Blackfeet Reservation Restrictions

Have something of a political nature specifically pertaining to Glacier Park? Talk about it here. Please note, we would prefer posts that actually concern Glacier and the near surrounding area, but have flexibility to allow topics that concern the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. Also, understand, posts are allowed to stand based on the moderation teams discretion and may be closed or deleted without warning. Thanks for your understanding.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Blackfeet Reservation Restrictions

Post by PeteE »

orin wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:16 pm Pete, please stick around. I get a lot of enjoyment from your pictures especially even though I don't comment all that often.

Orin
Thanks Orin. I didn't mean to ignore your reply.
If you decide to trade the insane craziness of Seattle 8) for that of Glacier this year, give me a shout.
Maybe we can do something.
Until then, take care!

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

FYI
As I was driving over to GNP yesterday morning, Sunday March 14th, there was a local radio report saying there is now vaccine(two versions) available to the Blackfeet nation. There are two locations on the reservation where the vaccine is available.
So the question becomes: Will they all get promptly vaccinated? And if not, why not?
Just sayin...

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Those are the Moderna (new mRNA technology, 2 shot, highly effective at95%) and Johnson and Johnson (1 shot)

I think the vaccine acceptance questions apply to everyone (for instance Glacier Co is vaccinating at a 2.5X rate of Flathead Co). So 'so far so good' in my opinion.

There certainly is a brutal history of disease for the Native Americans that may likely be driving conservatism to the approach to the virus, as well as reluctance to a vaccine. Not to mention the anti-vax and hoax echo chamber. Early data shows inoculation rate is going better than most, which is a function of availability and acceptance. It would appear availability is good because everyone 18+ has access to the vaccine (where most states are still in 65+ / frontline worker phase).

Only 2 active cases (there were 0 for a period last week) and they just opened non-essential businesses (with safety protocols) with their latest amendment (transitioning to Phase 3).

As an aside, the stats are a little confusing, especially with the 1 dose vs 2 dose versions:
Total Doses Administered:6107
Dose #1 Administered: 4087
Fully Immunized: 2026
Doses per 1000: 618.4
Eligible Population to be Vaccinated: 9876

They'll report 61%, but I think it should be 41%, as a portion of that 61% is just the second shot, so it's not like that is an extra person (when they are normalizing by 1000 people).
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by teapot57 »

So the question becomes: Will they all get promptly vaccinated? And if not, why not?
As reported in another thread, 95% of the tribe’s eligible population has been vaccinated. (See https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story ... xmmoZPdHRE)

Meanwhile, as of today in Canada, a total of 4,381,110 doses of COVID-19 vaccines (including Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech and AstraZeneca) have been delivered to the provinces for administration. Also as of today, 76.9% of doses delivered to the provinces have been administered. https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html

Meanwhile, the US has administered over 100 million doses. It will be awhile before Canada is ready to open its borders.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Updated stats:

Total Doses Administered: 8,792
Dose #1 Administered: 5,153
Fully Immunized: 3,924
Doses per 1,000 people: 890.2
Eligible Population to be Vaccinated: 9,876

Averaging between 0 and 1 actives cases the entire month.

Keep up the great work!

Navajo nation just went back into lockdown.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Pretty cool, 95% fully immunized, so extra vaccines are going to Blackfoot people in Canada.

https://dailyinterlake.com/news/2021/ma ... ss-border/
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

As stated in the article, they vaccinated not just the Indigenous, but any Canadian that showed up while they still had vaccine left to give. I know people that left Calgary in the wee hours of the morning and waited in line at the border for 12 hours, but were unfortunately turned away when the doses ran out.

We are in a bad state here in Alberta. We currently have the highest rate of Covid per capita out of all the US states and Canadian provinces. As of today, only 36% of all Canadians have received a first dose of vaccine, and the government is delaying second doses up to 4 months (yes, we are guinea pigs) to allow more people to be vaccinated with a first dose, so only about 3% of Canadians are fully vaccinated.

The generousity of the Blackfeet is greatly appreciated.
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Post by Sue Z »

teapot57 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:39 pm As stated in the article, they vaccinated not just the Indigenous, but any Canadian that showed up while they still had vaccine left to give. I know people that left Calgary in the wee hours of the morning and waited in line at the border for 12 hours, but were unfortunately turned away when the doses ran out.

We are in a bad state here in Alberta. We currently have the highest rate of Covid per capita out of all the US states and Canadian provinces. As of today, only 36% of all Canadians have received a first dose of vaccine, and the government is delaying second doses up to 4 months (yes, we are guinea pigs) to allow more people to be vaccinated with a first dose, so only about 3% of Canadians are fully vaccinated.

Yikes! I wasn't aware of the vaccine shortage in Canada. So sorry you're experiencing that. I did read that Biden was going to share with Canada and Mexico. Wishing you all the best.
Sue Z
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

teapot57 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:39 pm As stated in the article, they vaccinated not just the Indigenous, but any Canadian that showed up while they still had vaccine left to give. I know people that left Calgary in the wee hours of the morning and waited in line at the border for 12 hours, but were unfortunately turned away when the doses ran out.

I can't believe the Canadian government is doing that.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Yikes! I wasn't aware of the vaccine shortage in Canada. So sorry you're experiencing that. I did read that Biden was going to share with Canada and Mexico. Wishing you all the best
Thanks, Sue. We did get 1.5 million Astra Zeneca doses from the US which gave us a boost, and our shipments from Pfizer and Moderna ramped up this past week. Hopefully in a month or so we will be in much better shape.
I can't believe the Canadian government is doing that.
Yep, crazy eh?!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canada-c ... -1.5939134
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

MN vaccine rate have dropped significantly. Before all this started, I guessed 60-65% will get vaccinated and then it will be tough to get above 70%. Based on vaccination rates, the US will be done soon with the people who are willing. That might be good for Canada. I was on flights a few weeks ago, and the flights and Charlotte airport were packed. Barn doors are open.

As for the one dose instead of two, it IS an experiment. It should work, and the vaccines have worked as expected (with some over publicized exceptions), but Pfizer and Medera never validated just one shot or delaying shots.

It’s hard to believe Canada and Europe weren’t at the front of the line with the US and Britain.

Hay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.

Return to “Politics Surrounding Glacier”