Camping at Glacier in early-mid July

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

redchicago
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Camping at Glacier in early-mid July

Post by redchicago »

Hi,

I'm camping at Galcier and in the Gallatin National Forest in early and mid July and worried about having the right sleeping bag. I currently have a some coleman sleeping bags rated for 40 degrees, but I was considering buying a pair of Ledge Idaho 0-degree Zip-together Sleeping Bags. WIll these bags be too hot for july camping at glacier and gallatin? Will my 40 degree coleman bag be enough?

Suggestions would be appreciated.
Montana09
Gender?: Male

Re: Camping at Glacier in early-mid July

Post by Montana09 »

My experience says always add +20 degrees to any bag that doesn't have an EN 13537 rating:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_13537

So I would put your 40 degree bag around a 55 or so. Glacier in mid-July is as warm as it gets there so you should be alright with your 40 degree bag and a fleece blanket for backup as long as you are on a closed cell foam pad. If you are on an inflatable pad have another blanket as backup along with a knit hat and thick socks. You should be fine.

The cheapest way to warm up your sleeping bag is to purchase one of those fleece sleeping bag liners you can get at your local sporting goods store for around $20. Have one of those, another blanket, warm socks and a knit hat and you are good to go for anything that may crop up.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

I agree with Montana09's ideas on stuff like wearing socks and bag liners, etc. I have bad circulation in my feet.

I sometimes wear a knit/fleece hat. I have very little hair nowdays :) Fleece is less itchy for me. And I have worn a full face and neck microfleece balaclava at times...fall camping/hunting.

I seem to recall your head can lose upwards of 25-30% of your body heat. All that blood circulating around on the surface of your noggin, just under the skin, acts like a radiator....especially on hardheads like me :wink:

And for sure a good quality sleeping bag pad really can make a big difference. I think more so with down bags since down, depending on the design, baffling, etc., can get compacted laying on it. I have a Kelty Lightyear down bag rated at 25F. I have slept in it in temps below that with no problems, once in my tarptent(hunting). I used my Zfold pad and I was OK. I slept in long underwear, socks, and fleece hat though.

What kind of tent you camping in?

My 3 season dome tent is considerably warmer than my lil tarptent I use backpacking.

pocketlint
sj in cal
Gender?: Male

Post by sj in cal »

When car camping in glacier, I always use my coleman 40F bag and never been cold. In the backcountry I also use the Kelty Light Year 25F. Most of the time its just fine, sometimes too hot, and on one night (out of about 30) I was cold while wearing extra clothes. Everyone sleeps different, so hard to recommend a different bag. However, buying new gear is fun!
redchicago
Gender?: Female

Post by redchicago »

I don't know what kind of tent we have (in terms of 3 seasons) since it's not my tent. I guess I'll bring some long underwear, wool socks and extra blankets to go with the slepeing bags I have and hope for the best.

Return to “Camping”