Transportation Within and Outside of the Park

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

juliaelan
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Transportation Within and Outside of the Park

Post by juliaelan »

Hello!

I am trying to go from Kintla Lake to Chief Mountain this fall (Mid-September) and am wondering if anyone knows of a way to get a ride from CME to KLE. It looks like I would either need to exchange keys with a hiker doing the same route, or know a local person to give me a ride (which I don't...yet). Grateful for any tips! Thank you.
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

It is always possible you might connect with someone for a key exchange or ride. If that doesn't work out your only real option is to rent 2 cars and have plenty of time to shuttle them around. That particular transportation issue is probably the hardest to deal with. More realistically you might want to consider changing your route to some sort of loop that finishes not too far from where you started. You could try to do that when you pick up your permit.
PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by PeteE »

I owe all of you a huge apology! :oops:

I have said at various times that taxi cabs go into some parts of the park.
I was wrong more often than not depending on when it was and the specific situation.
I had occasion today to talk to a guy who is associated with one of the largest taxi outfits in the valley.

Taxis are permitted go to Apgar, Lake McDonald Lodge, and as far as Avalanche Creek on the West Side.
And on East Side, taxis can go to Many Glacier/Swiftcurrent, Rising Sun, and Two Medicine.
(Not all taxi companies choose to offer service to any or all of those locations.
The guy I spoke with says they don't go to Polebridge. Rough road increases maintenance costs too much)

No taxis are allowed past Polebridge Ranger Station.

So again, I apologize for putting out bad information. :oops:

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Pete,

Thanks for checking out that information. I also thought for a long time that taxis were not allowed to operate in the Park. I wonder what type of entry fee is charged when a taxi takes someone into the Park.

Lyman

Return to “Road Information and Transportation”