Outside the Park camping options

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Outside the Park camping options

Post by Ear Mountain »

"Downtown West Glacier" -- That's funny Lyman.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Ear Mountain wrote:"Downtown West Glacier" -- That's funny Lyman.
Ralph,

If you spend the summer working at Lake McDonald Lodge, it will become clear that West Glacier does have a downtown and that Kalispell and Whitefish are cities. The jury is still out on Columbia Falls.

Lyman
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by Ear Mountain »

Yep, all things are relative I guess. It's just that a place like West Glacier is so ephemeral. Those that only frequent the park in summer can call it "downtown" West Glacier but what about the period from October through May. Pretty empty then. More like a ghost town. Only the PO is in business. At least East Glacier has some things happenin all through the winter.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
kiddoc

Post by kiddoc »

We returned home about a month ago-- stayed three nights each at West Glacier and St.Mary KOA's with a night in between at Many Glacier Hotel. WE tent camped one night at St.Mary's KOA right next to the river--beautiful. The price difference between KOA and NPS tent camping was $10 or so-- and for that difference we had free showers, playground, hot tubs,WiFi(some of the time), pool, affordable all-you-can-eat pancake breakfasts. Camping with three kids, the ammenities were nice. We were also lucky to be able to move to a Kabin our next two nights when we saw the forecast for rain-- I think they had a good 3-4" along with 30mph winds and 52 degrees the day we took down our tent!
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Jen has pointed out to me that the Sears Motel in East Glacier has some tent and RV sites according to their website:

http://www.searsmotel.com/

The good people at the motel tell me that tha amenities with the campground are bathrooms and shower and that there is a laundromat across the street. Of course we know that there are restaurants across the street.

This appears to be the only campground at East Glacier that I have found. If someone on the Chat has tented there, perhaps they can give us a review.

Lyman
Tara
Gender?: Female

Post by Tara »

There's a laundromat across the street? Where? I thought the only one in East Glacier was on Hwy 2 and isn't open any more?
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Tara wrote:There's a laundromat across the street? Where? I thought the only one in East Glacier was on Hwy 2 and isn't open any more?
This is what the people at the Sears Motel told me when I called them yesterday for information on their tent sites.

Perhaps this is another undercover assignment for Slowhiker.

Lyman
Jen

Post by Jen »

llholmes1948 wrote:
Tara wrote:There's a laundromat across the street? Where? I thought the only one in East Glacier was on Hwy 2 and isn't open any more?
This is what the people at the Sears Motel told me when I called them yesterday for information on their tent sites.

Lyman
Farmgirl and I will scope it out. (in 15 days :-) )
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Jen wrote:
llholmes1948 wrote:

Lyman
Farmgirl and I will scope it out. (in 15 days :-) )
Good. If we use Slowhiker too many times for these assignments her cover will be blown. Now you and Farmgirl are on the case. You know what to do. You know what we want. Be safe and we look forward to your report (and perhaps some clandestine photos of this mysterious laundromat).

Lyman
slowhiker
Donator
Donator

Post by slowhiker »

Are there some laundry facilities at Brownies that they are referring to? This is a good assignment for Jen and Farmgirl. I will gladly provide backup support. Jen, do you and Farmgirl need a ride?
Jen

Post by Jen »

slowhiker wrote:Are there some laundry facilities at Brownies that they are referring to? This is a good assignment for Jen and Farmgirl. I will gladly provide backup support. Jen, do you and Farmgirl need a ride?
There will be a photo documentation of said laudry facility or lack there of.

Yes we will need a ride. Is your vehicle disguised?

I love a good undercover mission!
slowhiker
Donator
Donator

Post by slowhiker »

I'll cover it with some branches or something like that. No one will ever recognize it.
Jen

Post by Jen »

slowhiker wrote:I'll cover it with some branches or something like that. No one will ever recognize it.
This mission is shaping up nicely! :arrow:

Return to “Camping”