2020 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: 2020 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Post by tibber »

PeteE wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:27 pm Thanks Matt and David :)
Nothing obvious found during my upper and lower GI procedure.
Biopsy results in a week. Thanks all for concern and support!!
pete :wink:
👏 good to hear. Keeping fingers crossed for continued good results!
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by MarxMN »

I hope the biopsy results are good too.

Thanks for the pictures. I like the St. Mary Lake sunrise. The earlier St. Mary Lake (Wild Goose Island) sunset is neat too.

Bill
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

MarxMN wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:11 pm I hope the biopsy results are good too.

Thanks for the pictures. I like the St. Mary Lake sunrise. The earlier St. Mary Lake (Wild Goose Island) sunset is neat too.

Bill
tibber wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:34 pm
PeteE wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:27 pm Thanks Matt and David :)
Nothing obvious found during my upper and lower GI procedure.
Biopsy results in a week. Thanks all for concern and support!!
👏 good to hear. Keeping fingers crossed for continued good results!
Thanks Angela and Bill! Always a pleasure to hear what you have to say.
I do appreciate it
Pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Those of you who are members may want to check the NON GLACIER thread.
I have an important announcement there.
I may( or anyone) copy it to hear since I know there are lurkers who follow me here.

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Moving back to Florida sometime between March 15 and May 15 2022.

I know this will come as a shock to most, probably all of you.
No one reason. I'm simply not happy living here anymore.
Some reasons in no particular order are:

Attending my bother-in-law's funeral back in July made me realize just how important "family" is.
I have very little family left--My sister Vickie, her two children and their families, a cousin in Virginia, another in Sarasota are about it.
The last few years I have realized that I just don't have the physical ability to do many of the things I want to do. I'm still fairly healthy but...
I do NOT want to become a "long distance" burden on my family in Florida should I become disabled, sick, etc. and unable to care for myself.

And then there are what I would call "life style" issues living here in the Flathead Valley where my principle recreation revolves around Glacier National Park.
This area has experienced incredible growth over the last 4-5 years. A huge, for here, apartment complex(350 unit, 500+ residents!) was just completed last month across the road from my bedroom window. The increase in noise and traffic is pretty annoying. It's the same all over the valley.

A biggie for me relates to Glacier National Park. GNP is just no longer fun to go to.
The crowds, the more frequent fires and smoke, the restricted entry(ticket system) make going to the park a pain in the ass.
In the past, I really looked forward to a "day in the park". I could just hop in my truck and go without a hassle.
Now, as I said above, going to the park is just a giant pain in the ass and I don't see that changing.

Some say I could go to places like the Bob Marshall complex or other beautiful locations in the area.
True, but that's not why I moved here.
The price of gasoline($3.40-3.50/gal) makes travel to the park very expensive for me these days--never mind more distant places.
Driving directly to Logan Pass and back, about 130 miles costs me $30.00 just in fuel costs--never mind cost of maintenance over time.
Many Glacier would be about double that! I just cant do that.
Those who believe that gasoline prices will go back down are dreaming. Not going to happen in the short/medium term--if ever.

Winters have been a disappointment in terms of recreation. Climate change? The reason doesn't matter.
Why put up with grim winters if I can't enjoy them snowshoeing, xcountry skiing, etc.?

Life around here just isn't fun anymore.

Soooo.....what am I going to do after moving to Florida?

My sister said I could live with her. Her house is a large 4 bedroom house, master and 3 others. Each bedroom has a full bathroom.
So room for me with 2 other bedrooms for visiting family, etc.
I'll be able to continue with my photography. While Florida's environment and climate is radically different from Montana, photo opportunities are huge. No big vistas, but I want to do more photography in the mixed forests, swamp lands, seacoasts, etc. Lots of wildlife, especially birds are another subject to photograph. I'll enjoy getting back to one of my childhood passions of finding and photographing animals like alligators and snakes. :) So plenty to do in Florida. Just different stuff from here. And I can do it all year. Winters are nothing compared to Montana.
Hence, the name of the town where I grew up--Winter Haven. :)

The incredible generosity of my sister Vickie( a "saint" imo 8) ) letting me stay in what she now calls "the family home" will allow me to do trips like travel to Europe this summer. !!! :arrow:
I bought a round trip ticket to London yesterday. I will fly to London in early June for a 6 week "wander" or maybe longer as the Brits say. :)
And as typical of my style of travel, I will go with pretty much no plan after I get there. I did the same thing in 1997 after my divorce.
I will be traveling by train for the most part. After visiting with some YouTube "friends", photographers and bush crafter types, The rough plan is to take a train to see places I haven't seen before to include, but not limited to: Switzerland, southern Germany, specifically Bavaria, the Balkans along the Adriatic, Romania Ukraine. At some point work my way back to London for flite back to Orlando. Once off the train in a location, use bus service or local trams, trains, etc to see specific places.
I've done a lot of research on travel and accommodation costs. It'll be easily affordable since I don't mind going "cheap". :)

So there ya go!

