Hiker/Biker campsites

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Lora
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Hiker/Biker campsites

Post by Lora »

Does anyone know if the hiker & biker campsites can be reserved in advance? Do they usually fill up in the same way the individual sites do or is there usually plenty of room? Thanks.
isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Re: Hiker/Biker campsites

Post by isleroyaleguy »

They can't be reserved.
But from my experience, they are rarely full. We were the only ones there, the few times we've been there.
Happy New Year
IRG
Lora

Post by Lora »

Thanks for your reply. That's good to know. I don't really like making reservations in advance. I much prefer staying free to follow the moment.
texanbikerhiker

Re: Hiker/Biker campsites - Sept 1-5

Post by texanbikerhiker »

Same question but for 9/1-5. Most vehicle sites are reserved. Also, I arrive by Amtrak at 9:45 pm (probably later as the train is almost always late, a local told me). Should I worry about bears on that 4-5 mile slog up the hill to Fish Creek? Can I hitch a ride from someone in the bar at near the train station? Just camp there or in the bushes for the night? Do I risk coming all this way to have no assured spot? How would I even know which biker/hiker sites are degnated that and find it in the dark? If in a car or RV site, I'd have to move to St Mary's for 9/2-3 and back to Fish Creek before leaving the am of 9/5. However, I really want to attempt to ride the Going to the Sun Road; I think the shuttle ceases 9/4 so getting back would mean biking to the Amtrak. Not bikepacking or back country camping, not that strong carrying extra weight. Grateful for this forum and hope someone sees it ASAP so I can reserve a pay car site if that's the better option before they go away. Thanks!
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Don't push it. Get a reservation at the Glacier Highland for the the night your train arrives then head into the park in the morning.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
texanbikerhiker

Post by texanbikerhiker »

Thanks, Ear Mtn. Reasonable idea though uses more of my budget than I'd like. Assuming they allow checking in maybe as late as midnight. Also would you address the main question of whether I should reserve a car campsite or trust that there will be ample hiker/biker sites? Any private campsites right there? The only Warm Showers / Couchsurfing person to reply, who sleeps in a bus at the rafting company, will be gone. I could poasibly go into Whitefish where i do have a Warm Showers place if needed, but hate to show up late and would still have to pitch my tent. I bought the train ticket to W. Glacier, plus would have to get back to the park the next morning. Not ideal situation, but that's budget travel. Any other brainstorms, anyone?
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

I assume you've read what the park says about the hiker/biker sites here:

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/ ... MP_5204139

Have you tried calling the park to ask them directly how a late-arriving biker might check get a site and what happens if those sites are full and there is no "regular" site available?
The main number is (406) 888-7800 . They can probably transfer you to one of the campground officials.

If you can't get a clear answer from them, I'd just go ahead and reserve a car campsite (looks like there are some still available) for your first night and then switch to the other hiker/biker sites (first-come, first-served, I assume) the next day. The peace of mind will be well worth the extra $15 or $20 bucks.

Good luck!

Return to “Camping”