Camas Lake and Arrow Lake BC campsites?

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Camas Lake and Arrow Lake BC campsites?

Post by mattB »

Anyone have any thoughts or comments about the Camas Lake or Arrow Lake Backcountry campsites?

What are the views like? Any day-hike possibilities from Camas Lake?

After my BC permit was denied, I'm trying to replan and find some other options.

Also, anyone have any experience backpacking in the Coal Creek/Nyack area? Do you still need a permit to camp there? I see that there are three established BC campsites, but other than that you can basically camp pretty much whereever you want? (assuming a few common-sense restrictions)
distressbark

Re: Camas Lake and Arrow Lake BC campsites?

Post by distressbark »

I've never hiked the trail towards these backcountry sites, partially due to numerous fords along the way. I believe there are 5 major fords between the trailhead and Camas Lake. I considered using Camas Lake as a basecamp to climb Heaven's Peak, but it seems much more reasonable to approach it from the Going-to-the-Sun Road from the east. Perhaps an arduous bushwhack from Camas Lake to the Heaven's Peak fire lookout would make for an interesting day hike? Sorry if this isn't too helpful, I'm sure someone one here will be able to provide a little bit more insight.
- anders

"And what do the birds say? All there is to say about a massacre, things like Poo-tee-weet?"
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five
mattB

Post by mattB »

Hmmm, I just checked the trail status page, doesn't look good, says a bridge was taken out in 2005 and "is not going to be replaced", also mentioned a section of the trail near a lakeshore that has been washed away and will not be repaired, gave directions for how to follow along the lake shore and find the trail again.

I guess this must be another section of trail and some campsites that they want to abandon. When the usage is so heavy on the popular trails and campsites, why don't they do better maintenance on the less popular trails to try and attract hikers away from the busy areas to other parts of the park?
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

mattB wrote:Anyone have any thoughts or comments about the Camas Lake or Arrow Lake Backcountry campsites? What are the views like? Any day-hike possibilities from Camas Lake?
I've hiked up the Camas Valley and there are some spectacular views along the trail. Yes the trail is not at the standard of the heaviest used trails but to me that is not a problem. The biggest wade is between Rogers Lake and Trout Lake. It might be a problem early in the season but in mid summer I'd expect the wade to be manageable. Just be prepared with a supportive wading shoe like Teva sandals or something similar. A day hike would be to hike up the valley as far as possible. Views get better the farther one goes. Fishing is supposed to be good in the various lakes as well.
mattB wrote:Also, anyone have any experience backpacking in the Coal Creek/Nyack area? Do you still need a permit to camp there? I see that there are three established BC campsites, but other than that you can basically camp pretty much whereever you want? (assuming a few common-sense restrictions)
I've camped numerous time in the Nyack/Coal Creek Wilderness. You definitely need a permit and there are some important regulations. These include:

Campsites must be located a minimum of 100 feet from lakes, streams, and rivers.
Campsites must be located a minimum of ½ mile and out of sight of any trail corridor, designated campground, patrol cabin, fire lookout, roadway, developed area, or other camping party.
Follow the Leave No Trace practices.
Contact GNP Backcountry staff for al pertinent information.

If you are only hiking the trails, campsite selection may be difficult in some areas due to the heavily forested Nyack Valley. It might take some time to find a good campsite. If you are planning on hiking the Nyack and Coal Creek trails my suggestion would be to use the designated sites. This saves the hassle of dealing with hanging food or carrying a bear proof container, digging cat holes for waste disposal and finding good places to pitch your tent.

The Nyack valley is heavily forested and the Coal Creek Valley was burned extensively in 2003. The trail up Coal Creek fords the creek many times so be prepared with a supportive wading shoe like Teva sandals or something similar.

You will definitely encounter fewer people on these trails, however.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.

Return to “Camping”