Your Favorite Car Campground in Glacier

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Your Favorite Car Campground in Glacier

Post by toddnick »

Since there is already a topic in this Forum for Favorite BC Campground, I'll make this about car campgrounds.....

Remember general guideline that you must differentiate your favorite but are allowed to list 2 (but no more...make a decision....even if it like choosing your favorite child) honorable mentions (kind of like bronze and silver medalists).

What is your favorite car campground (front country campground) in or around Glacier?? What makes it your favorite??

I have visited most of the car campgrounds in the Park and stayed at a few during my two visits....

Winner

Many Glacier Campground - This place just feels like home to me....The campground doesn't feel as large as it is, the sites are pretty well separated and wooded, and there are great sites right along Swiftcurrent Creek. There is a feeling here that you are "right in the mountains". Access to trailheads is unsurpassed in the Park. The camp store is handy for daily wood/ice runs as well as morning coffee. The Swiftcurrent Restaurant adjacent to the campground makes a good breakfast and a respectable dinner. The showers have nice hot water and a reasonable price ($1.25). Park Cafe pie is also only about 30 minutes away...

Honorable Mention

Rising Sun Campground - This campground has many excellent sites as well as many of the same services/facilities as Many Glacier Campground (shower, camp store, restaurant). It doesn't have the beauty of the Many Glacier area but it does have the added feature of being centrally located only 30 minutes from Logan Pass and within an hour of just about everything (except the North Fork). Park Cafe pie is only about 10 minutes away.....
Montana09
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Your Favorite Car Campground in Glacier

Post by Montana09 »

Winner:

Two Medicine

I just like the ambiance at this one best. It's not as busy as Many Glacier, but as spectacular IMHO. I like all the trails heading out from it and the way the sites look. There are lots of cool smaller animals that live in the campground too like snowshoe hare. I like to fish, and Two Medicine is great fishing for trophy rainbows and brook trout.

Runner up:

Bowman

I chose this over Kintla and Many Glacier because I simply like the sites better. There's lots of room at the top of the loop and more privacy. The lake is great of course. Kintla would have taken this but the sites are too close and bunched in.

Many Glacier is awesome, but a bit too busy to be my favorie campground. It would be in the top five though.
trillerud1
Donator
Donator

Post by trillerud1 »

Kintla! the sites may be close, but it is so small that it doesn't much matter. And the beach is just great. Next time I go, I'll take along a boat of some sort.

-robin
"There is just one hope for repulsing the tyrannical ambition of civilization to conquer every niche of the whole earth. That hope is the organization of spirited people who will fight for the freedom of the wilderness."
- Robert Marshall
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Bowman Lake!
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
Talusman
Donator
Donator

Post by Talusman »

Kintla, the kayak campground :arrow:
mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Donator & Special Contributor

Post by mattB »

Favorite: Two Medicine. Nice campsites, nice views, good access to some great hikes. The lake. I also like the availability of the little store and boat launch, so there are some amenties available without seeming over commecialized.

Honorable Mention: Rising Sun; and St Mary's
Tara
Gender?: Female

Post by Tara »

Many Glacier. I know, I know...but it's the first place I fell in love with in Glacier and I have so many wonderful experiences associated with camping there. I feel "home" in the park, but particularly "home" in that campground.

Tie for 2nd (really, I can't choose just one!) between Two Med and Kintla (haven't camped at Bowman yet)

Return to “Camping”