Camp site closed

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Kris91
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Camp site closed

Post by Kris91 »

I noticed yesterday that one of the sites on our backpacking trip is closed right now. We're supposed to head out there in about a week and we start at many glacier. Our trip is-
Many glacier-ELH
ELH-MOJ
MOJ- WAT
WAT-FRA
FRA-BRO
BRO-out bowman lake

We were going to try to alter our permit the day before anyways, but just saw yesterday that WAT is closed (I think bear activity). I'm not sure if it might re-open? All of our logistics plan on us coming out bowman lake- we were going to leave a car there and that would be our only car. We were hoping to switch that site to KOO or even STO to break up that day. We can't hike farther than WAT so assume we might have to completely alter our hike. My concern is that we won't know what our hike will be and we will have already dropped our car off the day before.

Anyways, appreciate any thoughts or past experience on this sort of thing.

Kris
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Camp site closed

Post by orin »

About the best you can do is monitor the "What's available tonight" page on the website. That way you will know if KOO or STO will have walk in space before you head to the permit office the day before. You probably need to get there early in the morning both to get any open spaces as well as to know your route before car dropoff.

But WAT could reopen at any time. Close to your departure date call the back country office and talk to them. And work on plan B just in case.
Kris91
Gender?: Female

Post by Kris91 »

That's the tricky part. Our hike starts on wed and we were going to drop the car off on monday- just to give us time to shuttle around to the other side. I'll keep watching and maybe call the office this week just to see what they have to say. We were also thinking we could stop at the office on monday before we drop the car off just to get a better idea of what our options are.

Thanks!
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor
Gender?: Male

Post by zozeppelin »

The sign at WAT says stay at goat haunt (even though it’s closed). KOO is really close as an alternate.

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”