George Carlin
res
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by res »

Sorry to hear you’re leaving Montana. I appreciate all the time ( and $$$$) you have spent educating and entertaining us. I also understand that at our age we need to be around family if possible.

The first thing I see when I come into my house is the photo I got from you. Wonderful!!
Hope we get to hear from you occasionally. Happy trails.
Bob
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

res wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:41 pm Sorry to hear you’re leaving Montana. I appreciate all the time ( and $$$$) you have spent educating and entertaining us. I also understand that at our age we need to be around family if possible.

The first thing I see when I come into my house is the photo I got from you. Wonderful!!
Hope we get to hear from you occasionally. Happy trails.
Bob

Bob it was a pleasure making that print for you since I know that view from Granite Park Chalet had personal meaning for you.
And yup, you'll hear from me while I'm here and it Florida too.

I see no reason that I can't continue to post photos and video here in the NON-GLACIER PHOTOGRAPHY section.
Hey Jay, Tina, Frances, Paul:

I'm going to post this reply in Photography as well. Some friends cannot get into the chat now.

Thank you guys and everyone for your all the kind replies, understanding, and support.
It is very humbling. It's hard to find words to express how nice everyone here has been over the years.
That is especially true because, at times, I know I was a real a-hole. 8)

No results from biopsy, and after some extensive on-line research, **I** have concluded that somehow I have developed "IBS" :twisted: :twisted:
But we'll see what the medicine men say.
Never in all my life have I had gastro-intestinal problems until a couple months ago.
So I'm going to get a consult with the VA dietician( a nice gal) and get a new diet plan going.
I know that I'll have to give up some of my favorite foods that are "triggers" like sausage and other fatty/spicy stuff.
But I'll live. 8)

I have a new camera coming to replace the one I lost due to my stupidity at the Minn/St Paul airport.
Upgrading to a Sony a6600 :) It is the top of Sony's APS-C cameras.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... gital.html
Check it out. It's a VERY capable camera.
I believe this model will serve me well for all my needs while I'm here and in Florida---for a long time.
The a6600 will be great for my trip to Europe too. FAR better camera for travel.
I'm keeping my a77m2. I love that camera for it's rear LCD display which is unique in that it can be tilted and rotated.
Super Great for low and awkward camera positions .

I already have Sony's LA-EA5 lens adapter.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... s=pi&pim=Y
So I can use my two best A-mount lenses an f2.8 16-55, 16-105, and f1.8 35mm prime...all of which are very good lenses lens.
I've used the adapter and it works great.(no glass in it) The A-mount lenses will work with full functionality.
I am trading everything else, including old Minolta Rokkar lenses, I have to offset the $1069 cost of the a6600 body.
KEH beat B&H's price by $200.00.
(If someone wants my old Minolta Rokkar lenses 35mm f2.8, 58mm f1.4, 135mm f 2.8, 58mm f1.2 let me know)

The a6600 will be here tomorrow.
This weekend will be the last weekend I can get to Logan Pass.
Snow coming Sunday night and will almost surely close the road for the season.
So I should have some good pics and video for you sometime next week. :arrow:

I'm pretty excited about my trip. I'm hoping to meet some of the photographers in England that I follow on YouTube.
I plan on doing this trip out a backpack. I'm sure I can fit all my clothing and gear in a backpack that will go as a carry on.
If anyone has suggestions on such a pack(many exist) please let me know.
I'm not the first person to live 6 weeks out of a backpack. :) I'm 100% certain I can do it. I live a simple life. 8)
And I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience traveling by train, bus, and hitchhiking.

Thanks again.

George Carlin
Carol Lynn

Post by Carol Lynn »

Pete,

You'll need to start saving for a long lens to photograph Florida's birds. I can't wait to see those photos!

Carol
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Test to see if this works. I couldn't post from home last night or this am. On phone now. I have news about my trip in 2022 and reply to Carol about camera lenses. Will try from home shortly. Anyone else having posting issues

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Good news for a change.
1. I am going to modify my trip plans to Europe. Plan now is to fly to Ukraine where I have made friends with a Ukrainian family.
Then travel around Ukraine and maybe bordering countries .

