Recommendations of 5- or 6-day routes please

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

david
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Recommendations of 5- or 6-day routes please

Post by david »

Hi. I would like to plan a self-guided backpacking backcountry trip for about six of us in July, August or September 2010. Most of us are based in South Africa. We are all strong, experienced long-range hikers and campers, so we're happy to cover challenging terrain. I'm totally new to Glacier NP. Could you please recommend some possible routes for us to follow (4 or 5 nights out)? Also, how should I go about getting the necessary permit/s to do this? Thanks so much: any help appreciated!
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Re: Recommendations of 5- or 6-day routes please

Post by Hockey Ref »

From the Glacier FAQs at http://glacierparkchat.com/phpBB3/viewt ... ?f=1&t=580

Q. What are the requirements for backcountry backpacking and camping?

A. Glacier offers backcountry campgrounds throughout the park. These are the only places where backcountry camping is generally allowed. Overnight camping at these sites requires a Backcountry Use Permit that specifies the user’s itinerary and must be in your possession at all times. Backcountry Use Permits may be obtained in person from the following offices:

· Apgar Backcountry Permit Center (open daily from May 1 through October 31)

· St. Mary Visitor Center (open daily from late May through September)

· Many Glacier (open late May to mid-September)

· Two Medicine and Polebridge Ranger Stations (open daily from early June through mid-September)

· Waterton Lakes National Park Visitor Reception Centre (open daily from early June through mid-September)

Advance reservations also are possible for approximately half of the campsites at each Glacier backcountry campground. Any reservation made more than one day prior to the start of a backcountry trip is considered an advanced reservation and requires payment of a $30 reservation fee. This fee is not charged for reservations made within one day of starting a trip. Advance reservation applications are accepted only for trips that begin between June 15 and October 31.
Detailed information on backcountry camping in Glacier can be found at: http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/backcountry.htm

Q. What are the advance reservation procedures?

A. Advance reservation applications may be submitted by mail starting January 1 of each year. Applications are accepted only on the official form. The form is available on the park website at:
http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/u ... cation.pdf

A maximum of two trips may be included on a single form, and each trip may include a first and second choice of itinerary. A trip is defined as an itinerary that enters and then exits the backcountry at a trailhead or developed area.

All applications received by April 15 are randomly sorted before being processed. Applications received after April 15 are processed in the order received. If you want a specific backcountry route, it is essential to submit an advance reservation application as the number of requests generally exceeds the number of backcountry campsites available for advance reservation.

Q. How can I be sure to get the backcountry trip/route I want?

A. There is no way to ensure that any specific campground or route will be available for advance registration or available on a walk-up basis. You can improve your chances of getting a specific route or campground by planning early and getting your advance registration application submitted before April 15. You also can increase your chances of receiving some type of advance registration by indicating flexibility in your advance reservation application. This may include allowing significant changes to your requested itinerary and maintaining flexibility in the dates available to enter and leave the backcountry.

Q. What are the best overnight loop hikes in Glacier?

A. The Glacier backcountry provides a wealth of beautiful trails and backcountry campgrounds allowing for short or long backpacking trips. Since transportation sometimes can be problematic, loop (circular) hikes are popular, though the Glacier trail system does not provide many true loop-hike opportunities. The most popular multi-day loop hikes include:

· Northern Loop (Many Glacier area) – This route starts and ends in the Many Glacier Valley. The routes follows Swiftcurrent Pass west over the Continental Divide, continues along the spectacular Highline Trail North to its intersection with the Stoney Indian Pass Trail, crosses beautiful Stoney Indian Pass, and enters the peaceful Belly River Valley area. From here, trails offer two routes back into the Many Glacier area. One takes Ptarmigan Tunnel into Many Glacier from the north, while the other goes over Red Gap Pass and enters Many Glacier from the east/northeast. This route generally requires five to seven days and covers either approximately 54 miles or 62 miles depending on the precise route. This route can be taken in either a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction.
· Red Gap Pass – Ptarmigan Tunnel Loop (Many Glacier area) – At 28 miles, this is a shorter variation of the Northern Loop and usually includes one night at Poia Lake and another at Elizabeth Lake as it follows the Red Gap Pass and Ptarmigan Tunnel trails. Most commonly completed as a two-night, three-day trip.
· Dawson Pass / Pitamakan Pass Loop (Two Medicine area) – As previously mentioned, this is a popular route that can be completed as a long (19-mile) day hike or as a one- or two-night backcountry route with a proper backcountry permit.

There also are many popular overnight or multi-day backpacking routes that can be turned into a loop with one day of backtracking or by using the hiker shuttle.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
ND Sol
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by ND Sol »

The Northern Loop is great. Also consider the Northern Traverse that combines some of the Northern Loop with some of the spots on the northwest part of the park. Or consider a semi loop that starts/ends in the Northwest at Bowman or Kintla Lakes and takes in Boulder Pass and Hole in the Wall, two of the best backcountry sites in the park. I also really liked Lake Francis, which you can work in as well.

Some of these trails may not be open until later in July; August will be a difficult month to get a permit with September being much better, although the weather can be more of an issue. We did a eight day/seven night in September and the weather was some of the best I have ever experienced, so you never know.
david

Post by david »

Thanks so much, Hockey Ref and ND Sol, for the excellent info and advice!
Farmgirl
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Farmgirl »

http://glacierparkchat.com/phpBB3/viewt ... f12ce8aaca

David-

Here's my Trip Report from '08. Did the "North Loop"; Logan Pass-Granite Park, Fifty Mountain, Stoney Indian, Cosley Lake, Helen Lake, out Many Glacier. Loved it!!! (6 days, 5 nights)
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

Farmgirl wrote:http://glacierparkchat.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =11&t=3222

David-

Here's my Trip Report from '08. Did the "North Loop"; Logan Pass-Granite Park, Fifty Mountain, Stoney Indian, Cosley Lake, Helen Lake, out Many Glacier. Loved it!!! (6 days, 5 nights)
Here's my trip report of the same basic route, in three parts. It begins with a day hike to Grinnell Glacier, but the rest is all North Loop. Same direction as Farmgirl. Note that both of us did the Highline from Logan Pass to Granite Park on the first day rather than starting off with the grueling climb up Swiftcurrent Pass. It's a good option if you are doing the route in the clockwise direction. You just need to hop the shuttle to Logan to get started.

Trip photos (this link may not work -- not sure why): http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/cre ... 8598694110

Part 1: http://glacierparkchat.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =11&t=3015

Part 2: http://glacierparkchat.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =11&t=3016

Part 3: http://glacierparkchat.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =11&t=3017
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
david

Post by david »

Thank you, Farmgirl. Thank you again, Hockey Ref. This is just fantastic information. I really appreciate it.
ND Sol
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by ND Sol »

Hockey Ref,

I remember looking at your pics and reading your trip report last year and I just did the latter again. But I can't seem to get to your pictures, which I would really like to see again. Are you blocking me until I do my trip report on much the same route from this year? :)
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

ND Sol wrote:Hockey Ref,

I remember looking at your pics and reading your trip report last year and I just did the latter again. But I can't seem to get to your pictures, which I would really like to see again. Are you blocking me until I do my trip report on much the same route from this year? :)
No! I don't understand it. I tried posting the link again (the photos are in the Kodak Gallery site), but when I open it, I get nothing. I have no idea what's going on.
Hockey Ref

Return to “Backcountry Permits”