2021 Transportation

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

2021 Transportation

Post by zozeppelin »

I figured summary thread would be helpful for the unique circumstances this year as I go through planning for my trp. I'll try to keep this post current with updates from others (please chime in).

Going to the Sun Road, Private Vehicle
  • Cost: Free
  • Reservations: Yes* (6 AM - 5 PM, May 28 - Sep 6), $2. Opens 60 days in advance (8 AM MDT). Link
  • Comments:
    • *Tickets not required those with reservations on GTTSR (campground, hotels, tours, etc).
    • Advanced reservations supposedly cover 75% of seats, with remainder released 48 hours prior (8 AM MST).
    • NPS Link
Going to the Sun Road, Shuttle
  • Cost: Free
  • Reservations: Yes, $2. Opened June 1st for the season, through Labor Day weekend. Link.
  • Comments:
    • Currently running half capacity on seating.
    • Advanced reservations supposedly cover 75% of seats, with remainder released 48 hours prior (8 AM MDT).
    • Requires validating (picking up bracelets) no sooner than 72 hours in advance at St Mary or Apgar. Flexibility provided to backcountry hikers that will be on the trail during that window (and perhaps other situations).
    • Shuttle Reservation covers ticketed entry (above).
    • Limited number of stops (link): Apgar, Lake McDonald, Avalanche, Loop (updated), Logan, Jackson Glacier Overlook (updated), Sun Point, Rising Sun Boat Dock, Rising Sun, St Mary
    • NPS Link
Red Bus / Jammer / Xantera Shuttles
  • Status: "The shuttle will be first come, first served for 2021, with extremely limited seating." [East Side Only it appears]
  • Reservations: Required
  • Cost: $14 Adult, $7 Child (except Village Inn to Train Station)
  • Schedule:
    • East Side (Swiftcurrent, Many Glacier Hotel, St Mary)
      1. 8:00, 8:05, 9:15
      2. 10:00, 10:05, 11:15
      3. 15:30, 15:35, 16:45
      4. 18:00, 18:05, 19:15
    • West Side (Lake McDonald Lodge, Village Inn, West Glacier Train Station)
  • Link.
Glacier Sun Tours
  • Reservations: Required, 406-732-9220
  • Link
Pursuit Shuttles
  • Status: Not Available for 2021 Season per website, but reserved by phone
  • Reservation: Required
  • Cost: Depends
  • Schedule:
    • East Side connects Glacier Park Lodge to St Mary and Two Medicine.
    • GPL to Two Medicine: 8:15, 10:30, 12:15, 14:30, 15:10, 18:30
      • returns 8:45, 11:00, 11:10, 12:45, 15:00, 15:10, 16:00, 18:45
    • Two Medicine to St Mary: 8:45, 12:45
      • returns 10:00, 14:00, 17:30
    • GPL to St Mary: 8:45, 12:45
      • returns: 10:00, 14:00
  • Link
Glacier Commuter / Eagle Transit / Mountain Climber
  • Reservation: Required
  • Cost: ? (was free)
  • Schedule ? On Demand ?
  • Comments:
Amtrak
  • Schedule:
    • West Glacier to East Glacier
      • Depart: 8:11
      • Arrive: 9:44
    • East Glacier to West Glacier
      • Depart: 18:45
      • Arrive: 20:23
Glacier Institute
  • Cost: $100 per person
  • Reservations: Yes, Opened July 1st through September 30th.
  • Schedule:
    • Depart: 8:00
    • Arrive: 17:00
  • Destinations:
    • Hidden Lake Overlook
    • Highline Trail
    • Avalanche Lake
    • Complete GttSR
  • Link
Mountain Shuttle
  • Cost: email / call, ~200 Kalispell to West Glacier, ~300 to East Glacier/St Mary/Two Medicine
  • Link
  • Comment: very responsive when contacted by email. Prices close to Arrow.
Arrow Shuttle
  • Cost: see website, ~200 Kalispell to West Glacier, ~300 to East Glacier/St Mary/Two Medicine
  • Link
Backpacker's Ferry
  • Cost: Unknown
  • Phone: 406-845-3905 , 406-353-7691
Falcon Adventures
  • Cost: Unknown
  • Phone: 406-845-9916
Taxi
  • Mountain Chief Cab Co
  • Phone: (406) 450-2921
  • Reservations: $25
  • Rates:
    • East Glacier to Two Medicine: $50
    • St Maty to Two Medicine: $85
Last edited by zozeppelin on Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:42 am, edited 10 times in total.
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: 2021 Transportation

Post by tibber »

Hopefully this will help others.

You should see the game plan Tina and I have had to put together to negotiate our trip around the Park which includes 2 nite backpack at Gunsight, 2 nites at Granite Park Chalet and a 3 nite backpack in Two Med... all consecutive. So we had to get 1 GTTSR ticket for me coming from the west side, 2 shuttle tickets for Gunsight and two shuttle tickets for the Chalet portion. We got the Gunsight in case we can't find a place to park at Jackson Overlook and have to drive back to St Mary VC.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Sounds like a great trip ... crazy all the individual reservations you had to make. I assume ideally you park at Gunsight trailhead, then drive to Logan Pass and park there, and then drive to Two Medicine? The only catch I see (beyond the reservation insanity) is if you can't park at Logan (assuming this is what you do) how will you validate the shuttle pass for after the Chalet to get back to your car as you can only do that 72 hours in advance at Apgar/St Mary?

