New here..first post about Campsite lengths?

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

acampingwewillgo
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

New here..first post about Campsite lengths?

Post by acampingwewillgo »

Hi all
This is my very first post. Im in the "thinking" stages of planning a RV trip to Glacier. I have a 37' motorhome and Ill be towing a car. I have reviewed the NPS info, Im an active member of RV.Net and have asked about sites on that forum also. So here goes...Ive heard many say that Many Glacier CG is a step above some of the others in regards to scenery BUT they list the available sites to be in the 32' range...what IM wondering is if anyone here has any first hand knowledge whether a larger RV might fit in some of their sites. Apgar CG does list sites in the 40' range..so thats always the fall back plan.

Also, since this will be my first visit to Glacier and I hope to spend a week there, can someone give me an overview of the MUST see's? I still have plenty of time to research and thats half the Fun.
Thanks
Dwight
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Re: New here..first post about Campsite lengths?

Post by Hockey Ref »

"Must sees" and other info can be found in the FAQs at this link:

http://glacierparkchat.com/phpBB3/viewt ... ?f=1&t=580

Otherwise, I don't know the answer to your question about RV length at the Many Glacier campground (it is located in one of the park's most scenic locations, however). I do know there's a 25-foot length restriction on the Going-to-the-Sun Road, so you won't be able to travel that in your RV. I suggest you call the park office directly at (406) 888-7800 to see if they can help with this particular question.

Also, note that Apgar is on the opposite side of the park (west side) from Many Glacier (east side) and will require a 2-3 hour drive each way between the two areas. And you'll have to use Highway 2 along the southern border of the park if you plan to go back and forth in your RV.

If your goal is to spend most of your time in the Many Glacier region, you won't want to make Apgar your base.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Finalshot

Post by Finalshot »

regardless of what the Park can or can not offer, you can always make plans at the St Mary's KOA. . . It can handle your rig and it's about one mile from the main eastern entrance to Glacier Park at St Mary's and about 15 miles from Many Glacier . . .

http://www.goglacier.com/popups/rv.html

Tony
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

acampingwewillgo wrote:Also, since this will be my first visit to Glacier and I hope to spend a week there, can someone give me an overview of the MUST see's? I still have plenty of time to research and thats half the Fun.
The previous suggestions about contacting the Park directly about your RV length is a great one as well as the recommendation of staying at St. Mary. It is just not that far to many other park sites from there.

In addition to studying the Park website and the FAQs on the Chat, I think that a good guidebook to Glacier, such as the Moon Handbook to Glacier would be a great investment and it would greatly enhance your visit.

Hope you have a great trip.

Lyman
acampingwewillgo

Thank you all for the quick replies. My idea is to Park the motorhome in one area and then use the car to do all the sightseeing that I can. Quite frankly, Im not even sure which side(east or west) would make a better base? Im not an avid hiker but Id still love to take the easy to moderate trails. As stated, Im still very early in the planning stages and I have had others suggest the guide book mentioned...so I think that Ill be picking one of those up. Thanks again everyone.
Dwight
July Guy
Donator
Donator

Post by July Guy »

acampingwewillgo wrote: Im not an avid hiker but Id still love to take the easy to moderate trails.
Dwight
Since you are willing to get out on the trails a bit, I would second what Finalshot and Ref said.

a: Don't make Apgar your base but
b: Park your motor house at the KOA in St Mary.

Sounds like you are too Big for Many Glacier and this will make a relatively short drive up to Many Glacier, down to Two Medicine, or up to Logan Pass.
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker
acampingwewillgo

OK....I found that FAQ section and its very informative. Ill continue to comb through this forum and learn as much as possible. Thank you
Tara
Gender?: Female

Post by Tara »

I have watched more than one larger RV trying to get into or out of Many Glacier campsites (I spend a lot of time there :) ). I've seen/heard several hit trees in the process and others have had an extremely difficult time. One time we finally gave up watching because they were "stuck" and later they were gone but we don't know how long it took. Yours simply sounds too long, and if there does happen to be one or two sites large enough, your chances of "getting" those sites is very low...that campground is crazy trying to get a site. I agree with the suggestions to get a site at the St. Mary KOA. Happy planning and enjoy your trip!
acampingwewillgo

I think my plan of attack might be to plan on Apgar to begin with(seems there are sites large enough for sure there) and then while touring the Park in the car, Ill do some campsite shopping about to see if moving is an option. If not....Ill use the car to do all my travel from point A to B. As much as I like commerical parks(KOA etc), I prefer the natural surroundings of a rural CG ....yep, I know, a big motorhome and a rustic setting seems like opposites but Im still a camper at heart. :D
toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

In my opinion...if you are a hiker, the East side is the place to be.....

If you have a week to do moderate hiking, the best hikes include Highline, Grinnell Glacier, Cracker Lake, and Iceberg Lake. Three of these four have the trailhead in the Many Glacier area which would mean 5 or more hours of driving each day (at least 2.5 hours each way from Apgar to Many Glacier in July and August) with plenty of traffic.
Tara
Gender?: Female

Post by Tara »

Just a note about KOA's: The ST. Mary KOA isn't as "KOAish" as most are. Yes, the RV sites are closer together but the setting is spectacular and it just strikes me as "different" than many others. It isn't my first choice to tent camp but...your views would be better than Apgar and it just is really an exceptionally nice KOA in my opinion. Check out their website...
acampingwewillgo

Still have some time to decide..but St. Mary KOA seems to be a very popular suggestion. Ill give it another look. Thanks all.

Return to “Camping”