Snow conditions at higher elevations?

Looking for weather information?

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Tiz
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Snow conditions at higher elevations?

Post by Tiz »

Maybe it's still too early to ask this question. I am wondering whether crampons will be required mid September.

I assume that the ordinary trails (Boulder pass, Brown pass, Stoney Indian pass) will not pose a problem. (Maybe there will be some fresh snow but this should not require the use of crampons.)

But how about Hidden Lake - Floral Park Traverse - Sperry Glacier? Any recent information/pictures/reports available?

Thanks so much.
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Snow conditions at higher elevations?

Post by orin »

I was over Boulder Pass and Brown Pass 3 or 4 days ago and was up above Sperry a week ago. There is still a lot of snow up in both places. But on warm days the snow is soft and it was easy to kick steps across the steep spots. I had an ice ax and instep crampons along but never needed to use them on either route. So, if the warm weather continues the need for them will continue to decrease. But if the weather turned cold in early September and the remaining snowfields turned hard and icy it might be a different story.
sj in cal

Post by sj in cal »

orin wrote:I was over Boulder Pass and Brown Pass 3 or 4 days ago and was up above Sperry a week ago. There is still a lot of snow up in both places. But on warm days the snow is soft and it was easy to kick steps across the steep spots. I had an ice ax and instep crampons along but never needed to use them on either route. So, if the warm weather continues the need for them will continue to decrease. But if the weather turned cold in early September and the remaining snowfields turned hard and icy it might be a different story.
Orin, didn't realize you were a chatter!! (We met at Hole-in-the-Wall on the 19th!) Small world.
Steve
Tiz

Post by Tiz »

@orin Thank you!
Tiz

Post by Tiz »

I understand that the weather will now get bad/cold and that there will likely be some fresh snow at higher elevations.

Would you recommend to bring crampons? (I intend to do the floral park/sperry glacier traverse if the weather/rangers permit.)

Return to “Weather”