GNP 2023 - TSE to TNE (the long way)

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: GNP 2023 - TSE to TNE (the long way)

Post by teapot57 »

Nice report so far! We had a Walton to Two Med permit in 2022, but the Cobalt Lake trail was closed for bears so we went with Plan B. It’s back on the wishlist for 2024, so I’m very interested in hearing more about the general area.

I must be a ranger magnet because I bump in to them quite often. Twice that I can remember in the Two Med backcountry area.
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

The last time I camped at Isabel was a year or two after the fire. The trail up to the lake was hemmed in by 4 or 5 foot tall fireweed in full bloom. By the time I reached the lake I was covered in pollen from head to toe. We had hiked from Upper Park Creek that day and had plenty of time to explore the upper lake. We hung out on rock slabs and looked up at the divide. The climb up to the Coal Creek overlook looked pretty doable but we didn’t try it. It might be possible to backpack over the divide and down to Coal Creek lopping off a couple of days of your route. The topo map suggests the slope on the other side is moderate but of course you never know until you try it.
Ipasha Jen

Post by Ipasha Jen »

I was on the permit with Teapot in 2022 and I still REALLY want to do this hike. I’m loving the TR!
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor
Gender?: Male

Post by zozeppelin »

paul wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:28 am Enjoying your trip report so far.

About those junior rangers in the parking lot demanding your permit and lecturing you. I guess it's good they are checking for permits but yeah it would be better if they did it in the backcountry camps instead of the parking lots. I also have had some young rangers lecturing me about not leaving my socks hanging at camp because an animal will definitely take it. I know that it's possible but I have yet to have that happen in all my nights in camping.
Agree it is good they are attempting to enforce the regulations, but some common sense would go a long way. I'm sure there was a lot of CDT pressure given the time of year, but one look at me and you could tell I'm no CDT'er (overweight, clean shaven, heavy pack, etc). It was annoying because I just got settled with the heavy pack on, mentally locked in and started my hike - like just getting started on a treadmill then getting immediately interrupted. More than that, it was just a general disappointment as I perceived the rangers I spoke with there had zero practical experience, especially the ranger at the backcountry desk whom I would speculate has never been in the backcountry. A lot of deer in headlights looks. To your point, the anecdotes are all to familiar, along the lines of 'this one time at backcountry camp ...'. I don't think having rangers play entrance ticket cop is helping attract good candidates, retain them and train them either.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

orin wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:07 pm The last time I camped at Isabel was a year or two after the fire. The trail up to the lake was hemmed in by 4 or 5 foot tall fireweed in full bloom. By the time I reached the lake I was covered in pollen from head to toe. We had hiked from Upper Park Creek that day and had plenty of time to explore the upper lake. We hung out on rock slabs and looked up at the divide. The climb up to the Coal Creek overlook looked pretty doable but we didn’t try it. It might be possible to backpack over the divide and down to Coal Creek lopping off a couple of days of your route. The topo map suggests the slope on the other side is moderate but of course you never know until you try it.
That is awesome Orin - I figured people like Ralph, and yourself had been up, over and around places like that. I kept trying to look for the other side o n the way back but it was a little confusing - you see what appears to be a low saddle/pass before turning towards Surprise pass but I don't think that was it when I was looking at the time.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I came across a woman with a handgun at Boulder Pass. She had everything she owned laid on the ground and I was waiting for the tent pad. I said something like "a gun eh." She said her parents wouldn't let her hike without it and it weighed a ton. (I can believe that.) There was a story about a guy and his son climbing Sieh and he son got hurt. The guy fired the gun to get attention.

https://flatheadbeacon.com/2014/08/11/h ... onal-park/

Another article says the guy was issued a warning. (Behind a paywall.)

Interesting read.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

I saw a guy with a holstered handgun and Cosley lake once. I thought about asking him what he was going to do with it but didn't want to start something.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
Shanejr

Post by Shanejr »

Wow, such a detailed report. Looks like you've enjoyed your time over there
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

I really enjoyed your report. I’m curious about trail conditions. I always think of this as an area that sees very little trail maintenance. Was this an issue? Sounds like the scenery has opened up a lot after the fire a few years ago.

Quite the hike you completed solo with an injured toe!

Thanks for taking the time to write up a great report. I’m sure many will find it useful.

Return to “Trip Reports”