Snow pack

Looking for weather information?

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Kathym
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Snow pack

Post by Kathym »

What is the snow pack so far this year and how does it compare to the last few years? Planning a trip to Glacier in August and I know that the amount of snow has a lot to do with the fire season.
Pocketlint

Re: Snow pack

Post by Pocketlint »

Hi Kathy:

Judging by the graph in the link below, I would say the snowpack is slightly below the 1970-2011 average.
The trouble is snowpack levels can vary from place to place within the park. That said, if you're coming in August, you'll probably will have the "normal" snowpack conditions for most places....but that's ASSuming a lot. :)
I know that's not very helpful, but it's very early yet. We could get record amounts of snow in March/April/May, even June, months that typically contribute a high percentage of snow to the snowpack....or maybe not much at all. Nobody knows yet.

Were I you, I'd check the Flattop Snowtel info from time to time.

http://nrmsc.usgs.gov/research/ftm_snow.htm

Are you interested in a particular area/itinerary? Some of the chatters who live in the area, excluding me :) , sometimes snowshoe or ski into parts of the park during the Winter/Spring. They may have some good up to date info on specific places from time to time. So you might want to check the forum during the next 3-4 months.

pocketlint :wink:
Jay w
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Jay w »

Pocket,

It's interesting to hear that there is no snow this year, so thanks for the info that Going to the Sun Road will be open on May 30th. Also, I'm glad to hear that the Highline Trail will be open on June 15th. that makes for a long hiking season. Can you tell me when Gunsight Pass will be open?

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Jay w wrote:Pocket,

It's interesting to hear that there is no snow this year, so thanks for the info that Going to the Sun Road will be open on May 30th. Also, I'm glad to hear that the Highline Trail will be open on June 15th. that makes for a long hiking season. Can you tell me when Gunsight Pass will be open?

Jay
Jay:
You're a very naughty boy LOL!!
You're going to have poor Kathy all confused.
Pay him no mind Kathy :)
As for Gunsight pass...for stalwarts like you Jay, I suspect it will be passable no later than June 6th....
coincidently D-Day :wink:

Seriously though...there isn't much snow down here in the valley. And the rain yesterday melted some of what little we had here in Whitefish. :(
The higher elevations in the mountains are a different story. They seem to be getting some good snowfall. So perhaps the park will have a more "normal" snowfall season.
However, we have a long way to go before the snow season is over.
We like snow here. It's the lifeblood of the area for many reasons. That said, last season was a bit too much of a good thing. Many people had their plans really messed up due to the lingering deep snow.
I'm with the wag who said, "All things in moderation."

Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

Webcams show a bunch of snow.
And it's really early. Spring skiing not yet under way.
There were some nice reports about summer skiing last year, as I recall. :D
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

The NRCS data for Montana snowpack as of January 1, 2012 (the last date presently available) show the snowpack at 75-85% of normal for January first. The storm of January 16-19, 2012 increased the snowpack considerably. Preliminary reports indicate most drainages are now at 90-100 % of normal for that date. But the reports also indicate that to end the snow year with a normal snowpack will require approximately 125% of the normal snowfall for the remaining months. It is unlikely we will see anything like last winters snowpack but then no one knows for sure.

As to your original question pertaining to the fire season, it's anyone's guess. Too many variables between now and August. How much snow will we get? How wet and cold will spring and summer be? How many lightning storms will drop by?

Plan your trip and take what comes. There are always things to see and do no matter how the season goes along.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Tsmith

Post by Tsmith »

Keeping an eye on the Apgar lookout cam the snow depth seems to be increasing almost daily.
Visit my Glacier NP Photo Gallery and leave comments if you like, thanks!
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Tsmith wrote:Keeping an eye on the Apgar lookout cam the snow depth seems to be increasing almost daily.
Yuppers, we've been getting some snow lately, especially in the upper elevations. Looks like they will get substancial snow today in the mountains.

