Campgrounds after 9/1

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Kris91
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Campgrounds after 9/1

Post by Kris91 »

We'll be going to glacier mid sept- we got a backpacking permit for sept 11 out of iceberg/ptarmigan trailhead. I'm just wondering if campgrounds reservations are available then or how busy they might be. We would want to stay at many glacier sept 10.

Thanks,
Kris
PeteE
Gender?: Male

Re: Campgrounds after 9/1

Post by PeteE »

I don't mean to bum you out, but...
Based on last year, it will be quite busy at the Many Glacier CG.

Look at this:
https://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/ ... %20Glacier

Scroll to the bottom of that page and look at fill times for September for the last few years.
And note that you cannot reserve campsites at Many Glacier CG after September 1.
So you'll be looking at "first come first serve" to get a camp site in Many Glacier.
And if you recall, the lines and the waiting time at the gate on most days were long.

The situation on the East Side may be exacerbated because of the construction and early GTTS road closure on the West Side in September.
That's speculation on my part, but the construction, closings, and delays may drive more people to go to the East Side of the park.

Significant pavement preservation work will occur on the following schedule:

Spring 2019-June 22: Avalanche Creek to Jackson Glacier Overlook
Spring 2019-June 30: Chief Mountain Road (night work with traffic control in place)
Spring 2019-early July: West Entrance Station to Avalanche Creek (with traffic control)
After September 3, 2019: West Entrance Station to Avalanche Creek (with traffic control)
September 2-September 15: Avalanche Creek to Logan Pass (night work with traffic control)
September 16-September 30 (likely): Avalanche to Logan Pass hard closure - Logan Pass will be accessible from the St. Mary Entrance.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Jay w
Gender?: Male

Re: Campgrounds after 9/1

Post by Jay w »

Right now, I believe Rising Sun and St. Mary are both "hard sided only" camping. If you got 'em (hard sides), smoke 'em. So this is good news for the RV crowd but not so good news for the tent crowd. I believe Rising Sun is closing this weekend. That means MG and Two Med will get more pressure.

Public service announcement.

Jay

Bringin' the hard side. (But rants against the hard side. :D )
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.

Return to “Camping”