Coleman Stove Cooking

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Jay w
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Coleman Stove Cooking

Post by Jay w »

Favorite easy Lunch
Favorite easy Supper

Go.

We're kinda stumped on stuff beside the typical pasta dishes.

Thanks,

Jay

Fuel in the hull.
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
brindledog
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Coleman Stove Cooking

Post by brindledog »

Breakfast for lunch: I love scrambled eggs with chopped mushrooms/peppers, salsa, cheese and meat of your choice in a flour tortilla. Fast to cook on a Coleman stove and delicious.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Breakfast: Whey-to-Go Protein shake with 2% milk or powdered milk depending on what is available, 3 dried plums (prunes), 1/2 cup home made Granola (Nancy's special recipe), plenty of coffee.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I like the breakfast burrito idea. We've done that in the past, but it got me thinking about "jarring" up some eggs for the cooler. (Easy storage.)

I've been doing protein shakes almost every morning, but I didn't think about bringing powder on the trip. Hmm.

I also though about grilling up some taco meat and "jarring" up that before leaving.

Basically, it's easy to carb up while camping, but it's hard to get protein and vegetables. Salad makings last only a few days and usually we don't bring items like burger or...porter house steak. Hell, I've never grilled a porter house at home. We do bring tuna and sausage (think in terms of crackers and cheeze). One other idea I'm thinking about is a hobo meal or a aluminum foil meal. That would actually require a fire, and usually I'm tired in the evening so I graze amongst the easy carbs including beer.

Keep it coming.

Jay
daschmit

Post by daschmit »

I use this high-fiber, antioxidant-rich breakfast every morning. With minor modification, it could be prepared over a Coleman stove as well:

One (or two) packets of Quaker Instant Oatmeal, Original Flavor (or 1/3 cup of oat bran; I use Bob’s Red Mill High Fiber Oat Bran Hot Cereal. If this product is not available through local grocery/health food stores, it certainly can be purchased from vitacost.com.)

One tablespoon ground flax seed

Seven halves of English Walnuts (ground to an almost flour-like consistency with coffee grinder; one tablespoon of almond meal could be substituted)

One scoop whey protein isolate (I use Nature’s Best Isopure Dutch Chocolate)

One tablespoon Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa Powder

Blueberries (roughly 1/2 cup by volume), cinnamon (preferably Ceylon), Skim Milk and Splenda (one packet) to be added as a topping

Place oatmeal (or oat bran cereal), flax seed, protein powder, walnuts and cocoa powder in bowl (or pot). Add one cup of boiling water. Stir VERY thoroughly. Cover and allow ingredients to sit for 3-4 minutes. Add topping of blueberries, cinnamon, Splenda and skim milk.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

For dinner, we like making quesadillas on the stove. Tortilla on the bottom, load up with pre-cooked chicken (usually rotisserie), onion, peppers, jalapeno, cheese, whatever else sounds good, then another tortilla on top (if your pan is small, you can fill half a tortilla and fold). Brown up the bottom, then flip. Top with salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Tortilla chips on the side.

Pick some hucks while you are hiking and have pancakes and sausages.

Wraps are an easy no cook lunch. Tortillas loaded with tuna or lunch meat, hummus, spinach or lettuce, veggies, cheese, etc

Hobo meals are easy, but tend to turn out really dry if you use chicken.

Loaded baked potatoes. Throw them on the coals and enjoy a few beers while they are cooking.

A dutch oven would open up a whole nother world of possibilities!
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Thanks for the ideas. Julie's the cook, but she's working and can't offer much help packing, so these are good ideas. I'm more of the "rotate the tires" kind of guy.

Thanks.
Deb1741

Post by Deb1741 »

These are some of my "go-to" easy meals for when my grandson and I spend time in Yellowstone Park. I cook everything up in advance and freeze it in re-purposed plastic jars (mayo jars) that I can throw away afterwards. All I have to do when we're ready to eat dinner is reheat in a pot on the Coleman stove. Very little cook time and very little cleanup time which I love.

1. Spaghetti sauce with hamburger * I buy the thin spaghetti noodles to cut down the cook time for the noodles. I've toyed with the idea of just cooking noodles ahead of time and freezing them with the sauce mixture but haven't
2. Homemade chili *we add cheese, green onions, and corn chips on top for fixings
3. Homemade hamburger soup
4. Taco meat for taco salad *while we love tacos we've only used the meat for taco salad
5. Pulled pork for sandwiches *also good to put on salads
6. Sloppy Joes meat

I've also done breakfast for dinner with scrambled eggs, pre-cooked bacon (I buy a huge bag at costco because my grandson likes making BLTs for lunch) and OJ which is always filling to eat. I like your idea of putting eggs in a jar ahead of time. I'm always fighting keeping the eggs from cracking when they're in a carton and most eggs I buy don't fit in the plastic egg carton I have.

Deb
"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast" ~ unknown
"Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way" ~ Dr. Suess

Return to “Camping”