This year's weather / snow levels

Looking for weather information?

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Dayhiker Scott 613
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

This year's weather / snow levels

Post by Dayhiker Scott 613 »

I didn't think I'd have a chance to make it back to GNP this summer. Now there's a possibility that I could, but it would most likely have to be early-mid July. My previous 2 trips (2010 and 2012) were during the 2nd and 3rd weeks in July, respectively. While I had an amazing time (obviously), it was disappointing that several trails that I was interested in were still closed or not advisable - Highline, Grinnell, Ptarmigan Tunnel, even Siyeh.

As much as I'm yearning to come back this summer, a part of me feels like if I come back for the 3rd time in 5 years and still can't get to some of the places I really want to see, then maybe I should wait until a time that I can come in August. This time I would be bringing the kids for the first time (ages 12 and 6), and I want them to have a wonderful first experience and get the "Glacier bug."

I realize that a lot of trail opening status will depend on the next 6 weeks, but as things stand now, does it look like another year of these types of trails not opening until late July or even August?
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: This year's weather / snow levels

Post by daveparker »

I suspect that this year you will find a similar situation, we had a record year in many areas for snow, I had more snow here at the house than I had in 96-97, which was also a banner year, it has warmed up pretty good as of late, but I would expect that there is still a lot of snow at the higher elevations.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

We got a dusting of snow here in Bozeman this morning! :D

But yeah ... it's been a couple of weeks since I've been up to the park, but there was definitely a little more snow than average, though not an overwhelming amount. Of course, we'll need to see how the next few weeks go, but most of the trails you mentioned are often still problematic in early July. Mid-july, things will probably look considerably better ... but a few trails like Ptarmigan Tunnel will likely still be closed at that point.
southernguy
Donator
Donator

Post by southernguy »

Ooops :oops: :oops: Thanks Paul

Here is a comparison of 5/13/11 to 5/12/14. 2011 was a high snow year. It looks to be a little less snow this year than 2011. Especially in the lower areas.

Last edited by southernguy on Tue May 13, 2014 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Dayhiker Scott 613 wrote:...My previous 2 trips (2010 and 2012) were during the 2nd and 3rd weeks in July, respectively. While I had an amazing time (obviously), it was disappointing that several trails that I was interested in were still closed or not advisable - Highline, Grinnell, Ptarmigan Tunnel, even Siyeh...
Your previous trips skipped 2011 a particularly heavy snow year. 2010 and 2012 snow years were substantially less than what we have this year. While 2014 is reported to be below the levels of 2011 it is most likely well above the levels you had when you last were in Glacier. We still don't know what spring will bring but so far spring has been cold and snowy in the mountains. The plains on the Rocky Mountain Front got 4 inches on Mothers Day with maybe a foot or more in the mountains. I suspect the trail conditions in mid July will be similar or more snowy than those your last experienced.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

southernguy wrote:Here is a comparison of 4/12/11 to 4/12/14. 2011 was a high snow year. It looks to be a little less snow this year than 2011. Especially in the lower areas.
There was a lot of white in the 2011 picture

Just want to point out that the second webcam picture says May 12 2014th. So you are comparing April levels to May levels.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

I forgot to mention, I had 6 in of snow yesterday. Based on the last few months, I would not count on the upper reaches being open, but I could be wrong, we have odd things happen the last few years.

:arrow:

Return to “Weather”