Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Current weather?

Post by Ear Mountain »

Jay w wrote:I bet the line is short for backcountry permits.
Jay
I was wondering if the park would even issue backcountry permits right now. Got my bc skis out and dusted them off. East side near Choteau is forecast for 24-36 inches. I'm betting that won't happen. But we'll probably get plenty enough for me to say I skied in September.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
indiana hiker
Gender?: Female

Post by indiana hiker »

Looking at the webcams this morning, it seems the snow storm may happen. Hope any hikers have made it in to a safe place.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Roads on the east side of GNP are either closed (Looking Glass Hwy) or listed as snowpack and ice. Teton County Sheriff announced Emergency Travel Only in Teton County. Snowing hard and windy.
sue

Post by sue »

This post is for Pete!!

We have been reading about the blizzard conditions near GNP with forecast calling for possibly 3' of snow for your area by tonight!! Just wanted to say we are thinking of you and hope you stay safe during this storm!!! We both treasure our hike with you and several others to Siyeh Bend in August of 2012. Marie Zambo and her husband as well as Chip and his daughter, I believe!! Our goal was to get back to hike again but grandkids, commitments and the like seemed to get in our way. Drat!!!! Here's to wonderful hikes for you in 2020 and keep those trip reports coming. We live vicariously through them!!

Sad to hear of the tremendous crowds and morons who can't seem to follow the rules of the trails.....must be a vast difference from when we were there in '07, '10 and '12.

Sue and Paul in Indiana
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

sue wrote:This post is for Pete!!

We have been reading about the blizzard conditions near GNP with forecast calling for possibly 3' of snow for your area by tonight!! Just wanted to say we are thinking of you and hope you stay safe during this storm!!!

Thanks for thinking of me Sue. Those of us who live here on the West Side will be fine.
The storm has turned out to be a big "Nothing Burger" for us 8) --at least so far. Lots of WIND here in the valley. 30-40mph out at my storage unit near the airport.
Cell service, cable TV, internet was interrupted here in the valley Saturday. Not sure why but probably trees blown over.
Snow on the surrounding mountains but not a lot. Raw today, still breezy and chilly--35F now. We might get an inch of snow here in the valley.
I spent all day yesterday finishing up moving from Whitefish to Kalispell.
I'm doing well though today. Unpacking stuff and doing laundry 8)

The East Side is another story from what I've seen in the news and GNP web cams. Looks brutal over there. The storm wouldn't rate a headline if it were January.
However, this sort of weather is unusual for the end of September. I sure hope the hunting parties in the Bob Marshall got the word and got out of there.
Depending on where they were it could be trouble. Some of those parties travel a LONG way back into the wilderness on horseback for their hunts.
One of the problems is that trees are still fully leafed out. The snow is going to bring some down. Travel could get ugly back in the wilderness.
And people in the wind prone areas around here may have power and cable problems.

We both treasure our hike with you and several others to Siyeh Bend in August of 2012. Marie Zambo and her husband as well as Chip and his daughter, I believe!!

That Siyeh Pass hike was a fun day wasn't it? Didn't Paul ride in the back of my old Ford Ranger "Squeeze" shuttling from Sunrift to the Bend? Had to put Squeeze down a couple years ago after 307,000 hard miles :(
I think we ended up having 10-11 people in our group since we picked up a few more at the TH and along the way. Remember Ken(Chip) had to bandage up my hand after I fell? LOLOL! Fun times and good memories. :D

Chip was back this year with his grandson. We did Siyeh Pass, The Dragon's Tail and ShangriLa. :D

Our goal was to get back to hike again but grandkids, commitments and the like seemed to get in our way. Drat!!!! Here's to wonderful hikes for you in 2020 and keep those trip reports coming. We live vicariously through them!!
I know what you mean. Times and commitments change. Plan on bringing grandkids next time. :)

Sad to hear of the tremendous crowds and morons who can't seem to follow the rules of the trails.....must be a vast difference from when we were there in '07, '10 and '12.
Yeah, it's quite a change from when y'all were here. The good news is that in spite of the crowds, the mountains and the trails are still beautiful and the hiking awesome as ever.
And so I'll continue to try and bring GNP to you and others as long as I can.
Give Paul my regards!!

pete :wink:

Sue and Paul in Indiana
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

sue wrote:This post is for Pete!!
We have been reading about the blizzard conditions near GNP with forecast calling for possibly 3' of snow for your area by tonight!!
Sue and Paul in Indiana
This is definitely an east side storm. Big moist low pressure system to the south and cold air to the north is pumping air back against the mountains on the east side. This is what is referred to as an Upslope Storm. In winter it brings tons of snow and in summer plenty of rain. Friends near Babb and others in East Glacier are reporting over three feet of snow as of Sunday morning. And it is still snow hard. Forecast is for continuous snow until last tonight or Monday morning.

I live just north of Choteau about 60 miles south of Browning. We received probably 18-24 inches of snow so far. It is still snowing hard. Another foot or so is forecast for today. The wind is pushing that around pretty good.

