Bear Spray

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

rvman

Bear Spray

Post by rvman »

Is it really necessary getting bear spray having our 6 & 8 year old with us(who tend to make noise :lol: )? also given the fact that we'll be on shorter hikes?

Should I get some or just tell our kids to be thier "noisy selves"?... or both?

Which brand is the best?

Thanks again!
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Bear Spray

Post by Hockey Ref »

Talk about opening a can of worms! This topic surely will get some mixed reactions. Here's my two cents-worth:

The length of a hike in Glacier isn't what's important. You can just as easily encounter a bear on the side of a well-traveled road as you can deep in the backcountry. Having said that, many of the shorter hikes in the park also will be among the more crowded, and crowds will tend to keep the bears away, in most cases. But not always. Bears can pop up anytime, anywhere, so you need to be prepared.

Keep in mind that bear spray is a tool of last resort. It's useful only at very close range, and if you have occasion to use it, you're already in trouble. As you noted, the best thing to do is make plenty of noise so that any bears in the area know you're coming and have ample time to get out of your way. The last thing you want to do is surprise them, especially a sow with cubs. So sing songs, shout "Yo, bear!" every so often, clap your hands, drop a few pennies or small stones into a can and use it as a noise-maker (along with your built-in 6- and 8-year-old noise-makers!).

Counter Assault seems to be a popular brand. You can buy it in the areas around the park. Remember that you can't travel with bear spray on planes, even in checked luggage. So if you're flying to the park, don't purchase it ahead of time. And if you have unused spray when you leave, you can donate it to the rangers.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Squilax
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Another suggestion

Post by Squilax »

Keep your little ones close by and in sight at all times when you're in the backcountry. I guess that goes without saying...
Dave Parker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Dave Parker »

Many of us that live here, carry bear spray, I have had occasion to use it twice, once was within about 20 yards of the front door here at the house, as far as "Best" that is subjective, I use Counter Assault, they were the ones that invented the stuff and have saved me from harm a couple of times...I would also say "Very" close is a subjective as well, sprays will vary between 20-40 on how far they go, this will be affected by wind and other weather conditions.

To me, it is cheap insurance, but making noise and being yourself goes a long way to letting any bear know your around, don't sneak around the park on the trails..

Dave
Tara
Gender?: Female

Bear Spray and kids

Post by Tara »

I hike with noisy kids and we sing, etc. (we don't wear bear bells...) but we always carry bear spray and know how to use it. As Ref said, you can encounter bears anywhere in the park. So carry it and KNOW HOW TO USE IT, and wear in on your belt or pack strap. But don't be afraid to hike iwth your kids. THe chances of a bear encounter on the trail are small and most bears would hear you and be long gone. But its best to be safe. We have hiked there for years with kids as babies up to age 9 and we are wary and vigilant but we don't not hike because of bears.
sj in cal

Post by sj in cal »

Everyone is going to have there own opinion on this topic, so here’s mine. I agree with everything said previously. I do carry spray for piece of mind (“be prepared” from my Boy Scout days) but it doesn’t really provide me any overall sense of safety and I consider it to be a small part of my overall safety plan. Stay together, be aware, and make some noise; remember a bear’s hearing is no better than yours. Speaking from experience it is sometimes difficult to be a “noise maker” continuously, especially after a long day on the trail; but I always pick “moments of solitude” wisely.

There were some good web links posted last summer concerning bear safety, spray, etc. I’ll check my home computer or maybe someone else will post them again

My recommendation is do your research, be well informed, and make your own decision.
sj in cal

Post by sj in cal »

One more thing. I actually do carry two bear bells. When I'm tired or tired of hearing my own voice I "use" them. "Use" means mechanically accelerate (shake like a rattle), otherwise they're fairly useless as noise makers
Tara

Good points...

Post by Tara »

SJ has some good points...having bear spray along shouldn't make you any less vigilant or "bear aware" but I still recommend carrying it so you have a last resort should something happen. And yes, we make noise but there are times you need to be more vigilant about that than others...if you're nearing a corner and can't see around the bend, clap loudly and shout. Our chant is "Hey bear, Yo bear" ( although one of my kids changed it to "hey bear yogurt!" when he was 1 1/2 :) ). You also need to be more aware and noisy near streams, waterfalls, etc. If you are concerned you could check out ranger-led hikes too.
Dave Parker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Dave Parker »

I agree with everything, and will add, it is important to understand and know what enviorment you are in, bears can be encountered anywhere, I was walking around the Trail of Cedars a couple of years ago and had a black bear walking from the opposite direction on the boardwalk, and I suspect it was the same bear that was destroyed last year in the same area,...the most important tool you have when in bear country is the tool between your ears! Make sure and pay attention, as Dorf said, keep the kids close to you and don't let them run ahead where you can't see them and stay viligent...bear spray works, but again, it is far better to have it an not use it...

Just follow the rules and pay attention and your chances of a close encounter of the furry kind are going to be far less than you would imagine.

Dave
dorf

Noisemaker

Post by dorf »

An alternative i've used with great success (haven't been mauled yet!) is to fill an empty soda can with a few large pebbles and shake that sucker every so often. Makes a very offensive noise and is good when you're sucking air while climbing. punch a hole in the side and string some cord through and attach it to a pack strap or belt.
So many mountains, so little time.
Tara

can

Post by Tara »

But can you silence it in areas you are NOT worried about encountering bears? I've never heard this...it sounds like a great option as long as you could have it quiet when you want. I have heard this type of thing makes great "anti-barking" training for dogs too!
Jen

Post by Jen »

Speaking from experience, if you do decide to carry Bear Spray, don't take the safety off until you are ready to use it! In addition if you do get it on your skin, wash repeatedly with plenty of soap and water. :shock:
Tara

Personal experience w/bear spray...

Post by Tara »

Jen, would you like to share that story? I think you told us on the old board but can't remember what happened...
Dave Parker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Dave Parker »

And make sure it is Warm to hot water, it will hurt worse at first, but will get rid of the spray on your skin quicker, the sprays are oil based so cold water, unless that is all that is available, will not remove it as quick as warm to hot water, basically your dealing with veg oil and pepper oil..

Dave
Jen

D'OH!

Post by Jen »

Long story short...I had the counter assault on my hip with the safety off. When I squatted down to retrieve something I had dropped, I compressed the trigger and the can discharged at my thigh at point blank range. The fact that it was right up against my clothing probably actually saved my lungs and eyes but boy that stuff sure stings on the skin. D'oh!

Return to “Hiking”