Looking for weather information?

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

I feel like Rip Van Winkle!

Post by daveparker »

Went to be last night and slept through summer! :shock: Woke up this morning, to two inches of snow and snowing heavy!

Geeze I hope summer gets here sometime!

:twisted:

Dave
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: I feel like Rip Van Winkle!

Post by Ear Mountain »

Just think of the visitors to Glacier who will arrive without warm clothes thinking it's summer! At least the fire danger will be kept low and maye the air will be clearer this year.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
July Guy
Donator
Donator

Post by July Guy »

daveparker wrote:Went to be last night and slept through summer! :shock: Woke up this morning, to two inches of snow and snowing heavy!

Geeze I hope summer gets here sometime!

:twisted:

Dave
Yup, got an e-mail from my dad this morning with the same report (says he feels like Noah). Even sent picures of the yard with snow...and said with all the rain, their yard has big patches of mold on it.
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

Well so far, we have got about 5 inches and it is still snowing, wet and heavy, I am sure this will slow the progress down on GTTS, our maple's are breaking down and the fir trees are dropping branches, talk about a weird freak storm, it has been almost ten years since this happened!

Dave
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Doesn't sound good there Dave. Hope all works out.

Precipitation is just starting to come over the Front. Most mountain south of Ear Mountain and north of Old Man of the Hills have disappeared. Forecast for us on the plains is 4-8 inches.
lcrans

Post by lcrans »

That's for sure.....it looks like February down here. Except all the young deciduous trees and shrubs are bent to the ground and may well snap before long. And it's still snowing as bad as earlier.....maybe 3 inches now, and I'm 1000 feet lower than Dave. I've gone out 3 times to shake snow off some specimens that I'ld hate to lose. Somebody turn up the heat, will ya???
Larry C.
Echo Lake

"Here is where God sat when he made America...", (Tom Dillon, 1912)
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

It seems the weather all over the country is strange this year. We had a cool wet April and May, then right into 90 degrees and humid with massive thunderstorms, tornadoes and widespread flooding. It seems there is a lot of energy in the atmosphere. I think with our early Glacier trip this year, we'll need to be more flexible than usual and also bring some additional gear. Instep crampons and ice axes were already on the gear list, but I'll include warmer clothing, just in case. :mrgreen:

Heff
Dusty in CT
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Dusty in CT »

lcrans wrote:That's for sure.....it looks like February down here. Except all the young deciduous trees and shrubs are bent to the ground and may well snap before long. And it's still snowing as bad as earlier.....maybe 3 inches now, and I'm 1000 feet lower than Dave. I've gone out 3 times to shake snow off some specimens that I'ld hate to lose. Somebody turn up the heat, will ya???

We have all your heat here in CT. Today hit 103, the 4th day of a heat wave. July 9 is our trip and we've been dying to do Hockey Ref's hike and get through the Ptarmigan tunnel. Other trips in early June were nice but limited. Thanks to everyone's advice here, we chose July instead of June.
lcrans

Post by lcrans »

Thanks, I'll take a few of your degrees. It's due to be in the mid 70's this weekend, from the low 30's now. Hopefully this stuff doesn't melt too quickly or we will need to get out the canoes.
Larry C.
Echo Lake

mtmzfan

Post by mtmzfan »

I'm soooo coooold. I can't get warmed up. I don't think the snow is doing anything for my attitude either. grrrr. Does anyone know what I should do with my plants? I covered up the tomatoes, but what about the rest of the garden? Flowers?
lcrans

Post by lcrans »

mtmzfan wrote:I'm soooo coooold.
Well, bundle up under the down comforter, control the shivers for a couple days, and hope that Ms Nature takes care of your budding flowers..... It'll all work (I hope)...
Larry C.
Echo Lake

Stevo

Post by Stevo »

It would almost seem that this cold dreary wet weather is the exact opposite from what last summer was like. Now...cold and wet, then hot and dry.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

All the old timers say this is how they remember June. Somewhere along the line Nature will flip the switch and summer will be here. Unless we have a repeat of 1993 when it just plumb rained all summer. Hope Not!
miss8

Post by miss8 »

About a week until we leave for our first trip to Glacier! I am very excited and hope the rain stays away for our trip (at least part of it anyway. :) I was distressed to learn that the opening of GTTSR has been pushed back, but kind-of expected it with the weather out that way. I live in Mississippi and we have had very, very hot days and nights lately. Maybe, we can bring some heat and sunshine to Montana! I do feel for those of you who are trying to save plants and shrubs. I love my plants and I am sad when they sometimes meet an early demise at the hands of Mother Nature. It does give me space to plant something new and watch it grow a while, and that is always nice. I've enjoyed this site and am ready to go see what all the fuss is about for myself. I'll put away my shorts next week and pack up the fleeces and get ready to go!
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Reports from the west side plow crew are that 24 inches of snow fell at Road camp. That point is about 1/2 way between the loop and Logan Pass. No plowing until lower elevation roads are cleared of snow and downed trees, the storm ends and the new snow settles. Plowing will probably resume next week. On a positive note the sun peaked out for a few minutes this evening.

Return to “Weather”