Quick / Favorite 1-Nighters?

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Quick / Favorite 1-Nighters?

Post by Fairbanks142 »

This year I was thinking that we would once again car camp the first night when we arrive. But we'll be arriving at GNP by around noon, and I'm thinking we'd have plenty of time to get to a backcountry campground on that first night....

So I'm looking for recommendations on backcountry campgrounds that are the best options for quick one-nighters, that would get us back to our car in just a couple hours.

On the west side, I'm thinking Lower Quartz Lake would be ideal for this? I know that the drive to/from Bowman lake can take some time....but the hike back to LQU is an up/down that can be done in a couple hours from the Bowman Lake parking area, yes?

Any other suggestions for great 1-nighters that get us back to the car early? Something that's the perfect combination of great scenery / fast hike out / plenty of time and energy left for driving / hiking to our next backcountry destination on night 2?

(I need to be planning something while I wait for my permit application to be processed!)
pitamakan

Re: Quick / Favorite 1-Nighters?

Post by pitamakan »

Round Prairie, if you want something really quick ... camping by the North Fork can be pretty cool.

The campground on the north shore of Lake McDonald would be another great one ... a level hike, just a couple hours hike, and the promise of an amazing sunrise.

Or the foot of logging Lake ... just two or three hours in, though the hike's a bit more of a slog there's not much elevation gain.

Lower Quartz would also just be a couple of hours of hiking, but it's over a ridge without anything in terms of views. The campground's OK, but not one of my favorites, and I remember it as being very buggy. If you wanted to hike a little further, though, Upper Quartz is a wonderful spot to camp.
trillerud1
Donator
Donator

Post by trillerud1 »

The trail to the campground on the north shore of Lake McDonald is a pain to hike.
Many, many downed trees from the recent fire & not much of an effort to clear the
trail. On a day hike last summer, I got plenty tired of going around, over, and under
trees.

robin
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Thanks Robin. I'm assuming (hoping) that some trail maintenance will happen before late summer....curious which end of the lake you were coming from? I believe we could park overnight on the upper end of the lake (end of the N Lake McDonald Rd), and that would be a shorter hike in and out, to and from the backcountry campground?

Pitamakan, those are great suggestions. I hadn't even considered Round Prairie or MCD. And great perspective on Lower Quartz.

I might be looking for something on the east side as well. Depends on what itinerary I get...
wnysteve
Donator
Donator

Post by wnysteve »

You can also get in to Lower Quartz by trail from the Inside North Fork Road. It's a 6.9-mile trail in, longer than the 3.5 miles via Bowman Lake, but you avoid the gain and loss caused by the ridge. The gain from the NF road is about 750 feet going in, and loss of 750 feet out. You will have to ford Quartz Creek once, not a problem with water shoes. If you like Park history, you will be passing through an easement of the Cummings Homestead that dates back to the early 20th century.
Last edited by wnysteve on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Thanks Steve. Curious what your thoughts are on the LQU campsite itself? I know the bugginess factor can come and go, but Pitamakan isn't the only one that's mentioned this about LQU.

Also, looking at Google Earth at the north shore of Lake McDonald....looks the the MCD backcountry site is right there on the largest point that goes out into the lake from the north shore, a little more than halfway up? I can see the tent sites there? And yes, lots of downed trees as Robin said.
wnysteve
Donator
Donator

Post by wnysteve »

Fairbanks142 wrote:Thanks Steve. Curious what your thoughts are on the LQU campsite itself? I know the bugginess factor can come and go, but Pitamakan isn't the only one that's mentioned this about LQU.

I didn't notice bugs, but I'm a September hiker, so that might be relevent.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

Cracker Lake in the Many Glacier area would be a very nice one-nighter. It's six miles each way and gains 1,120 feet on the way in. It's downhill on the way back. A very scenic destination. You could hike back out in about three hours or so; even faster if you really hot-foot it.

Oldman Lake in Two Med also is a possibility, although it's nearly eight miles each way and wouldn't be a quick exit.

Or Cobalt Lake, also in Two Med. It's 5.7 miles each way and gains 1,400 feet on the way in. It's all downhill on the way out.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

For the east side, I'd look at the Two Med area ... No Name, Upper Two Med, and Cobalt are all great choices. For the first two, you could use the boat to shorten the hike.

I haven't hiked the full Quartz Creek trail, but it's very lightly used and doesn't get a lot of attention from the trail crews. The lower half of the trail is actually an old road, and the people who now own the old Cummings homestead drive 4-wheelers on it to access their place. (The general public can't drive on the route.) The old homestead buildings all burned in a forest fire several years ago, and there's now a small, modern cabin on the Cummings property.

Once you get past Rocky Point, the trail along the north shore of Lake McDonald is pretty lightly used ... but if you try it in August the trail crew should have (hopefully) at least cleared the deadfall. I've never spent the night at that backcountry camp, but it seems like it would be a great spot to hang out for an evening.

Mark
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

You might try Red Eagle lake from St Mary. The Two Med backcountry campgrounds usually require a two night route I think.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

gunsight lake on the eastside is a great one nighter. about 6 miles one way. easy walking, good fishing.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

I've seen folks at ranger stations late in the day trying to get a permit for someplace. Always ends up the place the can get is a long drive. They probably end up getting to camp fairly late.

A reservation would be nice but keep in mind reservations are cancelled and the site is opened to anyone who wants it after 10 in the morning.

My suggestion would be to spend the first night in a car camp somewhere and get acclimated befoe heading into the backcountry.
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Ear Mountain wrote:A reservation would be nice but keep in mind reservations are cancelled and the site is opened to anyone who wants it after 10 in the morning.
The BC Guide says "Reservations are held only until 4:30pm the day of the trip."

So my understanding is that I could reserve a 1-nighter, and show up that day any time before 4:30 to pick up my permit. At least that's my understanding.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

I didn't check this years guide. In the past it was 10:00 am. Maybe different now.
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Any thoughts on Snyder Lake for a one night trip, that leaves time and energy to start the first leg of a another backcountry trip the next day? Any fishing up there?

Return to “Camping”