Waterton Camping

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Waterton Camping

Post by toddnick »

I'm looking at making my first trip to the Canadian part of the Park next year and do Crypt Lake and Carthew/Alderson hikes.

I'm looking at the best place to camp for three nights. I'm looking for scenic, well-treed, and convenient to these trails (for instance, I dislike St. Mary Campground but love Many Glacier Campground).

It appears that Waterton Townsite, Crandell, and Belly River are the thrr campgrounds based on my research Waterton its more of an open field (yuck) type of campground (but you can reserve sites) and Crandell closes on Labour Day just before I would arrive, and Belly River is more scenic but is about 1/2 hour from Waterton proper (which I actually wouldn't mind driving daily).

Are there any other options??

What would you recommend??

Also, does the shuttle for Carthew/Alderson continue after Labour Day??

Thanks......
Tara
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Waterton Camping

Post by Tara »

I don't know much...the Wateron campground that you mention is the town campground, right? If so, it is not somewhere I'd choose to camp...right in town and no trees or very few anyway...little privacy, from what I remember. I've seen bears in that campground several times in the middle of the day. What about Red Rock Parkway? Isn't there a campground out there? Maybe out of your way but it's a beautiful drive out there.
Talusman
Donator
Donator

Re: Waterton Camping

Post by Talusman »

There is the campground right in town very near the Carthew trailhead and some others out away from town. The one in town has showers and cooking shelters. I don't know about the others.

Return to “Camping”