East Glacier to Many Glacier shuttle?

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

spinnaker
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

East Glacier to Many Glacier shuttle?

Post by spinnaker »

The information on the park's website regarding shuttles is awfully confusing. From what I am understanding, if you want to go between East Glacier and Many Glacier, you need to transfer at St. Mary. What I am trying to figure out is what time you arrive in St. Mary if you take the very first shuttle from East Glacier and vice versa. Or in other words how long do you need to wait after getting off one shuttle and on to the other?

Also the Many Glacier shuttle says it is first come first serve?
distressbark
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: East Glacier to Many Glacier shuttle?

Post by distressbark »

- Yes, if traveling from East Glacier to Many Glacier you would need to transfer in St. Mary.
- It looks like daily departures from East Glacier are now at 8:45 AM and 12:45 PM. There are no stops (to the best of my knowledge), so that drive will likely take the shuttle driver an hour and change. I would estimate you'll arrive in St. Mary at 10 AM and 2 PM, respectively.
- Departure times from St. Mary heading north to Many Glacier are as follows: 9:15 AM, 11:15 AM, 4:45 PM, & 7:15 PM. Looks like you'd have to wait a minimum of one hour to catch the shuttle north. The St. Mary Visitor Center has lots of great exhibits, including a relatively new exhibit on the history of native peoples in the area. You could definitely spend an hour there, or if there's more time to kill, you can stroll along the St. Mary River or walk into St. Mary for food/drinks/gifts.
- I believe the St. Mary to Many Glacier shuttle remains first-come, first-served. In my experience, the shuttle is often very busy coming from Many down to St. Mary (for hikers looking to get up to Logan Pass on the NPS shuttle bus). I'd hope that you wouldn't have any trouble catching a ride in the opposite direction to Many.

Hope this helps! I used to work at Many (as recently as 2013) but the shuttling has changed quite a bit since Xanterra has taken over. I'd call to verify all this information. Good luck!
- anders

"And what do the birds say? All there is to say about a massacre, things like Poo-tee-weet?"
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”