Short Backpack Location Recommendations?

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Short Backpack Location Recommendations?

Post by mattB »

I'm planning a short 2 or 3 night backpack in Glacier at the end of the month, and since I lost the permit lottery I'm going to just go with what I can get as a walk-up permit. My goal is just to visit some areas of the park that aren't easily accessible on day-hikes. I've never been to any of these areas.

I was just curious how others on the forum would prioritize some of these areas:

GunsightLake-LakeEllenWilson-Sperry
Belly River (Elizabeth Lake, Glenn's Lake, Gable Creek)
LakeJanet/Francis-BrownPass-GoatHaunt
GoatHaunt-KootenaiLake-StoneyIndianPass(day hike)
CobaltLake(2 nights)-TwoMedicinePass(day hike)
GranitePark(2 nights)-SwiftCurrentLookout(day hike)
AtlanticCreek(2 nights)-TripleDividePeak(day hike)
RedEagleLake(2 nights)-TripleDividPeak(day hike)

I realize I'll be at the mercy of whats available when I get to the Backcountry office, but I was just curious what others thought of some of these area, in case I did have a choice.
July Guy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Short Backpack Location Recommendations?

Post by July Guy »

Hi Matt, hope you get something good...

I could be wrong, but it looks like Cobalt Lake and Granite Park have a one night limit, per trip, in July and August.
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Matt,

I will just make a couple of comments.

Anytime you can get to camp at Lake Ellen Wilson has got to be a great day. Great area, great hike, great campsite!

Granite Park is in another great area which allows you to explore the various trails. For historical reasons, It would still give me the willies to stay at the campground but that is probably just me.

I want to camp at Cobalt Lake sometime for the simple reason that no one else ever camps there (or so it seems). I didn't realize that there was a campground there until a couple of years ago. It is inhabited by the world's largest marmot.

Good luck and we look forward to see what you get.

Lyman
wnysteve
Donator
Donator

Post by wnysteve »

llholmes1948 wrote:

Granite Park is in another great area which allows you to explore the various trails. For historical reasons, It would still give me the willies to stay at the campground but that is probably just me.

Lyman
The Granite Park campground is located a good little distance from the Chalet. I think it was relocated some years ago and does not occupy the spot it did at the time of the tragedy of 1967. I may have heard that at the Chalet, but I am not sure, so perhaps someone else may know for certain
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

wnysteve wrote:The Granite Park campground is located a good little distance from the Chalet. I think it was relocated some years ago and does not occupy the spot it did at the time of the tragedy of 1967. I may have heard that at the Chalet, but I am not sure, so perhaps someone else may know for certain
That is a good question. It seems to me that it is about in the same place that it was when I first saw it in 1970 but I might be wrong. I don't know if it might have been moved between 1967 and 1970.

I was very pleased to be staying in the trail crew cabin one night there in 1970 and not in the campground. It seems to me that the campground got very little use back then. At that time I used to think that those few people who stayed at the campground were either foolhardy or slightly deranged or were visitors from Europe who were totally unfamiliar with the events of 1967.

Lyman
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

I think the Granite Park CG is available only for extended itineraries in July and August.

Gunsight-->Lke Ellen Wilson and/or Sperry CG--> Lake McD is a great choice imo!

Did it as a day hike some years back. This time I'm doinit it in August as 2nights/3days...3 nights if I can get Sperry added on. I'm going to enjoy it this time.

pocketlint :wink:
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by MarxMN »

GunsightLake-LakeEllenWilson-Sperry is a great hike if you can get back country sites. Gunsight Lake, Lake Ellen Wilson and Sperry camp grounds all have great views. Do it as a two day hike if you can only get one site on one night - it will be worthwhile.

I find the Belly River area interesting - you could spend two nights at Gable Creek exploring up to Cosley Lake and beyond one day and Elizabeth Lake area a second day. Another option would be Gable Creek or Elizabeth Lake on a Many Glacier to Belly River hike through Ptarmigan Tunnel.
mattB

Re: Short Backpack "Must See" Recommendations?

Post by mattB »

So, so far no one has mentioned the Waterton Lake area, Waterton-LakeJanet-BrownPass, etc. So is that area not as "spectacular" as the other parts of Glacier? Or is it just that the logistics of getting there are more complicated so less people get to that area?

I guess my real question was: Of the area's that aren't typically or easily accessible as a day hike, what is your top "Must see" area of Glacier? (Assuming only area's that I could get to on a roundtrip of 2 or 3 nights)

Right now I'm slightly leaning towards the GunsightLake to Lake McDonald trip if its available. Seems like the views from the passes will be better, where as the BellyRiver hike would be mostly river valley hiking?
I'd like to do it in two days, and it seems like the first night would be best for GunsightLake (since I'll be doing a shuttle from LakeMcDonald to JacksonOverlook and don't know how "timely" that will be). So I'm trying to decide if the second night would be best at LakeEllenWilson or Sperry?
Both of those campsites say they don't open until August 1st, what are the chances they will be open on July 25th?

I guess IF I picked Sperry for the 2nd night it would mean up and over two different passes on the second day, and then all downhill to LakeMcDonald on the third day? IF I went with LakeEllenWilson, I'd have one pass to go over on day 2 and one on day 3.
From the Backcountry Campsite status page, it looks like 1 site is open at LakeEllenWilson right now for winter/snow camping conditions.

The logistics of getting around to ChiefMtn Customs, and the 1 night limit on Cobalt Lake, make those two trips a bit less do-able (but not totally out of the question!)
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Matt,

Perhaps it is just me but I don't get real excited about Sperry Campground. I don't think the views are that great. Its advantage is primarily that it provides better access to the Glacier and the Chalet.

Now Lake Ellen Wilson does get me excited. It is just a beautiful place and that would be my choice hands down!

Lyman
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

The distances are on the short side, especially from Gunsight Lake to L. Ellen Wilson. If it takes you only 3 hours with a backpack to get from one CG to the next, what will you do the rest of the day?
Swim, photography, walk up to Lincoln Pass and climb Lincoln, return to camp and fix dinner...
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

If the Park Service would allow it, I think I could spend about a week at Lake Ellen Wilson and not get bored. It would even be a spectacular place to take a nap.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Selkie »

llholmes1948 wrote:If the Park Service would allow it, I think I could spend about a week at Lake Ellen Wilson and not get bored. It would even be a spectacular place to take a nap.
Have you 'shwhacked to other end of lake and looked at falls?
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Selkie wrote:
llholmes1948 wrote:If the Park Service would allow it, I think I could spend about a week at Lake Ellen Wilson and not get bored. It would even be a spectacular place to take a nap.
Have you 'shwhacked to other end of lake and looked at falls?
Not yet but I would certainly like to.

Return to “Camping”