Transportation Within and Outside of the Park

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

sgtlm19
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Transportation Within and Outside of the Park

Post by sgtlm19 »

Hello,

I am going to Glacier National Park for the first time this Memorial Day weekend, I was wondering if the weather around this time will warrant that I rent a 4x4 vehicle or if I could get by with an economy rental car. Thanks for the help, I am looking forward to my first time in Glacier National Park :D

Cheers,
Lorenz
wnysteve
Donator
Donator

Post by wnysteve »

sgtlm19 wrote:Hello,

I am going to Glacier National Park for the first time this Memorial Day weekend, I was wondering if the weather around this time will warrant that I rent a 4x4 vehicle or if I could get by with an economy rental car. Thanks for the help, I am looking forward to my first time in Glacier National Park :D

Cheers,
Lorenz
As a generalization, the roads which the NPS has opened by late May will be cleared. A "regular" front-wheel drive car would suffice. Roads which are not cleared and therefore would require 4WD for travel will be closed. Bottom line, no need for 4WD.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Steve is right. If we have a snow/freezing rain storm here, they'll close the road. NO 4WD needed.
So, given that, rent whatever you like.

Looks like the road is open to Bowman Lake now. Be careful driving out there,
The road from the gate to the lake has many 'blind" turns and short up/downs.
So be alert for oncoming traffic.
And if the weather is good, Bowman lake will be busy...as will most of the park.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
sgtlm19

Post by sgtlm19 »

PeteE wrote:Steve is right. If we have a snow/freezing rain storm here, they'll close the road. NO 4WD needed.
So, given that, rent whatever you like.

Looks like the road is open to Bowman Lake now. Be careful driving out there,
The road from the gate to the lake has many 'blind" turns and short up/downs.
So be alert for oncoming traffic.
And if the weather is good, Bowman lake will be busy...as will most of the park.

pete :wink:
Thanks Pete and Steve! This will help us save money on car rental : )
jrothsc1

Post by jrothsc1 »

joybird wrote:The bad news is that it appears they are no longer stopping at Cut Bank (though that stop was always less than ideal as I believe it entailed like a 5 mile roadwalk to get to the trailhead…).
For anyone that is interested, I just spoke with GPI on the phone, and they told me that they do have a shuttle to and from Cut Bank, even though it is not listed on the website.
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

Does anybody know of a shuttle or ride from FCA airport to Logan pass or st Mary Friday sept 23?
Sue Z
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Sue Z »

This shuttle company claims they can get you from FCA to Lake McDonald Lodge, but not all the way to Logan. I haven't used them, so no personal recommendation. http://www.glaciertransportation.com/
Sue Z
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

scott-atl wrote:Does anybody know of a shuttle or ride from FCA airport to Logan pass or st Mary Friday sept 23?
Hi Scott,

I don't know of a commercial service, but I may be free on that day and could pick you up and give you a ride. How many in your party?

Dave
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

It was still very crowded Saturday at Logan Pass.
These shots were at little after 5PM Saturday Aug 13.

West side shuttle stop. They can only take 10-12 people at a time.
After picking up in the pic above. Gonna be a long wait for some.

Squeeze and I still got the Number One "A" spot 8) 8) :arrow:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

Thanks Dave. Maybe PM or email to discuss the possibility. Scott
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

scott-atl wrote:Thanks Dave. Maybe PM or email to discuss the possibility. Scott
Scott, sent you a reply yesterday, but no worries, I got you guys covered.

Dave
sbosecker

Post by sbosecker »

One thing I noticed recently is that Xantera is operating some of Glacier's Lodges and Glacier Park Inc is operating the other lodges. This year Xantera appears to be operating a shuttle from the Many Glacier (one of its lodges) area to St Mary. I think this may be a new service as I don't recall this in the past.

http://www.glaciernationalparklodges.co ... /shuttles/

Glacier Park Inc operates the Glacier Park Lodge (East Glacier area), St Mary Lodge & Prince of Wales in Waterton, AB (as well as others). In the past they had operated the East Side Shuttle and I just now decided to give them a call to ask about this year's operation as their website is silent on a schedule.

http://www.glacierparkinc.com/plan-your ... formation/

Since this web page indicates that the East Coast Shuttle will be operating from Glacier Park Lodge to the Prince of Wales the following came as a surprise.

I spoke with Charlotte and she told me that while Glacier Park Inc. will operate a shuttle from Glacier Park Lodge to St Mary (stopping along the way at Two Medicine), they will NOT be going any farther north than St Mary. She indicated that she expected a schedule to be posted online next month sometime.
So the East Side Shuttle that I used to rely on to get from Chief Mountain to Many Glacier or St Mary is not, according to Charlotte of Glacier Park Inc., going to be operating.

I would guess this is due to some conflict with Xantera's operating a shuttle from Many Glacier.

This may also throw a wrench into the Tamerak Shuttle from Wateron to Chief Mountain that used to be scheduled to allow a transfer at Chief Mountain to the Glacier Park Inc East Side Shuttle. If there is no East Side Shuttle to transfer with, the Tamarak shuttle may be a more expensive on-demand model... if offered at all.

Best regards,
Last edited by sbosecker on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jen

Post by Jen »

I am fairly certain that when the schedule comes out we will find that a shuttle will be available from Glacier Park Lodge to St. Mary Resort. You will then be able to transfer to the Xanterra shuttle to get to Many Glacier or Chief Mountain Customs. Glacierparkinc. will also offer a round trip tour from Glacier Park Lodge to Prince of Wales. (No one way trips due to customs).
sbosecker

Post by sbosecker »

Jen wrote:I am fairly certain that when the schedule comes out we will find that a shuttle will be available from Glacier Park Lodge to St. Mary Resort. You will then be able to transfer to the Xanterra shuttle to get to Many Glacier or Chief Mountain Customs. Glacierparkinc. will also offer a round trip tour from Glacier Park Lodge to Prince of Wales. (No one way trips due to customs).

Jen,

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post but I tried to indicate that Charlotte (Glacier Park Inc.) did say that a shuttle WOULD be available from Glacier Park Lodge to St Mary ...but no farther north.

I hope you're right about a shuttle to Chief Mountain but, at the moment, Xantera isn't showing a Chief Mountain shuttle on the web link I posted.

Best regards,

Scott
Jen

Post by Jen »

sbosecker wrote:
Jen wrote:I am fairly certain that when the schedule comes out we will find that a shuttle will be available from Glacier Park Lodge to St. Mary Resort. You will then be able to transfer to the Xanterra shuttle to get to Many Glacier or Chief Mountain Customs. Glacierparkinc. will also offer a round trip tour from Glacier Park Lodge to Prince of Wales. (No one way trips due to customs).

Jen,

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post but I tried to indicate that Charlotte (Glacier Park Inc.) did say that a shuttle WOULD be available from Glacier Park Lodge to St Mary ...but no farther north.

I hope you're right about a shuttle to Chief Mountain but, at the moment, Xantera isn't showing a Chief Mountain shuttle on the web link I posted.

Best regards,

Scott
Well, that would definitely throw a stick in the spokes of our trip plans. :?

Return to “Road Information and Transportation”