Glacier Park Proposes Swiftcurrent Closure During Multi-year Improvement Project

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Glacier Park Proposes Swiftcurrent Closure During Multi-year Improvement Project

Post by Ear Mountain »

The projects main impact would be in the summer of 2025. Link is to an article in the Flathead Beacon.

Swiftcurrent Infrastructure Project
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Glacier Park Proposes Swiftcurrent Closure During Multi-year Improvement Project

Post by Selkie »

Thanks, Ear Mountain. Good to know this well in advance. The construction will take out of service some of Glacier's limited lodging and camping options.
I imagine trail access through Swiftcurrent Valley might also be limited during the time frame stipulated, but possibly not, if a pedestrian thorofare is provided through the construction field.

Edit: From the Story Map on the site linked in the linked article:
Public use of the trail system would remain available.
VGplay

Re: Glacier Park Proposes Swiftcurrent Closure During Multi-year Improvement Project

Post by VGplay »

Not sure I agree with the park's conclusion that a one year disaster is preferable to smaller inconveniences spread over a few years, those are very significant closures they're proposing. But I don't expect any changes since it seems to be a done deal once a National Park project reaches the point that they're seeking public input.

If the park does this they better setup a temporary parking area and offer ample shuttles into Many Glacier, not sure how this works otherwise. The connector trail from Many Glacier Hotel to the Swiftcurrent area is probably going to get totally trashed. I assume this also means the MAN backcountry site will be closed. That would make a lot of common itineraries unavailable for the year. And hopefully the project finishes on schedule, it would be awful if these closures bled into 2026.
davidwayne

Post by davidwayne »

Well... I guess one advantage is that it cuts down on the crowds.

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”