Down here in the valleys on the West side not so much :( Light rain/freezing rain here in Whitefish this morning.
Yesterday is was snowing nicely in the park while hiking, and driving home..all the way until I came out of Badrock Canyon into CFalls....where it quit :(

Tsmith

Post by Tsmith »

Yep is was at 97% on the 26th in the Many Glacier location: Snow Precipitation Update
Tsmith

Post by Tsmith »

Fairly significant snow since yesterday (2/26) has brought the totals up a good bit. 27'' at Flattop Mtn. and 13" at Many Glacier bringing the total up to 56" there. That's 1" more than at this same time last year ... :shock:
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Tsmith wrote:Fairly significant snow since yesterday (2/26) has brought the totals up a good bit. 27'' at Flattop Mtn. and 13" at Many Glacier bringing the total up to 56" there. That's 1" more than at this same time last year ... :shock:
I don't understand your post.
Current SWE(snow water equivalent) at Flattop is 33.9" 89% of average
Current SWE at Many Glacier is 12.9" 91% of average

What does that 56" figure represent at Many Glacier? I don't see that number here:
http://www.wrds.uwyo.edu/wrds/nrcs/upda ... te-mt.html

For those who aren't weather geeks like me, here is info about (SWE)Snow \Water Equivalent:
http://www.or.nrcs.usda.gov/Snow/about/swe.html

Tsmith

Post by Tsmith »

Pocketlint wrote:
Tsmith wrote:Fairly significant snow since yesterday (2/26) has brought the totals up a good bit. 27'' at Flattop Mtn. and 13" at Many Glacier bringing the total up to 56" there. That's 1" more than at this same time last year ... :shock:
I don't understand your post.
Current SWE(snow water equivalent) at Flattop is 33.9" 89% of average
Current SWE at Many Glacier is 12.9" 91% of average

What does that 56" figure represent at Many Glacier? I don't see that number here:
http://www.wrds.uwyo.edu/wrds/nrcs/upda ... te-mt.html

For those who aren't weather geeks like me, here is info about (SWE)Snow \Water Equivalent:
http://www.or.nrcs.usda.gov/Snow/about/swe.html

Using the NRCS site and comparing current snow depths to previous years at the same date, not the average percentage, I was just going on depth. SNOTEL Site: Many Glacier

and recheck those averages as they seemed to have updated the SWE %.

FLATTOP MTN. 6300 ELV SWE 35.8 38.4 93%
MANY GLACIER 4900 ELV SWE 13.4 14.2 94%
Last edited by Tsmith on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Ok I see what you were saying.
The site I quoted was as of 2/25 and did not include yesterday's snowfall
SWE is up to 13.4" vs 12.9" (+0.5") and snow depth is up to 56" with the ~13" of new snowfall.

Thanks

Tsmith

Post by Tsmith »

Pocketlint wrote:Ok I see what you were saying.
The site I quoted was as of 2/25 and did not include yesterday's snowfall
SWE is up to 13.4" vs 12.9" (+0.5") and snow depth is up to 56" with the ~13" of new snowfall.

Thanks

Yeah the new snow is certainly good news to hopefully keep down the summer fires and make the trails not quite so dusty ... :wink:
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

It's been a screwy snow season here on the West side.
Snow cover was very scant until in January...including higher elevations
Now the higher elevations are close to "normal" but we still have very little snow down here in the lower elevations. There's still barely enough to cover the ground in many of the Flathead Valley locations...and most of that has come in the last few days :shock:
If you look at that picture of me eating the sandwich in my hiking report from yesterday, you'll see "bare ground" underneath the tree I was sitting under. It "looks like" there is a lot of snow there along the Sun Road, but there really isn't nearly the depth of snow there "normally" is for this time of year.
Some of the farmers here in the valley are going to have low moisture in their fields unless we get a LOT of snow from here on out. Winter wheat crops may not be all that great :(

Return to “Weather”