Snow

Looking for weather information?

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Stevo

Snow

Post by Stevo »

I'm seeing a dusting of snow on Mount Wilbur this morning and I think Mount Sinopah as well. Brr....
k2kelley
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

snow in August

Post by k2kelley »

cold here is Spokane (41) so snow likely on those in the backcountry. In my 13 years of backcountry permits, I've been snowed on twice in August.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Hockey Ref »

I remember snow on Wilbur and the other nearby peaks by Labor Day the year I worked at Many Glacier Hotel.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
karatenorth

Post by karatenorth »

I started on the Boulder Pass Trail on 8/31 from Kintla. I encountered a couple good rain/sleet showers. Later, I ran into one group of hikers who told me they were hudding inside the pit toilet at Hole-in-the-Wall until the snow passed. I did pass some small patches of snow on the ascent to Boulder Pass. There was a good dusting of snow on the upper peaks.

*Note about Hole-in-the-Wall* There is a Grizzly Bear in the area again. I encountered one about 175-200 feet away shortly after I left the campground. I got a few good pictures before I backed away out of sight. The park service was notified and is investigating corrective action.
sj in cal
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by sj in cal »

A grouphudled inside the pit toilet !?!? Gimme some of what they had, even the open boxes smell pretty bad. A night in the head seems an option only if you're full retreat. Don't want to be too judgemental (LOL), but even the minimally prepared should last one night in a tent. Makes me wonder what I'm missing, Hole in the Wall here I come...

Don't get me wrong, I'm no backcountry hero. On my recent trip, my most concern was...40 mph wind on Daw-Pit loop trail, 30-40 mph on-off gusts on-off all night at 50 mtn, and bear sign all over the trail to 50 mtn.
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

I'd suggest a stronger, more weather resistant tent rather than the pit toilet, but I have to note that the open air pit toilet at HOL has been replaced by a large "cabin style pit toilet equipped with a solar dehydrating system. It smells more of new wood than the typical pit toilet aroma. I still think I'd opt for my tent, but I can't be too critical in this case as the pit toilet is pretty nice.

Return to “Weather”