St. Mary Campground restrictions

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

St. Mary Campground restrictions

Post by llholmes1948 »

mrcub14
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: St. Mary Campground restrictions

Post by mrcub14 »

This was a nasty surprise for me when I arrived on Saturday night. I wish they had been a little more proactive with contacting people with reservations, or getting the word out publicly. The alternatives didn't really work out for me or my plans.
Tentgal
Gender?: Female

Post by Tentgal »

I was also looking for advice on this. Going to Glacier next year mid to late August, and we are a tent family. Trying to get a feel for when we can likely beat the hyperphagia phase, so that we do not have to worry about restrictions related to bears. Debating between St Mary Campground, or the KOA just outside of the park. Can someone advice when on average the campground restrictions tend to go into place? Would you recommend camping in the park, or stay in a cabin nearby? Thanks!
PeteE
Gender?: Male

Post by PeteE »

Tentgal wrote:I was also looking for advice on this. Going to Glacier next year mid to late August, and we are a tent family. Trying to get a feel for when we can likely beat the hyperphagia phase, so that we do not have to worry about restrictions related to bears. Debating between St Mary Campground, or the KOA just outside of the park. Can someone advice when on average the campground restrictions tend to go into place? Would you recommend camping in the park, or stay in a cabin nearby? Thanks!
I live in Whitefish on the West Side but have stayed at all three campgrounds in St Mary.
St Mary in the park; KOA; and Johnson's campground which is across US89 from KOA.

I would recommend you stay in at KOA.
MUCH nicer amenities at KOA. Nice pavilion with showers, swimming pool, hot tub.
They have a laundromat and small store on site as well.

St Mary CG, located just inside the park has ONE shower house for the entire CG.
And like this year, they can close the CG to tent campers on short/no notice.
You could wind up having no place to go.
The park has had record breaking crowds the last 3 years.
You best make a reservation as soon as KOA begins taking them for next season.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Tentgal
Gender?: Female

Post by Tentgal »

Thanks for the info. Since we are looking to stay a week, the laundry would be nice to have. I have reached out to the KOA to get some answers, but you make a very good point about having no place to go if they close on that short of notice. Keeping my fingers crossed that the KOA still has availability when I can book my reservations. Thanks again!

Return to “Camping”