Question on Park Service Trail Conditions

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

jzw4
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Question on Park Service Trail Conditions

Post by jzw4 »

I will be visiting GNP from July 6 - July 13 and am looking forward to doing several challenging day hikes in the park! I would love to do the Grinnell Glacier Overlook. I just checked trail conditions on the park site and noticed that on the Highline, for the Grinnell Glacier Overlook it says "Initial Clearing scheduled: Projected clearing 7/25/17 per 250 ". Does this mean the Overlook is not accessible until the 25th? I will have crampons with me in case needed. For several of the other hikes I have planned (Daw-Pit, Highline,etc.), the projected clearing is after July 13. Hopefully you can still do the trail prior to the projected clearing?

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Wen
Gender?: Female

Re: Question on Park Service Trail Conditions

Post by Wen »

We will be there July 5 for a week. I saw two pages for closures.

https://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/ ... osures.cfm
only a couple trails are closed

https://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/ ... s.cfm?t=TM
more details for each area

I read there is no cell coverage in the park, correct ? I guess I won't be able to check trail closure online. Is there a posting at each campground ? Where would that be ?

Thanks for anyone who can provide some info.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male

Re: Question on Park Service Trail Conditions

Post by Ear Mountain »

Ranger stations will have updated trail conditions. Cell service is available on the east side around Saint Mary and East Glacier. On the west side at Apgar and points further west.

Initial clearing is just that , the date that a trail crew is scheduled to clear the trail if needed. It is not necessarily the first date that a trail can safely be negotiated. For steep snow crampons AND and ice axe AND the knowledge and experience of using these tools is essential for everyone in your group.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.

Return to “Hiking”