Elevation at Glacier

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

JohnsonA
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Elevation at Glacier

Post by JohnsonA »

I may already know the answer to this but don't want to admit it.

We're staying at Swiftcurrent and will do some hiking from there. What kind of elevation are we talking about. We learned about hiking at higher altitudes at the south rim of the Grand Canyon. It made a huge difference.

Is there anything that can be done to help get ready for hiking at higher altitudes?

Thanks
Ref

Post by Ref »

I think the elevation is around 4,900 feet. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

Hockey Ref
dorf

Post by dorf »

No correction needed.

About the only thing you can do to get ready for the altitude is to spend a few days there without doing anything too strenuous. I haven't noticed any kind of altitude-related difficulties while at the park. Unless you're trying to tag a peak, the highest you're going to get is about 8,000 feet.

That said, I personally suffered greatly when I tried to do a 12 mile day in the Bighorns (Cloud peak Wilderness) beginning at about 9100 feet, climbing to about 10,600. This less than 16 hours after I arrived at the campground (elevation 8025') I spent the night before.
So many mountains, so little time.
Tara
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Tara »

I haven't had trouble with the elevation in Glacier compared to the South San Juans, above 11000 feet where I had major trouble (didn't acclimate at all...went straight from the plane from seal level up to 10000). I was maybe a little more winded on steep hikes my last trip but none of hte other symptoms...headache, etc.
Pager

Post by Pager »

I have terrible altitude sickness when at higher elevations (including the South Rim). I didn't have any problems at all in Glacier. Good luck!
Dave Parker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Dave Parker »

Well, I just got back from Yellowstone, and got sick yesterday, I was not drinking enough water and ended up with a bit of altitude sickness, my own stupidity, but make sure you are keeping hydrated it helps a whole bunch!

Dave

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”