. And thank them all for all of the outpouring to Andy's last
post. The incredible response to his last post was extremely meaningful to him and
absolutely the best medicine he could have during his final decline. Outside of his
immediate family, Glacier was probably the most important thing in his life, ever
since my Father(his Step-Father) made him go to Glacier in 1973 as a scared young
man. He explained his love for Glacier best in his article that was published in "A
View Inside Glacier National Park, 100 Years, 100 Stories". (Andy's full name is
Paul A Anderson).

There were many times I tried to talk Andy into occasionally seeing other areas of
this beautiful Country, but he would not hear of it.

Although not necessary, if anyone would like to send a card to his Family, his
address is:

Andy and Wendy Anderson
8058 Claridge Road
Indianapolis, IN 46260

Take care and thanks to you and all members of the Chat Page,

Duncan J Kerr

Return to “Hockey Ref's Wisdom”