A request, please read.

Even though Glacier is the focal point, the Flathead and the surrounding area presents boundless activities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

A request, please read.

Post by daveparker »

When I set this particular forum up I had envisioned it be a section to discuss the various recreational opportunities that surround the park, such as The Bob, The Great Bear, Flathead Lake, The National Bison Range, etc.

And please don't take me wrong, I know there are several events that happen over the course of time, but I would request if we could keep the topics to the immediate surrounding area, with a tone focused to recreation, I think it would be more in line with what this topic area is about.

I am re-thinking some things right now, as I know there are political subjects that come up, and out of all the systems, I participate in or run, we have all shown an adult attitude to discuss those issues. Thank you.

But again, I would like to see and emphasis on other area activities posted here.

Thank you for your understanding.

Happy Holidays.

Dave
Tom Sorkness
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: A request, please read.

Post by Tom Sorkness »

Hey Dave - is Fort Benton and the CM Russell country too far outside your scope for the chat? I grew up in Fort Benton and it seems to me that anyone going to Glacier would do well to visit the Missouri River area around Great Falls and Fort Benton, especially Fort Benton - the Birthplace of Montana. Although I'm a little biased, I think you get a real feel for Montana and even Glacier by getting out on the prairie and down to the river. Along with it's history, etc., Fort Benton is the starting point for the Missouri River breaks, etc - largely undisturbed since Lewis and Clark came through. James Willard Schultz got off the the boat at Fort Benton and ever wrote about the Missouri downriver from the town. And of course, you can't really appreciate the Blackfeet without getting out into this country that I'm alluding to.
Tara
Gender?: Female

Post by Tara »

Tom,
I think based on Dave's initial post on here that it is probably a bit further than he'd like to see discussed in this section...I think you should definitely talk about it though, just in the "Non Park Related Topics" section. I have been to Fort Benton, briefly (we went to see the "Old Shep" sites and the Missouri Breaks visitor center) and would love to go back and spend more time...a very intriguing area. I'm going to leave this post here but feel free to discuss more in the "Non Park Related Topics" section. I will definitely chime in! Thanks!
Tom Sorkness
Gender?: Male

Post by Tom Sorkness »

OK - that makes sense. Thanks for responding.

Return to “Areas Surrounding Glacier”