Waterton Shoreline Cruise Company

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

sbosecker
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Waterton Shoreline Cruise Company

Post by sbosecker »

A couple of days ago I sent the following email to the Waterton Shoreline Cruise Company:

Good evening!

It is my understanding that Goat Haunt will be open again this year.

With that in mind I am planning a backpack in Glacier National Park that would start at Chief Mountain and end at Goat Haunt.

Will you folks be running the International from Waterton to Goat Haunt this year? If so may I ask what the season will be and the schedule for that trip.

In the past I have exited at Goat Haunt, taken the International to Waterton and then used the Tamarak shuttle back to Chief Mountain.

It will be nice if everything is back to normal this year!

This evening I received the following very comprehensive response:

Hi Scott,

Glacier National Park has recently announced that the Goat Haunt Ranger Station will be reopening in 2023. Waterton Inter-Nation Shoreline Cruise Company Ltd. will be authorized to land our vessels at Goat Haunt as previously done back in 2018. Our company will be landing our vessels at Goat Haunt beginning June 10th, 2023. We are in the process of finalizing our 2023 schedule due to the uncertainty of this recent announcement, we are hoping to have our updated schedule on our website soon.

We are therefore offering two different types of cruises this season:

Cruise Option # 1 - Traditional Scenic Cruise

1 hour and 15 minute non-landing cruise to the border. (The cruise that we have offered the past number of seasons.) The cruise travels to the International border where guests can see a cutline running up the sides of the mountains indicating the 49th parallel. The cruise stays close to the shoreline which increases the chances of seeing wildlife, scenic stops are plenty and an entertaining interpretive commentary is also provided by local guides. We only cruise to the International border and the trip is non-landing. No passports are required.

Cruise Option # 2 - Historic Cruise to Goat Haunt

2 hour and 15 minute cruise landing at the Goat Haunt Ranger Station. (This was the previous historical cruise last offered in 2018 prior to the closure of the Goat Haunt Ranger Station.) This cruise option would also include a 30 minute stop at the Goat Haunt Interpretive Centre on the U.S side of the lake, allowing guests to stretch their legs and explore this tranquil backcountry ranger station. As in the past no passports are required unless passengers plan to stay longer than the 30 minute stop and intend to hike at or from the Goat Haunt Ranger Station. If planning to hike, passengers would require a passport and would have to clear U.S Customs. This also allows for our company to pick-up day hikers at a later departure time as well as backpackers and/or hikers that require a one-way ticket back to the Waterton town-site should they desire transport.

Unfortunately we do not take advance reservations, except for group bookings of 20 or more people. All sales are done in person, not over the phone or online. Ticket sales are done in person at our ticket office, located at the Waterton Marina.

You can typically purchase your tickets the day of. We recommend coming 30-60 minutes before your desired cruise departure to purchase your tickets to avoid disappointment if that cruise were to sell out. With the exception of long weekends, where I would recommend you purchase your tickets a few hours ahead. If you plan to be in Waterton for a few days, you can also purchase your tickets up to 3 days ahead of time in person. If you are hiking into Goat Haunt, as long as there is room on board the vessel, we can sell you a one-way ticket at Goat Haunt back to the Waterton townsite, as we have done in previous years.

I would recommend contacting the folks at Tamarack Outfitters in Waterton to make sure things will be done like as in the past few years before the closures: https://www.hikewaterton.com/hikershuttles

As you know they previously would offer hiker shuttles to the Chief Mountain border when it was open, and can help connect you with operators on the U.S side to get you back to Many Glacier.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Sounds like things are returning to normal!

Scott
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Waterton Shoreline Cruise Company

Post by Ear Mountain »

Thanks Scott for providing this information.
Ralph
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
sbosecker
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Waterton Shoreline Cruise Company

Post by sbosecker »

Actual schedule and some pricing has been posted for 2023.

https://www.watertoncruise.com/2023.php

I'm confident these prices are in Canadian Dollars. As I write this, $1 USA is worth $1.34 Canadian.

Scott

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”