This storm is breaking September snowfall records for Great Falls, Choteau and Browning that were set in a similar September storm in 1934.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Hey, it ain't even cold out there. Since it's below zero here on the edge of the prairie (and was predicted to be colder), I assumed the weather moved west to east, as it usually does. Nope.

Ok, just a quick little cold snap, but I'm feeling wimpy, and don't really feel like dealing with it.

Jay

I have some new Sorels….
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Average (or normal) snowfall for Choteau Montana through December 10th is about 13 inches. This years we've had 3 blizzards and have received about 66 inches of snow on the plains. Yet the prairies near my home are on lightly snow-covered. Skiing is great in the mountains and places like West Yellowstone, Lone Mountain Ranch, etc.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

The weather here in the valley(Kalispell where I live now) sucks.
We got about an inch this morning, barely enough to cover the grass.
I don't have covered parking at my new place, so I just put on my snow/ice cover on my windshield.
I hate scraping ice :(

The forecast for tomorrow morning is below.
And of course it sucks because my workmate and I have to deliver a "triple wine barrel with its table/platform" to the consignment center in the Whitefish mall.
The barrel part weighs around 250-300lbs since it has a refrigeration unit built into it. The table is, thankfully, much lighter--maybe 150lbs.
So it could be an interesting morning if the road is icy :(

Doug is right. We need snow.

I got a lift ticket this year for the Big Mountain ski hill.
Super geezers over 70 used to be free, but season lift tickets are now $130.00(if bought early)--a bargain since season tickets for young folks are $1000.00 if bought now.
I figured even if I'm not competent initially to ski the xcountry trails, I can ride up to the summit house for photo opportunities and/or snowshoe where allowed.
I'm looking into lessons this year so I can learn to turn better on tight downhill turns---and stop quicker/better as well.
So I guess in the meantime I'll have to make do with snowshoeing until we get more snow at the lower elevations.

later

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Missoula MT
121 PM MST Wed Dec 11 2019

MTZ003-043-121800-
/O.EXB.KMSO.WW.Y.0063.191212T0900Z-191212T1800Z/
Flathead/Mission Valleys-Potomac/Seeley Lake Region-
121 PM MST Wed Dec 11 2019

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 11 AM MST
THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected with snow in the mountain
locations and a possibility of freezing rain in valley
locations. Total snow accumulations of up to an inch in the
Flathead and Mission Valleys.
Seeley-Swan Valley will see up to
4 inches. Ice accumulations of a light glaze in valley locations.
Mountain locations will see 6 to 12 inches of snow.

* WHERE...Flathead Lake, Flathead Valley, Mission Valley,
Polson, Highway 200 Bonner to Greenough, Highway 83 Seeley
Lake to Condon, and I-90 East Missoula to Bearmouth.

* WHEN...From 2 AM to 11 AM MST Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be affected.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Slow down and use caution while traveling.

The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can
be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

&&

$$

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Much better forecast 8)

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Missoula MT
130 PM MST Thu Dec 12 2019

MTZ003-131800-
/O.EXB.KMSO.WW.Y.0063.191213T0300Z-191213T1800Z/
Flathead/Mission Valleys-
130 PM MST Thu Dec 12 2019

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS EVENING TO
11 AM MST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 5
inches.

* WHERE...Flathead Lake, Flathead Valley, Mission Valley, and
Polson.

* WHEN...From 8 PM this evening to 11 AM MST Friday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be difficult, especially during the
morning commute.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Slow down and use caution while traveling.

The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can
be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

&&

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Another bummer forecast.
We got maybe an inch+ of wet sloppy snow in Kalispell :(

George Carlin
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I definitely know the "forecast = 4 inches, reality delivers 1" of slop" deal.

Not to brag, but here's a few photos from today.

Ear, the last one is at the high point. This is really unusual for us, but used to happen every winter (it seemed like) back in the 90s.

I spent the afternoon moving a pile of snow created by the snowplow. I'm staying at a friend's cabin, and I can easily see the plow operator running out of room to pile. Right now the snow is still kind of soft. So I used a scooper (think of rectangular box where the long side glides on the snow) to move a lot of snow. I basically knocked down the piles, but you're sinking knee deep in snow to do that.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
ND

Post by ND »

Hey Jay, I call this the 'perfect' winter so far. :lol: It's 4 days of shoveling and 3 days wondering if your car will start. Seems to neatly round out the seven day week! :x

The hope of getting back this summer keeps me going.
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

Jay and ND - nice photos. Thx for sharing. I like LOOKING at snow pictures and who doesn't like a good picture at the Park!

We've had a good deal of rain this winter. They say Dec rains means a good wildflower season. In Nov alone we had 2.33 (before and after Bill's visit). As you can see, the saguaro is fat and happy.
Yesterday I had a great short hike and got a cloud show (Altocumulus Floccus). I've seen this type of clouds on other occasions but it's certainly not a frequent event.
Image Image
a few more in my photoset/trip report https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=56383
ND

Post by ND »

Nice shots! Especially like the second one of the Saguaro with those interesting clouds in the background.

Return to “Weather”