Rising Sun Campground video

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Pocketlint

Rising Sun Campground video

Post by Pocketlint »

Here's a video I made Wednesday at Rising Sun CG

I'm no videographer but maybe folks planning on coming to the park for the 1st time will get something out of it. Rising Sun has had a black bear(s) wandering around the campground area for the last month. The rangers have hazed the bear(s) and continue to do so. Sooooo..... keep your food and other smelly stuff locked up.
:wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaG7XVdcpFQ

This clip is about my tarptent I was using this week over in the park. Might be of interest for backpackers. I changed the tieout lines to a different cord, a cord that is reflective at night so I don't stumble over it as easy :wink: Also trying some new line tensioners as well. This is an older Henry Shires tarptent Squall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKXOyN5fzjg

pocketlint :wink:
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Rising Sun Campground video

Post by toddnick »

Nice overview of RS Campground...I stayed in one of the higher numbered sites last year that backed up against the hill/mountain, enjoyed it a lot!!!

Also a nice looking dinner you had there...as you said "if you're going car camping, you might as well eat good!!!" :D
Backpacker1
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Backpacker1 »

Pocketlint,

WOW, that meal looked espically tasty!!! :arrow: What sites would you reccommend for the best shade? As you stated in the video, most folks are out doing something in the day and that is our plan. So the shade would be best for us in the evening. We are headed that way about August 20.

Thanks,
BP1
Last edited by Backpacker1 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

Backpacker1 wrote:Pocketlint,

WOW, that meal looked espically tasty!!! :arrow: What sites would you reccommend for the best shade? As you stated in the video, most folks are out doing something in the day and that is our plan. So the shade would be best for us in the evening. We are headed that way about August 20.

Thanks,
BP1

Thanks about my dinner! It's easy to fix and pretty healthy!

Actually many of the sites are pretty shady. The exceptions are those which were right across from me on the outer perimeter. Those in the sun have magnificent views of the mountains though. They get direct sun in the AM. They are last to get shade in the PM from the cliff.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/glac/images/ ... ingsun.jpg

I try to stay in 20's. I also like the side of the road where I was this time(#9,11,13,15,etc-30). Several sites along here have BIG rocks to camp next to. Many like that aspect of being "out in the mountains" with those big rocks. Just a few yards behind these sites is a beautiful cliff that goes straight up. This cliff blocks the sun in the afternoon. The spaces closest to it get the earliest shade.

One tradeoff might be these sites neaest the cliff are also near dense vegetation at the base. More bugs at times and critters tend to like to travel in the bush back there. That mulie snuck up on me from in there. And bears will use that "corridor" as well. Lot's of trails in there. Two led out to my site. Some folks don't like that. In early June I was there in a spot cross the road from this time(#27). A couple bailed out in a hurry from #23 I think it was when a black bear brushed their tent in the night. Least I was told that. LOLOLOL!!

The interior sites are all pretty well shaded all day. Exception being a few down at the end of the loop where I was(31,34,36,38,41 and across tthe road 32,33,35,37,39) These get a lot of sun, but have good views of the mountains. Those on the perimeter near the entrance(high 40's) are pretty shady as well because the trees are large and fairly closely spaced up there. This is up near the Restrooms, the trash cans and the entrance. Toomuch activity for me in this general area.

I like the area where I was because it is as far away from the entrance, the bathrooms, trash cans, etc. as you can get. I don't mind walking to those things. Traffic is one-way around the loop so I do have cars going by, but then everyone does. Water is close by to all the sites.

Rising Sun is my fave on the East Side. Small, but meets my needs. And it is located well imo.

Feel free to ask. I'm no expert though :wink:

I can't say a lot about the right(upper) loop of sites, the higher numbered ones.. I don't care for it personally. It just doesn't feel riught to me up there. I feel like I could be camped anywhere. Not rational but I'm a weird guy LOL! Maybe someone else likes that upper loop and can comment on it.

In the meantime<,I'll try to get some video of the upper sites and post it along with this one. I'd do it Thursday when I go over to do the Highline, but I'm afraid the construction delays might make that too long a day. Plus I'll be hitching/shuttling back to my rig at Logan. I'll try do it before you get here though.

pocketlint

Return to “Camping”