2. I am 99% certain that BONNIE & CLYDE ARE BOTH BACK!! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

I have video and pics. I'll explain why I'm virtually certain it's them :)
So Yeeeehawww! :D :D

George Carlin
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Post by TnTammy »

B & C ?!!!!!!
This is Wonderful News Pete....I'm looking forward to seeing them and hearing of your evolving plans. :D

Also, thank you for sharing about your upcoming move in the spring. Glad to know that you will be with Vickie and other family in your old stomping grounds. It should be very good to have the time with them and the support. Actually i was thinking about the Raven friend you mentioned you had growing up and wondering if you might cultivate some new buddies in FLA. :wink:

Pete, your contributions here have enriched our Glacier experience tremendously, especially our hikes together.
Mike and I are wishing you All the Best in your next Chapter.
Tam
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

TnTammy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:30 am B & C ?!!!!!!
This is Wonderful News Pete....I'm looking forward to seeing them and hearing of your evolving plans. :D

Also, thank you for sharing about your upcoming move in the spring. Glad to know that you will be with Vickie and other family in your old stomping grounds. It should be very good to have the time with them and the support. Actually i was thinking about the Raven friend you mentioned you had growing up and wondering if you might cultivate some new buddies in FLA. :wink:

Pete, your contributions here have enriched our Glacier experience tremendously, especially our hikes together.
Mike and I are wishing you All the Best in your next Chapter.
Tam
Thanks Tammy!!
You are always so nice
Yup Yup!! Back to the oak hammocks, piney woods and swamps for me! :arrow:
Here's some unedited video from yesterday. I'm utterly convinced it's B&C.

all are video links unedited
https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/Fall-2021/n-hhb54t/

NO WAY that two "random wild ravens" would behave this way.

I was so stressed out because I had no treat for them/ And yet Clyde sat patiently on the tailgate for almost 15 minutes. I didn't see Bonnie while he sat there but she was clearly nearby.

The clincher was when I left. They flew in front of me and followed me all the way to the 1st parking area on the lake---just like the old days/
NO WAY some random strange ravens would do that.
They are just sooooooooooooooo cool. Clearly they have incredible memories. I checked. Last time I saw Clyde was June 2020. :shock:
I saw Bonnie later in 2020 but she was VERY nervous and fidgety...and had a strange raven following her everywhere.

I bought 5-6 lbs. of beef heart. It's like filet mignon for them and very nutritious protein. Tough stuff for humans, but they can slice it like a knife through hot butter with that heavy "hooked" razor sharp bill.
Light snow at the moment at the airport, no accumulation though. 16F this AM.

I'll try to get out there tomorrow.
later!

Later in the week I should have some images posted in the Glacier.org photo contest.
I may have some that are good enough. One can enter as many as they want.

(You'll hear me refer to Seryozha and Tanya briefly at the end of the clip where I'm leaving the parking lot. They are the Ukrainian couple I plan to visit during my 5 weeks in Ukraine and eastern Europe. Yeah, Tanya is very attractive. Her legs and thighs aren't "fat" but muscular. She is also a very good Mom to Artyom as is Seryozha is a Dad.
They don't drink or smoke. Tanya has one tiny tattoo on her butt. She has no piercings and wears very little makeup, just eyelashes since is blonde(ish) Both are incredibly fit. Seryozha can do a standing backflip :) Tanya is a great cook and Seryozha has good technical/engineering skills.
They are just a good fun couple with wonderful family values. I could go on and on but won't :)
They are "resting with tents" as they say here in this clip. I plan on going camping with them too as I'm taking my tarptent , sleeping bag and a few basic light weight items with me in my checked baggage .

How's your Russian? 8)
)
They eat like "truck drivers" :) Those drumsticks likely came from the farm where "the grandmothers" live.
I asked Tanya how she keeps her figure--that flat stomach. She just smiled and said, "we move a lot".
She does do a lot of leg lifts and exercises with "rubber bands" as she calls them, 8)
Last edited by PeteE on Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Carlin
calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

Glad your travel plans have changed to Ukraine where you have some friends. And so glad to hear Bonnie and Clyde are alive and well! Great news! Looking forward to hearing more. :D
The mountains are calling and I must go.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Bump. The raven link is there now.

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Well Tammy and Michele, I guess y'all are the only ones excited about seeing B&C are back.
Depending on when I get some parts in that need to be installed in machines at work...
I'll be going out to the park with beef hearts in hand :arrow:
If I get away early enough, I'll also go out to Avalanche for photos.
This is my favorite time to take pics of the creek in the gorge.
The water is way down exposing the colorful rocks.

Some from last year
https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/Avala ... r-23-2020/

George Carlin

Return to “Photography”