Anaconda Pintler Wilderness backpacking trip

Even though Glacier is the focal point, the Flathead and the surrounding area presents boundless activities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Nodust
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Anaconda Pintler Wilderness backpacking trip

Post by Nodust »

I lived in Anaconda for three years and never ventured into this area. Of course I wasn't into backpacking then, but I am kicking my self in the butt for not getting to see that area better. Now I want to take another Montana trip soon and do some backpacking in this area.

Anybody been? Looks like I can make a three or four night out of a loop very easily. I have some maps coming my way so I will have to study the trails some more.
Langdon Greene
Gender?: Male

Re: Anaconda Pintler Wilderness backpacking trip

Post by Langdon Greene »

Nodust, did you ever get up there? (I've been away from this board for a few years.)

There are a couple of great loops possible there, and/or a figure-8 that would the 2 loops together at Johnson Lake. Looking at a trail map, you'll figure out quickly the 2 obvious loops. I like the ENE loop better than the smaller WSW loop.

If you can spare the time, Start/End further ENE via Storm Lake (or even Twin Lakes), to add in that great stretch between Cutaway Pass and Storm Lake. One could also come in from the south side, up whatever that valley is to Seymour Lake, and still capture much of that area.

A-P wilderness is one of the most underrated sections of the CDT.
TnTammy
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Anaconda Pintler Wilderness backpacking trip

Post by TnTammy »

Hi LG,
We went to check out Anaconda Pintler on the tail end of a trip to Idaho in Aug, 2018. Initially backpacked in the Sawtooths for 5 days, then made our way over to the AP Wilderness and stayed in Anaconda. We were just planning on doing some recon of various trailheads and getting a feel for if we'd like to backpack there in the future. We went past Georgetown Lake and drove to TH's off Moose Lake Road, one of which travels back to Johnson and Edith Lakes. My heart sank at the burn, maybe as recently as the previous year. It was extensive. Looking up at the peaks was so enticing but so much of the trail would be wide open, exposed and hot without tree cover. It was forest of black sticks. So we travelled down the roads to Carpp Creek and past the East Fork Reservoir, lots of burn. So as not to completely miss out, we then went out Storm Lake Road and dayhiked to the Continental Divide from that TH. It was beautiful, and as i'd hoped the rest of the Wilderness would be. But atleast that area West and South was tragically burnt.
Didn't have time to check out any of the TH's from the South side.

Return to “Areas Surrounding Glacier”