1st trip... many questions...

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

antsypants
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

1st trip... many questions...

Post by antsypants »

:D
hello, My husband and I are coming 2nd week of July.... havent' picked exact dates but am planning on a week in the park with a couple days to travel coming and going home. WE live in Denver, does anyone know if I should head to the east or west end of the park to camp? or does it matter?? We have a 250 dodge diesel and pull a 27ft 5th wheel. I can't decide which way to travel. Go up through to the West or East side? Is there a better way and does anyone know of some good halfway spots to stay over? I am fine with boondocking. I am thinking we should stay somewhere our first night once we arrive that has reservations, but after that we want to stay in a scenic area, with lots of nice views and hiking... I know many of the campgrounds are first come and so we will prob have to get up early to get a spot? anyone else done this? I was also entertaining the idea of camping a couple days in Yellowstone at pebble creek? anyways..... If anyone has some helpful suggestions for me. I am not sure what to do. We have been camping in our 5th wheel for a couple summers now. We are bringing our 4 year old granddaughter with us too. Want to do St Mary Falls hike and are up to any other suggestions? Also, when is the best time to go for wildflowers? or should I even care. Every picture and video I have seen of the park makes me so excited!!! maybe I should have posted this somewhere else?? I just noticed it is for sharing experieces.... oops??

thanks
Debbie

ps. I have been looking at ST Mary's campground. maybe we would like to just stay here our whole trip?? Would you stay in one place or try a couple different campgrounds??
also, do you recommend any loops at st Mary's campground? thank you!!!
PeteE
Gender?: Male

Re: 1st trip... many questions...

Post by PeteE »

Lest you think folks are ignoring you 8)

I'd make your way up the Rocky Mountain Front via US89 to St Mary if your rig can handle the hills. Much more scenic than the Interstate.
I would also recommend basing yourself in the St Mary area for the duration of your visit.
You can stay at the St Mary CG(see rules about generator use) The park has a LOT of rules imo... Not so many at the KOA and Johnsons.
There is a KOA at St Mary as well as Johnson's CG which cater to RV's like yours. Both take reservations and both have nice views from the big RV sites.
And I highly recommend making reservations....and early if you can.
St Mary is centrally located for the East side. Two Medicine and Many Glacier areas are less than an hour drive. Logan Pass less.
I say stay in one place and drive your truck wherever you want to go.
Drive less and hike more is my motto :)

Mid July is usually very good for flowers most years.
That said, it's always a crap shoot on when the peak time comes.
It's very weather related as you probably know living in Colorado. A big snow year may delay blooming.

Regarding the West side. You should go spend time on the West side and sight see.
The Alpine section of the Sun Road on the West side should not be missed.
Not that big a deal to drive from St Mary to Apgar.
You can't take your camper over the Sun Road. Way too long.

I nag folks to get on the road early. It's just dumb to spend your precious time driving around in the traffic in the later morning.
Early is better for seeing animals, the light is better for pictures, and FAR less hassles driving and parking.
And it WILL be busy in mid July.

I'm sure you'll get some other ideas from chatters with kids regarding hikes and other activity.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
antsypants

Post by antsypants »

Thank you Pete. Lots of valuable advice!!
I guess people are not as excited about trip planning in middle of winter. It is what keeps me sane!!!
Thanks again I really appreciate it!
Debbie
antsypants

Post by antsypants »

You can guarantee I will be up early!!! Thanks!!
I've been to Tetons and Yellowstone so many times. I thought I better venture out to new parks!!
dracula8

Post by dracula8 »

Wish you all the best for your journey. I would like to suggest you one thing don't forget to take necessary things like- knife, first aid box, axe, foods. :)
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

dracula8 wrote:Wish you all the best for your journey. I would like to suggest you one thing don't forget to take necessary things like- knife, first aid box, axe, foods. :)
You looking at the dates of the posts you're responding to?
You're over a year late with your advice.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

Return to “Camping”