Bowman and mosquitos

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Handapanda
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Bowman and mosquitos

Post by Handapanda »

On the NPS website the link on Bowman Campground says, "Be sure to pack bug repellent or headnets though, as mosquitoes often take residence at Bowman Lake."

I'm planning a trip to Glacier in late July or early August and was wondering if the mosquitos really are worse at Bowman than any other campsite.

Any advice, suggestions or comments would be most appreciated!

Also, I think we'll stay a few nights at Many Glacier. Is it about a 3 hour drive from Many Glacier to Bowman?

Thank you!
July Guy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Bowman and mosquitos

Post by July Guy »

They can be bad anywhere, but yes, Bowman and Kintla can be particularly bad at times. I feel that this is often due to a lack of breeze or wind, especially in the evenings. I'd recommend loose fitting long sleeves/ pants. Lightweight, even on a warm evening will save you some swatting. Campfires help too. If you are really concerned, the head netting we have was only $1.99. Fits over a ball cap or 'floppy' hat.

I'd say you could plan on between 3-4 hours for that drive. It is about a half hour from fish creek (outside NF) to Polebridge, then an additional half hour to Bowman.

That said, Bowman is a great place to camp. Enjoy it.
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker
Handapanda

Post by Handapanda »

Would Quartz Creek and Logging Creek probably have fewer bugs?
July Guy
Donator
Donator

Post by July Guy »

If anything they could be worse. Are you car camping I assume? Quartz Creek and Logging Creek are primitive campgrounds, so no water, you have to bring your own. Also, access is via the Inside North Fork Road which is a slower go than the Outside North Fork Road. In addition, you wouldn't have the great views that Bowman has. The Inside NF road is improved, we drove it last year and enjoyed it. Some people do not enjoy the bumpy slow ride but we do.

I would not let the bugs scare you away. Bowman has better views, the lake is right there for swimming/ wading, and there is potable water at Bowman.

The bugs, like the weather, can be hit or miss at any campground.

~ Coworker
Handapanda

Post by Handapanda »

Yes, we will be car camping, but we're only thinking of spending a couple of days on the west side of the park, so bringing in water wouldn't really be an issue.

I'll be with a couple of people who are relatively new to camping, and I'm sure needing headnets would not make them happy campers (though I don't really have a problem with it).

I think I'll try to persuade them to give Bowman a chance; if the bugs are too terrible, we can try another place, or just tough it out for two nights.

Thanks for the info and the advice!
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by Ear Mountain »

The area around the Bowman Lake campground has some low wet marshy areas that add to the mosquito problem. If there is a little breeze the bugs will be less of problem. I would not hesitate to camp at Bowman Lake because of the great scenery from the beach.

Two things you can do:
1. Bring bug dope and follow the suggestions of previous posters.
2. Train your body to be more tolerant of mosquitos by camping in some really buggy places. I do not know where you're from but just about any state has someplace that's real buggy. If you can't find someplace like that stop in Minnesota on the way to Glacier. The mosquito is the Minnesota state bird. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
July Guy
Donator
Donator

Post by July Guy »

Bowman has an isolated feel- you need to leave the pavement to get there..so if the bugs are bad that isolated feel might make it worse for your friends..

Although larger (178 sites) you may want to consider Fish Creek. Beautiful views of the lake and mountains and as a bonus they take reservations. Nice beach. Canoe rentals close as well. Just a thought, have a good trip.

JG

~ Coworker
Handapanda

Post by Handapanda »

Haha... I'm originally from Iowa and I spend a good chunk of my summers in Wisconsin, so I've had more than my fair share of mosquito exposure. We will definitely come to Glacier prepared the the right clothes as well as repellant.

I really like the solitude. We're planning a few nights at Many Glacier, and after that, I'll be wanting a bit of quiet time. Last year we went to Gunnison National Forest in CO, and the year before we were in Bighorn National Forest in WY. I'm a bit nervous that Glacier is going to be a zoo compared to those forests, but I can't pass up the scenery!

Thanks for the heads up on Fish Creek. I will definitely check it out and present it as an option to the rest of the group! :D
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Handapanda wrote:I really like the solitude. We're planning a few nights at Many Glacier, and after that, I'll be wanting a bit of quiet time.
Most of Glacier is not like a zoo compared to Yellowstone and some other parks but to me Many Glacier, Apgar are pretty busy. Fish Creek is better but if you want solitude you should go to Bowman or Kintla on the west side or Cut Bank Campground on the east side.

Many Glacier has great scenery and access to lots of good hiking. That sort of makes up for the busier feel.
Montana09

Post by Montana09 »

The bugs in the Rockies are really weak compared to places like the Northwoods. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you have some spray in case they get annoying.
Tara

Post by Tara »

The bugs in the Rockies are really weak compared to places like the Northwoods. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you have some spray in case they get annoying.
I don't know that I agree with that...I've had some run-ins with swarms of pretty vicious, bloodthirsty mosquitos in the rockies!
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Tara wrote:
I don't know that I agree with that...I've had some run-ins with swarms of pretty vicious, bloodthirsty mosquitos in the rockies!
What she said plus flocks of flesh eating elk flies and hordes of black flies. :shock:
Tara

Post by Tara »

Tara wrote:
Quote:

What she said plus flocks of flesh eating elk flies and hordes of black flies.
Oh yes, don't forget the flies!

We aren't trying to scare you off but it's better to be prepared. You may not have a problem with either but you're much better off being equipped to deal with both if you need to. Have fun!

Return to “Camping”