Going-to-the-Sun Road Corridor Management Plan Environmental

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Chip
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Going-to-the-Sun Road Corridor Management Plan Environmental

Post by Chip »

The Going-to-the-Sun Road Corridor Management Plan Environmental Assessment is open for comments till 6 Oct. Also a public meeting will be held in Kalispell on 17 Sept.
https://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.c ... ntID=98289
PeteE

Re: Going-to-the-Sun Road Corridor Management Plan Environme

Post by PeteE »

Ken, I think we had a discussion about the GTTS road when you were out here with your grandson.

http://www.glacier.nationalparkschat.co ... 91#p108191
8)

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

article in the Flathead Beacon about the management plan:

https://flatheadbeacon.com/2019/09/20/p ... isitation/
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

The various proposals, if implemented, would affect everyone who posts on the Chat.
This would be an excellent time to make your views known.
Suggestions in the plan include expanding shuttle service along the entire Sun Road; implementing a partial parking permit system at popular locations like Logan Pass, St. Mary and the Virginia Falls Trailhead as well as prohibiting overnight parking (thus preventing people from parking and going for a multiday excursion in the backcountry while taking up valuable parking lot space)
The plan also suggests using a permit system on popular trails like the Highline to help limit the number of people on the trail during busy times of the year.
Park officials noted that reserved parking and trail permit systems would only be used during the busiest times of year and only when certain visitation thresholds had been exceeded.
So much for planning 6 months ahead.
Mow said one of the big issues he hopes the plan addresses is making sure people who just want to stop at a place like Logan Pass for a few minutes can do so. Currently, hikers who arrive early and leave late take up dozens of spots in the parking lot.
What percentage of the spaces at Logan Pass is actually filled by overnight hikers?
These and other proposals in the Management Plan appear to prioritize one type of visitor (casual) over another type (devotee, more likely to support Glacier NP Conservancy).
Plenty in the Management Plan to get the quills going.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Selkie wrote:The various proposals, if implemented, would affect everyone who posts on the Chat.
This would be an excellent time to make your views known.
Suggestions in the plan include expanding shuttle service along the entire Sun Road; implementing a partial parking permit system at popular locations like Logan Pass, St. Mary and the Virginia Falls Trailhead as well as prohibiting overnight parking (thus preventing people from parking and going for a multiday excursion in the backcountry while taking up valuable parking lot space)
All these "permit" plans are problematic. How would they actually be implemented and managed?
Sounds good on paper but a bad idea imo

The plan also suggests using a permit system on popular trails like the Highline to help limit the number of people on the trail during busy times of the year.
Same answer as above. HOW would you implement a permit plan?
Park officials noted that reserved parking and trail permit systems would only be used during the busiest times of year and only when certain visitation thresholds had been exceeded.
Same answer, looks good on paper but unworkable in reality

So much for planning 6 months ahead.
Mow said one of the big issues he hopes the plan addresses is making sure people who just want to stop at a place like Logan Pass for a few minutes can do so. Currently, hikers who arrive early and leave late take up dozens of spots in the parking lot.
The priority imo is parking for those who want to stay longer,not for those who want to stay 10 minutes.

What percentage of the spaces at Logan Pass is actually filled by overnight hikers?
VERY FEW are filled by overnight hikers. I was up at Logan Pass many many early mornings this year and past years.
Yes, there were some cars parked overnight, but not many.

These and other proposals in the Management Plan appear to prioritize one type of visitor (casual) over another type (devotee, more likely to support Glacier NP Conservancy).

Plenty in the Management Plan to get the quills going.
The long term answer in my view is to get rid of privately owned vehicles on the GTTS road.
I posted an idea below a while back.
It will probably be disliked by everyone...which means it's a good ide
a 8)

From same topic I posted earlier

I DO NOT like the idea of some sort of permit system arbitrarily limiting the number of visitors based on a system where people use their private vehicles for transport on the GTTS road.

Personally, I believe the ultimate long term solution for the GTTS road, is to ban private vehicle traffic altogether--NO exceptions for anyone including the "handicapped".
People with disabilities can be accommodated in the same way they are currently at other venues.
I know everyone LOVES their cars and the ability to be independent, but the GTTS road is becoming just a overcrowded MESS.
At least i see it that way. I've been out in the park nearly every week this year.

Sooooooooooo.... :)

I'd establish much larger parking lots at St Mary and Apgar.
Yes I know it would mean paving over more land but there's plenty of unused land in both places.
There's always trade offs that will displease someone. 8)

There would be a system of tram car trains pulled by environmentally friendly diesel-electric engines that would be continuously moving between St Mary and Apgar.
Switch to 100% electric transport when/if that technology is feasible.
The number of trains in service at any given time would depend on the number of visitors. Additional trains would be added at Apgar or St Mary as needed to keep crowds from building up at either end of the GTTS road.
Visitors would get on and off at the existing stops with more stops being built over time. Having continuous trains would allow folks to stay at the various stops to take in the scenery, make pictures, etc.
There would be stops at current trail heads as well as new trail heads mentioned in the plan just submitted.
Backpackers and day hikers would still be able to get to and from their trail heads as always.
Yes, they would have to plan more carefully than now, but again...it's doable.

This idea is not perfect and it won't make everyone happy. No plan will.
But I think there is wide agreement that we need to get rid of cars on the GTTS road.

Just a thought

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

The comment period has been extended to Nov 6:

https://missoulian.com/news/local/glaci ... 2ced5.html

Here is a letter to the editor with some interesting data:

https://www.dailyinterlake.com/letters_ ... ested_park

And here’s a recent article promoting limits on visitation rather than creation of more trails and parking spots:

https://www.hungryhorsenews.com/front_p ... _criticism

Return to “Road Information and Transportation”