The reason I ask is that is the crux of the problem I'm trying to figure out - I'm on a 5 night hike from Two Medicine to Lake McDonald, and I won't be able to validate a shuttle pass for use at the end of the hike. I prefer to leave my car at the end to avoid the anxiety / need to rush, but there is no obvious way for me to get to Two Medicine from McDonald with the current conditions (namely the east side shuttle not being available). Ideally I'd drop the car at Logan (GTTSR shuttle to St Mary) or St Mary, then take the east side shuttle to Two Medicine. I am seriously considering dropping the car at Lake McDonald, taking getting to West Glacier (hopefully jammer shuttle is active by then), Amtrak to East Glacier, then taxi to Two Medicine. That will minimize the part that is unreservable (taxi), but does rely on Amtrak (not ideal from what I understand). Thoughts appreciated.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

We hike out from GUN on the 9th, then start our Chalet reservation on the 10th. So we will stay somewhere on the east side on the night of the 9th, then shuttle to Logan from St Mary on the 10th. We will be able to validate our return ticket for the 12th on the morning of the 10th.

I would call the backcountry office and explain your situation. It’s possible they would make an exception to the 72 hour rule for backpackers. You can’t be the only one with this issue.

If there is no exception, I would contact Mountain Chief Cab Co: (406) 450-2921. She mostly operates on the east side and it would probably be costly but it could be your solution. You should probably talk to her soon as it sounds like she books up fast.

You could also contact Sun Tours for a quote on shuttling:

https://www.glaciersuntours.com/

Hope that helps.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Thanks for the advice - I updated the first post with that information.

I'll be making some calls. I think everything is a non-starter with the east side shuttles down, getting from St Mary to Two Medicine I doubt will be cheap (but probably much better than Kalispell to Two Medicine).

I somewhat surprised with the service suspensions as I'd expect GNP to be busier than ever this year, and with the shuttle and driving limitations that private tour/transport demand would be high. I wonder if it is staffing availability/cost or revenue concerns operating half capacity (if this is the requirement).

Yellowstone has a president where their private tour companies can set their own rules (some operating at full bus capacity with a vaccine requirement). Zion dropped the ticketed shuttle system entirely last month to business as usual. I'm hopeful GNP makes similar reasonable decisions, but time is running out.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

teapot57 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:21 pm I would call the backcountry office and explain your situation. It’s possible they would make an exception to the 72 hour rule for backpackers. You can’t be the only one with this issue.
I sent them an email and they confirmed they would accommodate providing a wrist band more than 72 hours in advance - very reasonable and appreciated. I had a couple more questions back to them regarded ticketed entry reservation exemption (pickup permit day prior, and 'exit' day). I'll post updates and ask them to add it to the website FAQs.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

DP
Last edited by zozeppelin on Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

It looks to me like Jackson Overlook Shuttle and The Loop stop is available based on the link https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/shuttlestops.htm
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

tibber wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:19 pm It looks to me like Jackson Overlook Shuttle and The Loop stop is available based on the link https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/shuttlestops.htm
Right you are (according to the text). I think this has changed for original, which is reflected in the image at the top of that page. Hopefully they add back Sunrift Gorge so people can do Siyeh.
Chip

Post by Chip »

The Chalet web site says:
The shuttle system may allow drop offs at out of service shuttle stops. Ask at the visitor center and speak to your driver about being dropped off at The Loop or Jackson Glacier. You can disembark there, but no shuttle will pick you up at these locations.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Updated from the other thread with the email from GNP stating both will be serviceable this year (the Loop and Jackson Glacier Overlook).

Also, Xanterra updated their shuttle website. It is a little confusing:
If you choose to be without a car, the Many Glacier Hiker’s Shuttle will help in your planning. This is not an interpretive tour or red bus. The shuttle will be first come, first served for 2021, with extremely limited seating. It is strongly recommended guests find other means of transportation, rather than rely on the shuttle.
Followed by the removal of "Shuttles are suspended for 2020 season." from the Many Glacier shuttle section and updating verbiage to "Shuttles are currently suspended." for the West side shuttle section.
Chip

Post by Chip »

The Chalet has updated the shuttle info. Looks like the loop is an option after all.

June 28, 2021 - Monday

Granite Park Chalet is open for the 2021 season
And we are excited for you to join us up here.

Heat Advisory:
This week expect very hot temperatures in Glacier National Park. The single most important thing on hot hiking days is water. Carry more than you think you need and drink before you get thirsty. The next most important thing is to get an early start to your hiking day. Use the cool morning air when you are exerting and rest during the hot afternoon. The good news is that temperatures at chalet elevations are about 10 degrees cooler than the weather report in West Glacier.

Highline Trail:
Is currently closed. When the Highline Trail will open is always unpredictable. The heat will help clear the snow quickly but don't jump the gun, this trail is very dangerous when posted as closed, you should use The Loop Trail instead.

We watch the NPS trail status reports to learn about the Highline. Current predicted opening is July 1, but that can always change. Check the status online or at a park information center before committing to this hike.

Shuttles:
Beginning operation on July 1, the Going To The Sun Road shuttle has updated their plan for the season and added The Loop back in as a regular stop this year. This will certainly make chalet visits and through hiking easier.

Chalet guests planning to use the shuttle need to plan ahead to get shuttle tickets. Remember to get tickets for everyone in your party, get tickets for both your arrival date and departure date, and get both arrival and departure tickets validated at a visitor center before going up the mountain.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Updated for Glacier Institute tour. I have an email in regarding pure shuttle options.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Double post, but updated the Xantera east side shuttle as well.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

More updates:

Mountain Chief Taxi Rates:
Requires $25 advanced booking fee (not included in rate)
East Glacier to Two Medicine $50
St Mary to Two Medicine $85

Glacier Park Lodge (Pursuit) appears to be operating their shuttle (despite their website saying otherwise). I only checked East Glacier to Two Medicine with their concierge desk, but times and rates were the same ($15 pp one way). Do not need to be a hotel guest.

Return to “Road Information and Transportation”