Customizing a backpack? Is it possible?

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Customizing a backpack? Is it possible?

Post by mattB »

I have a large backpack that has a single main top-loading compartment. So if you want something thats in the main compartment you basically have to empty the entire pack to get to it.
I have wondered if its possible or how difficult it would be to add a new zippered opening? Nothing huge that would effect the integrity of the pack, I was thinking maybe 4-6 inches long, probably want it covered with a flap to keep out rain.
I was just wondering if someone with some sewing talent could tell me if it would be easy, hard, really hard?
dorf
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Customizing a backpack? Is it possible?

Post by dorf »

What pack are you currently using? I think the feasibility of adding a zipper is going to depend on the pack's material.

I been using a top-loading Vapor Trail, which I really like, except for the extremely long collar and barely functional bottle pockets. Yeah, it's a royal pain to dig through to find something so I did the easy thing and just bought a new pack http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=34 :wink:

My SMD has mesh pockets on the sides and the back. It might make more sense to add mesh pockets to either the sides or on the back side of yours rather than trying to put in a zipper? The mesh on mine is quite stout and the elastic "top" will have no problems keeping things inside. Of course, you may have compression straps or something else to work around but it's worth looking at.
So many mountains, so little time.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Customizing a backpack? Is it possible?

Post by llholmes1948 »

It always seems to be a real pain to have to dig through your pack to find something. Usually it is pitch black in there. Someday someone will invent a pack with interior lighting.

Lyman

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”