Transportation from Chief Mountain to Kintla Lake

Transportation can be a challenge in Glacier. If you have ideas, offer ride shares, or used a commercial service that you were happy with, let everyone know. Also, ask questions about road information, or share road information you may have.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

jkomiskey
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Transportation from Chief Mountain to Kintla Lake

Post by jkomiskey »

PeteE wrote:
jkomiskey wrote:I called the Polebridge Ranger Station yesterday and left a message. I am still awaiting a returned phone call. I am more worried about getting there and not being able to put together an itinerary that coincides with some of the hotel lodging that we have booked. At this point the flights are booked, the rental car is booked, and the hotel is booked.
IMO...you'll be able to get an itinerary in the July1-4 time frame; it just may not be the one you listed.
Depending on what you hear before you get here, upon arrival I would go to the Apgar Backcountry Office and talk to the rangers there.
I'm reasonably confident you'll get as good a trip itinerary as the conditions at the time allow.

I'm driving over to Many Glacier late tonight/early Saturday AM.
I'll see what the Rangers at Swiftcurrent have to say about current conditions in that area.
And see if I can get a post out here Sunday afternoon.

In the mean time, keep trying to reach the Polebridge Station.
I feel that's your best bet at reliable information.

pete :wink:
Thank you so much. This forum has been incredibly helpful thus far. Once I speak with the Polebridge Ranger Station, I will post what I find out. Thanks again!
jkomiskey

Post by jkomiskey »

I've finally gotten in touch with the Polebridge ranger station. They told me they have gotten a significant amount of snow this year and it is not melting very quickly. Kintla to UPK is clear and should not be a problem. There are definitely difficulties along the way and they are also surprised the itinerary was issued. They told me that I will definitely need crampons and an ice axe. The itinerary is difficult but doable but they recommended that I called the Apgar back country permit office to discuss options. They told me that it might behoove me to change my itinerary to make things easier as far as transportation goes.

The Apgar back country permit office told me that HAW is still in winter status so I will need a bear bag and wag bag. Going to the sun road is closed so getting from chief mountain to Apgar will be almost impossible if it remains closed. They told me the itinerary was not issued in error and that they don't assume hiker's abilities. Based on their information this itinerary is very doable but difficult. They also suggested I work on changing my itinerary to something that would make transportation easier. They suggested getting to the Apgar office at 4:30am to discuss options when they open at 7:00.

I've been looking forward to going to glacier for a few years but it seems more difficult to plan than other adventures I've undertaken. I may end up attempting to change the itinerary to an out and back to make transportation easier. I hope it ends up as rewarding as I've built it up in my mind. Thanks again for all of your help.
NDjason
Donator
Donator

Post by NDjason »

For what it's worth, there is a tentative date of July 17th (according to the Backcountry office) for the trail between BOU and HAW.

https://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/ ... s.cfm?t=GH

I definitely think it has the potential to be a dangerous route if it's not melted out. But we may be surprised in the next two weeks. But if you show up at the permit office early, you're going to be able to put something together that will give you a great trip.

Good luck!
~ jason
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

jkomiskey wrote: Going to the sun road is closed so getting from chief mountain to Apgar will be almost impossible if it remains closed.
There are other ways to get from Chief Mountain Customs to Apgar besides the Sun Road. You can drive to Browning to East Glacier and use Rt2 to the West Glacier. These are good fast roads. In fact, I think it is quite a bit faster using these roads than the Sun road these days
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
jkomiskey

Post by jkomiskey »

paul wrote:
jkomiskey wrote: Going to the sun road is closed so getting from chief mountain to Apgar will be almost impossible if it remains closed.
There are other ways to get from Chief Mountain Customs to Apgar besides the Sun Road. You can drive to Browning to East Glacier and use Rt2 to the West Glacier. These are good fast roads. In fact, I think it is quite a bit faster using these roads than the Sun road these days
Using public transit? I had initially planned to leave the car at the Apgar Transit Center, take a cab to Polebridge, and hitch hike to Kintla lake. I would then take a cab from chief mountain to St Mary's (?) and then catch public transit to Apgar Transit Center. This might be the hard way but this was suggested to me by my original call to Polebridge.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

I think you have a difficult task ahead of you as others have said getting from Chief Mountain back to Kintla. I can't think of a more challenging transportation issue in Glacier. If no other solution comes up, I would suggest considering renting two cars so you have reliable transportation at each end of your hike.

Hope your plans work out well and I hope you will post a report after your visit.

Lyman
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

jkomiskey wrote:
paul wrote:
Using public transit? I had initially planned to leave the car at the Apgar Transit Center, take a cab to Polebridge, and hitch hike to Kintla lake. I would then take a cab from chief mountain to St Mary's (?) and then catch public transit to Apgar Transit Center. This might be the hard way but this was suggested to me by my original call to Polebridge.
I guess if you were planning to use the shuttle then no there is no other way than the Sun Road.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
jkomiskey

Post by jkomiskey »

llholmes1948 wrote:I think you have a difficult task ahead of you as others have said getting from Chief Mountain back to Kintla. I can't think of a more challenging transportation issue in Glacier. If no other solution comes up, I would suggest considering renting two cars so you have reliable transportation at each end of your hike.

Hope your plans work out well and I hope you will post a report after your visit.

Lyman
I have appreciated all of the assistance and advice I have received since I have joined. I will absolutely post on this forum post trip.
NDjason
Donator
Donator

Post by NDjason »

I'm interested to hear how this went!

From the trail status reports, it looks like the area between BOU and the HOL junction were still pretty bad. I don't think I would have tried it! We're you able to get through? Or able to make a change to your itinerary? I saw your other post - were you able to switch things around a bit and spend some time in the Belly River area?
~ jason
jkomiskey

Post by jkomiskey »

NDjason wrote:I'm interested to hear how this went!

From the trail status reports, it looks like the area between BOU and the HOL junction were still pretty bad. I don't think I would have tried it! We're you able to get through? Or able to make a change to your itinerary? I saw your other post - were you able to switch things around a bit and spend some time in the Belly River area?
I am finally back to "real life" so I am able to comment again. So I did end up changing my itinerary at the Apgar Backcountry Permit Office as they sternly warned us about conditions on our original route. There were several exposures that required crampons and ice axes, which we had. They were really concerned with us falling and becoming seriously injured. Our itinerary ended up being 1 day at Elizabeth Lake Foot, 2 days at Mokawannis lake, and 1 day at Gable Creek. As we had a base camp at Mokawannis Lake we were able to day hike to Margaret Lake (Thanks Pete!) and we saw Ipasha though we did not hike to the edge. When we stayed at Gable Creek we tried to do the bear mountain overlook but we thought we got off trail somehow as it seemed we hiked further than the 1.7 miles indicated so we headed back down only to find out we missed it by .1 miles. Glacier was awesome and we are already planning a trip back. Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions! I hope I am able to repay the favor one day
Sue Z
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Sue Z »

What a nice itinerary you ended up with! Happy for you.
Sue Z

Return to “Road Information and Transportation”