hiking staffs in Spokane

Even though Glacier is the focal point, the Flathead and the surrounding area presents boundless activities, talk about it here.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

gumchain
Please add the numbers(11): 0

hiking staffs in Spokane

Post by gumchain »

Howdy,

We'll be flying into Spokane this Friday for supplies and cheaper car rental, and then driving to Glacier on Saturday. (Wow, I'll be in Glacier this weekend!)

My husband really wants to bring his 5.5' long wooden hiking stick, but we don't think we can get it on the plane. So, does anyone know a place in Spokane that sells wooden hiking staffs?

Thank you!
=) gumchain
gumchain

Post by gumchain »

Well to answer my own questions, Sportsman's Warehouse sells the Whistle Creek brand hiking sticks in the footwear department.

=) gumchain
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Wooden Hiking Sticks!

Post by mattB »

I'm pretty sure that you could find something in Kalispell or Whitefish or Columbia Falls, or even in some of the gift shops inside the Park.

Have you checked with the airline? They might let you bring the walking stick onboard, maybe one of the flight attendents would hold it for you?

I've seen guys flying with big fancy fishing rods, a walking stick shouldn't be much different.
gumchain

Post by gumchain »

Thanks for the ideas. I have called the airline and they said if it doesn't fit in the overhead compartment, it has to be checked. I explained what it was, but they were adamant about it. So, we'll try and check it and hope for no extra fees since it is longer than 62".

=) gumchain
gypsyjack

Post by gypsyjack »

Well, to put in a plug for the train.... I've never had a problem bringing a hiking stick on the Empire Builder. Fits nicely in those "locker" closets in the sleepers. Or in the luggage rack. Or anywhere else you can cram it. Usually I see a half dozen or so hiking sticks on any given sleeper or coach car. Oh, lately I've been using collapsible hiking/trek sticks, which can be bungee corded outside of my pack...but I have a soft spot for a good hiking stick, so when I find a nice one I usually end up buying it and bringing it back on the train.

Return to “Areas Surrounding Glacier”